Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer

Does a cancellation of one leg allow me to cancel the return portion of my flight?

Does a cancellation of one leg allow me to cancel the return portion of my flight?

Old Nov 12, 22, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

I flew Singapore airlines Seattle to Singapore to Bangkok. While in Thailand, the Bangkok to Singapore flight at 11:45 PM was cancelled and they put me on the same route at 8 PM. I lost my paid seat assignment and the 8PM departure left me arriving at 6 PM to BKK from Chiangmai on Thai airways. Am I entitled to change the return for free or get a refund?
As it turned out, I had to leave a week early because my brother died and I wanted to attend the funeral. I bought the ticket from a travel agency, so Singapore airlines wouldnt deal with me. I told the travel agency what had happened and Id like to change the ticket and pay the fees to change it. I doubt if the agency explained this to Singapore airlines but the agency said it would cost $1,650 to change, which includes fees and price difference. I had to buy a ticket that day in order to make it back in time for the funeral. Since getting home, Ive finally found someone at Changing airport that would check to see if Singapore airlines would change the date to April or May, when the price difference wouldnt be as great, or January/February, if they change it for fees only. Ill buy a separate ticket to get to Thailand.
Im somewhat pessimistic that they will do anything. They said to have patience, so I have no idea how much time they will take. It was strange that they did cancel the return portion when I called them 3 days before check in. I thought that only the travel agency could do that, not Singapore airlines on their own.
I just need the rules of changing the return flight or getting a refund given Singapore airlines canceled a leg of the return flight and moved me to another flight that was 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier. Any information that I can have for my probable complaint with the DOT would be appreciated.
Old Nov 13, 22, 12:47 am

So did u accepted the new flight of 8pm to SIN?
if u have accepted, then u wont be able to ask for refund.

did SQ have any 2345pm departure from BKK?
Old Nov 13, 22, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I never accepted it but I also never changed it. Buying the ticket from a travel agency that has little customer service makes it a pain to change anything, even when the situation was caused by the airline, not me. I believe that Singapore airlines has 7 flights a day between Bangkok and Singapore. Going that direction, the 8 PM flight is the latest. My flight the next morning to Seattle would have left at 9 AM. If I changed my itinerary, it would have been 1 day later.
Old Nov 13, 22, 8:56 am

Lesson learned, always purchase direct from the airlines.
Old Nov 13, 22, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Dean1953 View Post
I never accepted it but I also never changed it. Buying the ticket from a travel agency that has little customer service makes it a pain to change anything, even when the situation was caused by the airline, not me. I believe that Singapore airlines has 7 flights a day between Bangkok and Singapore. Going that direction, the 8 PM flight is the latest. My flight the next morning to Seattle would have left at 9 AM. If I changed my itinerary, it would have been 1 day later.
dont think SQ have any 2345 departure from BKK. Even for pre-covid, there isnt any 2345 departure also. So not sure what flight you have book

not sure what is the arrangement with the travel agency. If the original flight is cancel and the travel agency might have accepted the change on your behalf and they reissue the new ticket, then you need to talk to them.

as per earlier thread, SQ wont deal with any ticket issue by travel agency.
Best is buy directly with airline
Old Nov 16, 22, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
dont think SQ have any 2345 departure from BKK. Even for pre-covid, there isnt any 2345 departure also. So not sure what flight you have book

not sure what is the arrangement with the travel agency. If the original flight is cancel and the travel agency might have accepted the change on your behalf and they reissue the new ticket, then you need to talk to them.

as per earlier thread, SQ wont deal with any ticket issue by travel agency.
Best is buy directly with airline
The only problem with dealing with Budget Air is that they have never contacted me after telling me me on October 15 that it would cost $1,650 to change the date from October 31 to October 22. The only way to talk with Singapore airlines is to call them at their Singapore/Changing offices. That would cost me $40-$60, which Im not willing to do. I be already emailed Budgetair and Singapore airlines, giving them the option of a credit towards a round trip ticket, or change the return portion to June 28, and Ill be responsible for buying a one way ticket to Chiangmai. Without that being done in the next two weeks, Ill file a complaint against both and file in small claims court for half the price of my $674 original ticket
Old Nov 16, 22, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I still don't understand the 11:45PM flight. I can't ever recall seeing an 11:45 PM flight from BKK to SIN. It would reach SIN at 03:15am, not typically something SQ do for short hauls. Unless at some point this was planned to be a Scoot operated flight, and it was a SQ codeshare operated by Scoot.
Old Nov 16, 22, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1953 View Post
I've also purchased my ticket from TA. SQ333 ex-CDG is cancelled and automatically rebooked on 335 - that leaves 12 hours earlier.
Went to ION to ask CS to help with rebooking options. And she agreed. It's YMMV as most will push you back to TA.

I did show the CS at ION with the Whatsapp i had with TA that TA is non responsive and unhelpful.
Dean1953 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 22, 7:25 am
Original Poster

After 2 weeks, I finally heard back from Singapore airlines. They said to contact Budgetair about the rebooking. Ive never heard back from Budgetair after my first email, where I said as a last alternative, Ill file complaints with DOT and the Attorney General of California, where Budgetair does business.
I wrote back to both, explaining that if a refund or change of flight to June 28 doesnt happen in the next 2 weeks, Ill file the complaints against both companies. Also, Ill sue both for $1,100; the price of my one way ticket home for my brother funeral. I dont expect to hear back from either. Im retired and can spend plentiful time on social media, telling my story about Singapore airlines and Budgetair.
Old Nov 17, 22, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SQ G,IHG Plat, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

Regarding your problem, this really has very little to do with Singapore Airlines. The agency is the one who "owns" your ticket. Had you purchased from Singapore Airlines directly, you would have been given a choice to accept or decline the schedule change. As it is, your agency accepted the change on your behalf, and that's case closed for Singapore Airlines. By accepting the change, you effectively denied your right to reschedule or cancel the flight.

Now, normally, by submitting the death certificate to Singapore Airlines, they should be able to accommodate you in one way or another, they are usually empathetic about it. However, since your ticket is owned by the TA, they're the one who should've done it on your behalf. I couldn't figure out whether you have tried to contact SQ yourself or not about the matter, and if you have sent them your brother's death certificate?

As I see it, there are two separate issues: the original schedule change and the acceptance that the TA did on your behalf; and failure to accommodate you in case of death in the family. If you combine the two, I don't think the complaint is going to fly, because basically the schedule change happened (and was concluded) before your brother's passing. Complain against the TA that they haven't given you a choice once schedule was changed - Singapore Airlines has nothing to do with it. They only did as they were instructed by the TA. Then, in the second instance, complain (again) against the TA, about not adequately communicating your situation of death in the family to SQ. Normally, if you bought the ticket directly, they would accommodate a reschedule: https://www.singaporeair.com/request.form
Old Nov 23, 22, 9:38 am

Honestly, unless you are a corporate traveler, why would anyone even buy tickets through a TA instead of directly via SingaporeAir.com? Unless of course the TA price is much cheaper than what you see on SQ.com...but that is pretty dubious sometimes (TA may be subisiding the fare).
Old Yesterday, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by bent View Post
Honestly, unless you are a corporate traveler, why would anyone even buy tickets through a TA instead of directly via SingaporeAir.com? Unless of course the TA price is much cheaper than what you see on SQ.com...but that is pretty dubious sometimes (TA may be subisiding the fare).
Sometimes a complex itinerary is easier to book via TA than direct from airlines.
If within same airlines, I will try to search sector by sector to check if the price come out.

Always book direct to save to deal via a third party.
​​

Search this Thread