Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines rebooked my return leg for 2 days after original flight

Singapore Airlines rebooked my return leg for 2 days after original flight

Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
I believe TS book on the Sunday service to IAH. SQ52 will operate on day 2/3/5 only. So either 2 days earlier or 2 days later.

Best bet is to ask SQ to bear 2 days of hotels in Singapore. Or ask SQ to reroute to another US destination. Or TS wan to go MAN for 2 days , can ask SQ to fly him on SQ302 on Sunday to MAN and then 2 days later back to IAH.
Yup only option is to either go home 2 days earlier, we booked nonrefundable hotels so a no go here as we would lose out on over 800 dollars on stay we couldn't pass up the savings, or 2 days later which is another issue because of vacation time and added expenses in Singapore.

I also asked them if they could do anything to help with the extra time in Singapore and they flat out said no.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by WannaTravel92
Yup only option is to either go home 2 days earlier, we booked nonrefundable hotels so a no go here as we would lose out on over 800 dollars on stay we couldn't pass up the savings, or 2 days later which is another issue because of vacation time and added expenses in Singapore.

I also asked them if they could do anything to help with the extra time in Singapore and they flat out said no.
think you should ask the hotel directly. Ask them whether allow to move the dates due to flight cancellation.

you should tell SQ that since they are unwilling to pay for the hotel, then they should be responsible for buying a cash ticket back to IAH on other airline on the same date.
You need to ask them to escalate your demand. Or else you tell them you will complain to DOT.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:14 am

think you should ask the hotel directly. Ask them whether allow to move the dates due to flight cancellation.

you should tell SQ that since they are unwilling to pay for the hotel, then they should be responsible for buying a cash ticket back to IAH on other airline on the same date.
You need to ask them to escalate your demand. Or else you tell them you will complain to DOT.
Ignoring what SQ should do…isn’t the easier fight getting SQ to honor the original rate and send the OP to LAX or SFO? True, disappointing having to fund a Southwest flight back to Houston…it just seems that the winnable argument might be “get me as close to home on the day I originally paid for”.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
DOT only mandated refund which OP can get without any problem. With a 9 months advanced notice of schedule change, OP will not be legally entitled to anything aside from a refund even under the much more generous EU261 rule. Rather than rely on the goodwill of SQ, which may or may not result in anything, I think OP is better off try to get his extra days off and find more $ to stay for 2 more days. At least he will get some certainty.

Last edited by williamluk; Nov 27, 2022 at 4:05 am
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by williamluk
DOT only mandated refund which OP can get without any problem. With a 9 months advanced notice of schedule change, OP will not be legally entitled to anything aside from a refund even under the much more generous EU261 rule. Rather than rely on the goodwill of SQ, which may or may not result in anything, I think OP is better off try to get his extra days off and find more $ to stay for 2 more days. At least he will get some certainty.
believe under EU261, no compensation is due but the airline still have bear duty of care. But then whether this apply to TS? Maybe EU261 should apply since SQ52 fly from MAN-IAH. Technically TS still can get to MAN on time. But he will have trouble flying back to IAH from MAN.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
believe under EU261, no compensation is due but the airline still have bear duty of care. But then whether this apply to TS? Maybe EU261 should apply since SQ52 fly from MAN-IAH. Technically TS still can get to MAN on time. But he will have trouble flying back to IAH from MAN.
I believe the UK version EU261 still wouldn't apply as the ticket is for travel from SIN to IAH on one coupon on one flight number, with no mention of MAN on the actual ticket. If the OP had a stopover in MAN, yes it could apply.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by williamluk
I think OP is better off try to get his extra days off and find more $ to stay for 2 more days.
Exactly this. And the 2 more nights don’t need to be the US$400+ per night hotels. There are plenty of cheaper accommodations in Singapore.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:15 am

Problem is that I transferred all of my chase points over to singapore to get these flights. so even if they do give me a full refund on those points I can't even use them
Ask them for a check and rebooking.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:24 pm

OP, what did you go ahead and do? As others mentioned, I think you should request SQ to put you on a codeshare/Star Alliance flight to IAH via TPE/LHR etc. You may have to call several times and follow up but I think you should be fine. Also, you could perhaps ask to fly to SF/LAX/JFK/EWR and then take a connecting flight to IAH. SQ26/SQ22 lands in NY in the morning/early afternoon, so you can take a connecting flight and reach IAH by evening
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytalkflyer
OP, what did you go ahead and do? As others mentioned, I think you should request SQ to put you on a codeshare/Star Alliance flight to IAH via TPE/LHR etc. You may have to call several times and follow up but I think you should be fine. Also, you could perhaps ask to fly to SF/LAX/JFK/EWR and then take a connecting flight to IAH. SQ26/SQ22 lands in NY in the morning/early afternoon, so you can take a connecting flight and reach IAH by evening
I called Singapore multiple times since I got the email and none of the agents would budge on not charging me the extra 70K points, I have no issues paying the extra 100+ USD for the surcharges/taxes but I don't have the luxury of 70K points. Also most of the flights that cost the 70K extra are also waitlist and they couldn't guarantee me seats.

The agent I originally spoke told me that I should accept the new flights because if I didn't and they might be taken by other passengers, wasn't sure if that was the smart thing to do but I didn't want to lose those and they said they made note in my account that I could change it in the future without issue/ extra fee if I could find a flight with the same amount of points. I looked at multiple star alliance partners to find flights but the agents kept saying that they couldn't see any availability on their end, I could tell they were getting frustrated with me because I kept asking them to look for flights that they couldn't see.

So right now, I am planning on broaching the subject with my boss to ask if they would possibly allow me to miss the extra time, see if I couldn't work while I am over seas.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:38 pm

I am so sorry to hear this dude. It's truly a shame. SQ's customer service is incredibly horrible. Just as good as their service is in flight, its equally disastrous on the customer service side of it. I still think you can work something out. I'm assuming you are based in Singapore, and if you are, I think you should pay a visit to the SQ Ion Orchard office. They might be more receptive and understanding. I feel like you just need to get ahold of the right agent. Don't give up so easily, I think there's a chance
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytalkflyer
I am so sorry to hear this dude. It's truly a shame. SQ's customer service is incredibly horrible. Just as good as their service is in flight, its equally disastrous on the customer service side of it. I still think you can work something out. I'm assuming you are based in Singapore, and if you are, I think you should pay a visit to the SQ Ion Orchard office. They might be more receptive and understanding. I feel like you just need to get ahold of the right agent. Don't give up so easily, I think there's a chance
Thanks, nope based in Houston. Was just trying to make it back home on time to get back to work. Only "office" they have here is the airport line I think and I don't want to badger those poor folks because I know they can't do anything about it.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:48 pm

Gotcha. Yeah I think you should call again and ask to be transferred to the SG office. I think they have more say in decision making than those from the India/Philippines call center. I would also recommend using their support form online and explaining your situation there (including the fact that you transferred non-refundable points from your credit card). Try using the Kris Chat bot as well
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:45 am

We booked nonrefundable hotels that cost a pretty penny so we can't leave a day earlier.

So right now if we do leave on the new day we run into a few issues:
1. Work Vacation time
2. No hotel booked, we would have to pay extra to get hotels for 2 nights
Non-refundable hotels booked 9 months in advance?
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Price of the hotel booking it 9 months in advance and non refundable was over 800 in savings....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.