Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Why do I need to bring a printed paper ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:15 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold

Seems so old school and a burden. Why do I need a paper ticket for a Star Alliance member? The only time I've faced this was super annoying CAI airport where I couldn't get to the check in desk without going through security which wanted this same reason a paper ticket or itinerary. Why............ Why else am I going to the ticketing desk LOL.

In Egypt I get, it's to keep out scammer people from harassing people even at the ticketing gate and security threats, but this is Singapore, do yall also have the same issues?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:52 pm

Where did you find this text? I’ve flown to and from all 4 countries stated both at SIN and the corresponding cities, never been asked for paper ticket or itinerary. Didn’t even know that such requirement existed…
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I don’t know about FUK or CMB, but at MNL - if memory serves me right - the airport has a first set of security scanners right behind the entrance doors to the terminal building, and the staff won’t (there are exceptions) let you in if you cannot show a printed itinerary or ticket to them. Never had an issue in the US needing printed tickets or itineraries. And it’s never ever been an issue flying out of SIN for me.

I think this is not an SQ requirement, and more likely the local airports or governments requesting pax to carry such documents. I don’t remember where it was, but I vaguely remember being at an airport somewhere where the check-in staff argued that printed docs were better as they could always be seen, whereas what happened if your mobile phone ran out of battery? A fair and logical point, I thought, even though I still don’t carry printed docs with me as a back-up…
downinit likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:46 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
I don’t know about FUK or CMB, but at MNL - if memory serves me right - the airport has a first set of security scanners right behind the entrance doors to the terminal building, and the staff won’t (there are exceptions) let you in if you cannot show a printed itinerary or ticket to them. Never had an issue in the US needing printed tickets or itineraries. And it’s never ever been an issue flying out of SIN for me.

I think this is not an SQ requirement, and more likely the local airports or governments requesting pax to carry such documents. I don’t remember where it was, but I vaguely remember being at an airport somewhere where the check-in staff argued that printed docs were better as they could always be seen, whereas what happened if your mobile phone ran out of battery? A fair and logical point, I thought, even though I still don’t carry printed docs with me as a back-up…
Passport should be enough at check in phone or not, they can look me up worst case. I mean they have to check it at checkin anyways LOL. And yeah I had this experience at Egypt too. Just odd. USA - SIN have this requirement lol. There's no such security measure in USA.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:47 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Where did you find this text? I’ve flown to and from all 4 countries stated both at SIN and the corresponding cities, never been asked for paper ticket or itinerary. Didn’t even know that such requirement existed…
on the itinerary itself
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We just did RT SFO-BKK on SQ and were never asked for paper confirmation. I stopped carrying prints of itineraries a while ago.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
but at MNL - if memory serves me right - the airport has a first set of security scanners right behind the entrance doors to the terminal building, and the staff won’t (there are exceptions) let you in if you cannot show a printed itinerary or ticket to them.
When I was last at MNL (admittedly 4 years ago), they were allowing you to pull up a copy on your phone to allow you into the terminal. Have no idea what it is like now, but I'd be surprised if they'd regressed to paper only.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by lokijuh
When I was last at MNL (admittedly 4 years ago), they were allowing you to pull up a copy on your phone to allow you into the terminal. Have no idea what it is like now, but I'd be surprised if they'd regressed to paper only.
Agreed...as of a few weeks ago I got in with a ticket image on my tablet.

Last edited by whughes3; Oct 30, 2022 at 10:43 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Fukuoka? Now that's weird
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I think it's just old 'terms and conditions' language that nobody at SQ has bothered to update. I took a quick scan and found this same language on tickets in my inbox back in 2014. I'm sure it's even older than this.
carrotjuice likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can definitely say it's not needed in MNL but you do need something to verify you have a flight to get into the airport at Manila. (Paper ticket or itinerary or ticket or itinerary on phone, etc)
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Parts of Africa only allow access to the terminal building on production of a plane ticket. It was paper a few years ago, not sure now.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:00 am

I don’t remember where it was, but I vaguely remember being at an airport somewhere where the check-in staff argued that printed docs were better as they could always be seen, whereas what happened if your mobile phone ran out of battery? A fair and logical point, I thought, even though I still don’t carry printed docs with me as a back-up…
A number of years ago, early in the era of mobile boarding passes, my sister-in-law was flying and WN's computer system was down that morning. No one could retrieve mobile boarding passes, computers at the airport couldn't print boarding passes. Checking agents were manually checking lists and handwriting boarding passes. The only people who are actually catching their flights where people who had printed boarding passes at home. As a result whenever I do mobile boarding pass I always screenshot now
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I always have a printed copy of my ticket when I travel international, but I have not had any checkin desk look at it in years, They take my passport and go to work.

I have had been asked for proof of return flights by both airlines and immigration. That (and battery fails) are the main reason for hard copies.

Also, security checks at some airports need paper.

Last edited by exwannabe; Nov 1, 2022 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Also, security checks at some airports need paper.
Security may require a paper boarding pass, not a print of your itinerary.

Immigration officials may want to see proof of onward or return flight, but that's a different issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.