Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer

Singapore Airlines rebooked my return leg for 2 days after original flight

Singapore Airlines rebooked my return leg for 2 days after original flight

Old Nov 24, 22, 6:04 am
mun

Programs: british airways virgin
All airlines are moving flights around, changing times, cancelling and altering routes. It is really not sensible to book hotels that are not changeable or refundable at this time. I would appeal to the hotel for a date change.
jamienbaker and Deckter like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunhoo View Post
I would suggest asking Singapore Airlines to move you to another SA route on original travel date, for example SIN-TPE-IAH, SIN-SFO-IAH, SIN-LAX-IAH, or even SIN-LHR-IAH. There should be plenty of choices.
Tried this and the rep on the call said she couldn't see anything on her end. I was looking up flights that I saw on Eva, Ana, United, etc and she said they were not available for her to book.

I was looking at every other connector I could think of to get back to houston but was unsuccessful.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:22 pm

So take SIN to anywhere in US on desired day, and buy a cheap ticket to Houston. Are you saying there are NO SINUSA redemptions on your desired day?
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I would suggest asking Singapore Airlines to move you to another SA route on original travel date, for example SIN-TPE-IAH, SIN-SFO-IAH, SIN-LAX-IAH, or even SIN-LHR-IAH. There should be plenty of choices.
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
So take SIN to anywhere in US on desired day, and buy a cheap ticket to Houston. Are you saying there are NO SINUSA
redemptions on your desired day?
There are flights connecting back but I was told I would have to pay about 100 dollars more out of pocket (not an issue) and need another 70k points (the issue)
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTravel92 View Post
There are flights connecting back but I was told I would have to pay about 100 dollars more out of pocket (not an issue) and need another 70k points (the issue)
Just confirmingEWR, JFK, SEA, SFO, LAXALL price higher than your original redemption?
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Just confirming…EWR, JFK, SEA, SFO, LAX…ALL price higher than your original redemption?
I just looked at all of them, and yes they all price higher with only one exception SFO. I could possibly get away with that but the flight lands in SFO at 7 PM at night so my flight back to Houston to either with airport in the city would need to be after 10 PM maybe even 11 PM for due to customs and all that jazz. Looking at those flights they currently run at close to 450 - 500 maybe even more per person so I would need to shell out around 1k for economy seats to make it home hopefully around 9 - 10 AM on August 7th.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:49 pm

I just looked at all of them, and yes they all price higher with only one exception SFO. I could possibly get away with that but the flight lands in SFO at 7 PM at night so my flight back to Houston to either with airport in the city would need to be after 10 PM maybe even 11 PM for due to customs and all that jazz. Looking at those flights they currently run at close to 450 - 500 maybe even more per person so I would need to shell out around 1k for economy seats to make it home hopefully around 9 - 10 AM on August 7th.
I would lock that down NOW. Then, open a CC so you can quickly earn the requisite 70k miles and hopefully switch to an alternative gateway.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I would lock that down NOW. Then, open a CC so you can quickly earn the requisite 70k miles and hopefully switch to an alternative gateway.
I think it would be different and I would be more inclined to do this if I felt I could get a CC and get 70K miles that easy. Spend limits for those type of things are usually 4-6k in 6 months. I will have a very hard time to spend that much to get those points and hope that other flight still exists and swallow the cost, currently around 1k, for basic economy flights from SFO to HOU/IAH to only land back home on the 7th to not make it to work on time anyways if I am unable to get those 70k points. Looking also at flights from the other cities mentioned back to houston are currently around 500-700 bucks which is also high but I can stomach that more than 1k even if its only about a 300 dollar difference.

In all honesty I don't know if I want to commit any more points, than my original 370k points/miles to Singapore airlines. It took me close to 5 years to accumulate that amount. This is the first time I have had experience with them and it has not been good at all and its not all on them but man I don't think I would do this again if I was given the choice.
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:03 pm

Try Southwest for domestic segment.

Pre-purchase oil or put a down payment on a Tesla and then refund after you get your bonus points.

good luck - Jamie
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:21 pm

It's reasonable to pay the tax difference between different routes, but Singapore Airlines shouldn't ask you for another 70k points. It's them who made the flight change and it's their own obligation to protect you to a same day alternative flight.
Old Nov 25, 22, 12:00 am

Tried this and the rep on the call said she couldn't see anything on her end. I was looking up flights that I saw on Eva, Ana, United, etc and she said they were not available for her to book.

I see something wired on SA partner award pools.
Taking 10 Aug 2023 SIN-IAH one-way search as an example.
UA mileageplus offers one-stop choices like SIN-SFO-IAH, SIN-LAX-IAH, SIN-LHR-IAH and SIN-NRT-IAH.
AC aeroplan shows SIN-SYD-IAH as the only available one-stop route. Interestingly, this route via SYD is not listed on UA mileageplus search results.
But Singapore Air website gives you no result at all for such search. I already clicked the STAR ALLIANCE tab.
Given above experience, I would not be surprised if a Krisflyer agent by call is unable to offer you anything.

Perhaps it requires months for SA partners to synchronize their award pools?
Old Nov 25, 22, 3:39 am

Programs: SQ TPPS
I see something wired on SA partner award pools.
Taking 10 Aug 2023 SIN-IAH one-way search as an example.
UA mileageplus offers one-stop choices like SIN-SFO-IAH, SIN-LAX-IAH, SIN-LHR-IAH and SIN-NRT-IAH.
AC aeroplan shows SIN-SYD-IAH as the only available one-stop route. Interestingly, this route via SYD is not listed on UA mileageplus search results.
But Singapore Air website gives you no result at all for such search. I already clicked the STAR ALLIANCE tab.
Given above experience, I would not be surprised if a Krisflyer agent by call is unable to offer you anything.

Perhaps it requires months for SA partners to synchronize their award pools?
The UA awards that you are seeing are all booking class "JY" or "JN" which are only made available to UA customers. It is not a sync issue. The UA flight through SYD is booking class "X" (Economy) and therefore available to *A. I suspect the reason this route shows on Aeroplan only relates to which partners have access to SQ inventory.
Old Nov 25, 22, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
I think it's unreasonable to expect OP to pay more (either miles or cash) to fix an issue that was fully SQ's responsibility.

If this was a revenue fare, we would expect SQ to accommodate the OP on another reasonable itinerary.

My view is that the OP should ask SQ to:

1. Open space on one of its SIN-USA flights in the ticketed class of service. This should not entail additional cost or miles.

2. If there is a code share flight into IAH, book positive space in the ticketed class of service. Another option could be a UA flight if award space is available - I don't expect SQ to pay for UA positive space (though I think they should). If not, OP may wish to self-arrange this domestic leg to avoid having to quibble with SQ.
Given SQ's dismal call center with minimal employee empowerment, this may require submitting the online form. I don't agree with the suggestions that OP should be on the hook for extra costs, this is clearly an SQ caused issue and the airline arrange for alternative flights to fulfill the ticket.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Nov 25, 22, 11:24 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is traveling a day earlier (assuming the flight operates) not possible? You can press SQ to accommodate you onto that flight same as they rebooked you to 2 days later. This would be the best and they can raise that request to revenue management even if there is no more award space that day. This is "easiest" for them out of the other options discussed.

Take a day unpaid leave or so if you run out of vacation days and don't fret about an extra night cost of hotel or so. I would try that route personally, but YMMV.

Ohh and yes, so far out, locking in non-refundable hotel bookings is quite risky though I can appreciate the appeal of getting a good deal.
Old Nov 26, 22, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by demue View Post
Is traveling a day earlier (assuming the flight operates) not possible? You can press SQ to accommodate you onto that flight same as they rebooked you to 2 days later. This would be the best and they can raise that request to revenue management even if there is no more award space that day. This is "easiest" for them out of the other options discussed.

Take a day unpaid leave or so if you run out of vacation days and don't fret about an extra night cost of hotel or so. I would try that route personally, but YMMV.

Ohh and yes, so far out, locking in non-refundable hotel bookings is quite risky though I can appreciate the appeal of getting a good deal.
I believe TS book on the Sunday service to IAH. SQ52 will operate on day 2/3/5 only. So either 2 days earlier or 2 days later.

Best bet is to ask SQ to bear 2 days of hotels in Singapore. Or ask SQ to reroute to another US destination.

Search this Thread