Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ Stewardesses No Longer Forced to Leave after Giving Birth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPPS (24), Qatar Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite RA, ACCOR Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...nding-practice

Was quite shocked to read that such a discriminatory policy was there in the first place, and that the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore appears to have been complicit with it - any other commercial entity with such a policy would have never gotten away with it as it is in breach of the law. More surprisingly, at least 2 members of the Board of Directors of SIA are women and they appear to have done nothing to have such an archaic practice repealed!
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by itadakimasu

Was quite shocked to read that such a discriminatory policy was there in the first place, and that the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore appears to have been complicit with it - any other commercial entity with such a policy would have never gotten away with it as it is in breach of the law. More surprisingly, at least 2 members of the Board of Directors of SIA are women and they appear to have done nothing to have such an archaic practice repealed!
Yeah the whole no-pay leave whilst pregnant and the forced to resign policy after you give birth is just bonkers. I am glad they are moving with the times. But it looks more like they are short of manpower which motivated this shift. I agree the old policy sounds illegal given SG anti-discriminatory laws. Completely unacceptable and long overdue change (pardon the pun).
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:53 pm

I wonder how SQ managed to get away with it for so long? I've always been informed that employment terms in Singapore is purely a "contractual relationship" between employer and employee. But surely if a term contradicts employment law, it's null and void? Interested in the thoughts of people here with knowledge of Singapore employment law, who can credibly advise.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:00 am

The discriminatory policy was shocking.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:49 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I wonder how SQ managed to get away with it for so long? I've always been informed that employment terms in Singapore is purely a "contractual relationship" between employer and employee. But surely if a term contradicts employment law, it's null and void? Interested in the thoughts of people here with knowledge of Singapore employment law, who can credibly advise.

A quick peek at the stockholding structure of Singapore Airlines will tell you why. All of the Asian carriers in general don't have good(for staff) terms and conditions when compared to American and European carriers, for example, AA's first class have been nicknamed staff travel class while non of the Asian airlines have similar nicknames.
nancypants and itadakimasu like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:21 am
Suspended

Hopefully all Asian carriers will follow the West's lead so their staff will be as happy and pleasant as those in the US, and we, their passengers can finally enjoy the level of service provided by AA, United, and Delta, when flying that "archaic" Asian carrier.
commaspace likes this.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Oct 11, 2022 at 7:04 am
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Yes it was disgusting to read but it is Singapore.

Well done state media giving them a free pass. /s
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:59 am
Suspended

Terminating, and then having to replace an employee is a very costly process.

Thankfully, staff shortages have forced SQ to reconsider the outdated notion that an infant raised by its mother rather than in the loving arms of strangers is better for the child and society as a whole.

Once again, we can rely on the drive for
profits taking society to its best and highest place.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPPS (24), Qatar Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite RA, ACCOR Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rt23456p
A quick peek at the stockholding structure of Singapore Airlines will tell you why. All of the Asian carriers in general don't have good(for staff) terms and conditions when compared to American and European carriers, for example, AA's first class have been nicknamed staff travel class while non of the Asian airlines have similar nicknames.
That may very well be the case, but irrespective of whatever T&Cs a company insists on, if they are illegal / breaking the law, I very much doubt they will stand if tested in court. It really is very alarming that the MOM (and by deduction, the government) have been aware of this practice and kept schtum about it.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:34 am
Suspended

That may very well be the case, but irrespective of whatever T&Cs a company insists on, if they are illegal / breaking the law, I very much doubt they will stand if tested in court. It really is very alarming that the MOM (and by deduction, the government) have been aware of this practice and kept schtum about it.
They are clearly not breaking the law.

The absence of any legal action against a well heeled and highly visible (therefore vulnerable) company's is tacit acknowledgement they're clearly not doing anything illegal.

Again, this costly and damaging to the bottom line policy was not motivated by typical corporate greed, but the values the male and female board directors chose to imbue the company with.

Then the subject of this awful, unfair, unjust company returned to this terrible employer, under the same terms, and violated them yet again.

A sympathetic and deceptive media aligned with a tiny minority of vocal activists seeking to undermine the values that most Singaporeans value acting as a vector to infect that well functioning society with the west's disease of wokeness.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:14 am
formerly rt23456p

Guess who are the two most successful individuals in the Singaporean court? If this were in the US, the outcome will be massively if not entirely different.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:53 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by alamah
The discriminatory policy was shocking.
Not to mention that they still called them "Stewardesses"!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 12:54 pm

Are such anti-discriminatory laws that cover this issue on the books in Singapore?

Isn’t SIA directly or indirectly owned by the Singapore government?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by nas6034
Are such anti-discriminatory laws that cover this issue on the books in Singapore?

Isn’t SIA directly or indirectly owned by the Singapore government?
There is no such thing as consumer protection or worker protection policy in Singapore, only government protection.
NetJets Germany and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Equally shocking is your use of the term "stewardess". If you are referencing someone else's use of the term, perhaps the use of quotation marks would have stopped me from replying. YMMV...lol
rt23456p and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Bradhattan; Oct 11, 2022 at 4:36 pm Reason: add quotation marks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.