Wiki Posts
Search

PPS value calculation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer
PPS value calculation?

I am trying to understand how PPS Value is calculated. In the past 12 months I took three return trips from Australia to Europe. Twice in Business, once mixed class Business/First. All of the trips credited miles to my Krisflyer account but I only have 5630 PPS value listed in my account summary on the website. The total cost of those tris added to about AUD26500 so I am a bit confused trying to understand where all the money went. I know they don't include taxes - unfortunately SQ never gave me an itemised receipt for my mixed F/J trip so I don't know exactly how much was taxes for that journey, and I wonder if they arbitrarily decided to exclude the money I paid in travel credits towards that journey (not really fair since it was my cash that I kindly let them keep for 18 months). But even so I would expect to be closer to 20000.

The account summary online does also say "Required: 19,370 PPS Value by 31 Aug 20", which was over two years ago, so I think there must be a bug in the web page, but although I've emailed twice asking about it I never got a response. Just wondering if anyone else had a better insight into what money they count towards PPS value and any weird and not-obvious exclusions they might apply.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:34 pm

I also wonder what will be the PPS value for tickets purchased via LH or LX code share flight in SQ metal (SQ25/26 and SQ345/346)
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
In your list of activity (miles statement) does it show any PPS value there, or just Krisflyer and Elite miles for the flights?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by onlySIA
The account summary online does also say "Required: 19,370 PPS Value by 31 Aug 20", which was over two years ago, so I think there must be a bug in the web page, but although I've emailed twice asking about it I never got a response. Just wondering if anyone else had a better insight into what money they count towards PPS value and any weird and not-obvious exclusions they might apply.
Your membership year ends 31 August. Your earned PPS value is shown for your membership year and not rolling 12 months. What you see now is the PPS value you accrued from 1 September to today.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jjjohn
I also wonder what will be the PPS value for tickets purchased via LH or LX code share flight in SQ metal (SQ25/26 and SQ345/346)
It depends on your fare if on an SQ flight number, and if on an LX/LH flight number it depends on how much they pay SQ.

I misconnected FRA-JFK on LH in 2019 (can’t search back far enough to find exact numbers) but when rebooked on the SQ flight FRA-JFK in F I received approx 2,400 PPS value.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
Your membership year ends 31 August. Your earned PPS value is shown for your membership year and not rolling 12 months. What you see now is the PPS value you accrued from 1 September to today.
But my displayed PPS value didn't change since November last year. Not after a return trip SYD-CDG in July in J, not after a trip to LHR in August.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
In your list of activity (miles statement) does it show any PPS value there, or just Krisflyer and Elite miles for the flights?
Yes, the statement shows PPS value for all my trips (double entry for each trip - one with KF, Elite and PPS, the other with 0 KF, 0 Elite and the same amount of PPS). The total (excluding the duplicated values) is $26074 within a 12 month period. I know SMK77 said my membership year is to 31 August but that's my KFEG year. Everything I read online indicates that the first time you qualify for PPS it's any 12 month period.
Silly for me to be so petty over something so trivial (it doesn't seem to offer massively different benefits to KFEG - do PPS even still see better reward space these days?) but I still feel a bit cheated!
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Try calling rather than emailing?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
It depends on your fare if on an SQ flight number, and if on an LX/LH flight number it depends on how much they pay SQ.

I misconnected FRA-JFK on LH in 2019 (can’t search back far enough to find exact numbers) but when rebooked on the SQ flight FRA-JFK in F I received approx 2,400 PPS value.
Thanks! I have quite a few F flights booked via LX, with LX or LH flight numbers (4 digits) but on SQ metals.
Will see.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:27 pm

SQ’s IT has many bugs but I never heard about an issue where PPS value is in the statement but not in the summary. If you are a KFEG and you are looking at the App, you need to swipe right to get to the PPS value.

Qualification is in general the membership year but SQ has always granted PPS where members show more than 25,000 SGD in rolling 12 months.

Nothing we can do here, you need to speak to SQ.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Even the app shows "From 1 Aug 2019" and "To qualify you need 19,370 by 31 Aug 2020" so there must be some weird glitch in their system. I will phone them and report back.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn
Thanks! I have quite a few F flights booked via LX, with LX or LH flight numbers (4 digits) but on SQ metals.
Will see.
Quite a low value, but I got it in a very bargain price.
I can't believe the price when I booked them. 😉
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:53 am
Original Poster

More than two months since I phoned up to get this fixed. Still no resolution from SQ (four phone calls to them, each one ended up with me on hold for a long time before I was told they would have to pass it to someone in another department and get back to me), and one email from them claiming they are working on it). Each time I phone up the person on the phone acknowledges that the individual credits on my statement add up to a much larger number than the account summary (which is still stuck on 2020 numbers) but nobody knows what to do about it. At this rate I am not going to get any use out of the status before it expires! (Though I am wondering whether it's sensible to keep spending large amounts of money on SQ when they can't even do basic addition correctly...)
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA
I am trying to understand how PPS Value is calculated. In the past 12 months I took three return trips from Australia to Europe. Twice in Business, once mixed class Business/First. All of the trips credited miles to my Krisflyer account but I only have 5630 PPS value listed in my account summary on the website. The total cost of those tris added to about AUD26500 so I am a bit confused trying to understand where all the money went.
I might be able to shed a little bit of light on your issue:

Last year, I purchased a ticket in full fare F from ARN to MEL for 5,250 USD. FQTV to LH and FQTS to SQ. Lufthansa awards miles on ticket value and SQ awards PPS value on ticket value. Both ex taxes.

Comparing the credits, they don’t add up: LH has given me less than SQ. So I looked into this and LH calculates FX for the day of purchase and uses historic FX rates while SQ just takes today’s FX.

If you bought a ticket in AUD six months ago and the AUD appreciated against SGD, you receive less PPS value compared to the SGD amount you spend to buy the ticket.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
I might be able to shed a little bit of light on your issue:

Last year, I purchased a ticket in full fare F from ARN to MEL for 5,250 USD. FQTV to LH and FQTS to SQ. Lufthansa awards miles on ticket value and SQ awards PPS value on ticket value. Both ex taxes.

Comparing the credits, they don’t add up: LH has given me less than SQ. So I looked into this and LH calculates FX for the day of purchase and uses historic FX rates while SQ just takes today’s FX.

If you bought a ticket in AUD six months ago and the AUD appreciated against SGD, you receive less PPS value compared to the SGD amount you spend to buy the ticket.
Thanks for posting, and interesting information, it is a bit strange - SGD on the date of purchase would make a lot more sense and surely less effort for them to calculate. But I guess it sometimes benefits the customer and sometimes benefits SQ so not worth getting worked up about (though probably very frustrating if an FX fluctuation suddenly causes one to miss out on renewal of status). In my case the amounts don't come close to matching, by a factor of five or so. My PPS value on the "Account Summary" page hasn't changed at all in over a year, when I've taken two round trips in J and one-way in F, as well as a mixed F/J trip last November that wasn't credited. The summary still says "Earned: 5,630 PPS Value Required: 19,370 PPS Value by 31 Aug 20", which I think relates to a trip I took in Nov/Dec 2019 (the full statement doesn't go back that far so I can't tell for sure). My statement has all the individual trips listed (e.g. my most recent trip, earlier this month, was 7119 according to the full miles/PPS statement but the total value is stuck at 5630. My KrisFlyer miles total is updating correctly but PPS total is still at the value it had at the end of 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.