Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer

SQ Schedule Change - Possible to rebook to different destination city

SQ Schedule Change - Possible to rebook to different destination city

Old Sep 25, 22, 5:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 22
SQ Schedule Change - Possible to rebook to different destination city

Hi SQ flyers,

I received notification about a schedule change which now has me reaching the destination about 1 hour 25 minutes past the original time. The departing flight is also leaving 10 minutes earlier now so all in, the layover has significantly increased as well. This puts me in a weird spot as I have a separately booked connection on Delta within 70 minutes of arrival (impossible to do immigration and bag re-check at SFO). My final destination is SEA so I was wondering if anyone has had success changing destination airport in same country for such schedule changes? I would very well prefer to arrive at SEA direct instead of SFO, even though it would mean an overnight layover in SIN. This is on a saver cash business fare if that makes any difference.
Would appreciate if anyone has any data points to share on this.
prat257 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 5:27 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by prat257 View Post
Hi SQ flyers,

I received notification about a schedule change which now has me reaching the destination about 1 hour 25 minutes past the original time. The departing flight is also leaving 10 minutes earlier now so all in, the layover has significantly increased as well. This puts me in a weird spot as I have a separately booked connection on Delta within 70 minutes of arrival (impossible to do immigration and bag re-check at SFO). My final destination is SEA so I was wondering if anyone has had success changing destination airport in same country for such schedule changes? I would very well prefer to arrive at SEA direct instead of SFO, even though it would mean an overnight layover in SIN. This is on a saver cash business fare if that makes any difference.
Would appreciate if anyone has any data points to share on this.
for a fee, im sure you can change the destination city. maybe no fee, depending on the seats open, etc, repricing the ticket, etc.

But note that they dont owe you anything - your separate ticket with DL is not protected as you bought it on your own and not as one itin.

what aboutjust cancelling your DL flight from SFO to SEA and buying another for a time that works instead of you overnighting in SIN?
DiamondMile likes this.
Rumples is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 5:32 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Rumples View Post
for a fee, im sure you can change the destination city. maybe no fee, depending on the seats open, etc, repricing the ticket, etc.

But note that they dont owe you anything - your separate ticket with DL is not protected as you bought it on your own and not as one itin.
Yes, I get it won't be protected and the matter of fact is the DL ticket is an award ticket so I can cancel it for no penalty. That was just for context.
Found a few threads mentioning they were able to change date/cancel for full refund even when there was a few minute schedule change so would love to know if anyone had luck with changing destination.
prat257 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 5:35 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Rumples View Post
what aboutjust cancelling your DL flight from SFO to SEA and buying another for a time that works instead of you overnighting in SIN?
That's my fallback. Flights are outrageously priced that week from SFO-SEA so if I can save a chunk of miles and an extra leg, I'd very much prefer that. I'd have to spend the night in SFO either ways, so might just do it in SIN.
prat257 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 865
Try your luck, I will say it is unlikely to change destination without repricing.
SFO and SEA are not even the same city pair. If you want to change HND to NRT, it is possible.
Changing the departure date is always accommodated.
jjjohn is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:11 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
Try your luck, I will say it is unlikely to change destination without repricing.
SFO and SEA are not even the same city pair. If you want to change HND to NRT, it is possible.
Changing the departure date is always accommodated.
Yes, good advice. I think worst case I should consider changing departure date so I can avoid the inflated award pricing on SFO-SEA route. I want to book that leg as an award to ensure flexibility until the last moment.
prat257 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:53 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by prat257 View Post
Yes, I get it won't be protected and the matter of fact is the DL ticket is an award ticket so I can cancel it for no penalty. That was just for context.
Found a few threads mentioning they were able to change date/cancel for full refund even when there was a few minute schedule change so would love to know if anyone had luck with changing destination.
SQ is usually very generous when it comes to Irregular Ops.
Try to call in.
Some examples based on my Saver award ticket (most restricted as example):
-Due to Aircraft change. Rerouted to FRA instead of ZRH on Suites.
-Due to 15 mins retimed. Managed to change date, same destination. In addition, got a stopover for free. USD100 not collected.
I imagine revenue ticket would be easier to negotiate?...

SFO to SEA is available for as low as 5K AS miles.
prat257 likes this.
terbangalways is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 12:18 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
SQ is usually very generous when it comes to Irregular Ops.
Try to call in.
Some examples based on my Saver award ticket (most restricted as example):
-Due to Aircraft change. Rerouted to FRA instead of ZRH on Suites.
-Due to 15 mins retimed. Managed to change date, same destination. In addition, got a stopover for free. USD100 not collected.
I imagine revenue ticket would be easier to negotiate?...

SFO to SEA is available for as low as 5K AS miles.
Good to have at least one DP, though it might've been easy to convince to ensure you fly on suites.
SFO-SEA is usually inexpensive but the dates I am looking at, it is 20k AS miles. A couple of days of flexibility and I can score a better rate so I can try to use this time change to push my travel.
prat257 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: MH, AC
Posts: 2,038
Originally Posted by prat257 View Post
I received notification about a schedule change which now has me reaching the destination about 1 hour 25 minutes past the original time. The departing flight is also leaving 10 minutes earlier now so all in, the layover has significantly increased as well. This puts me in a weird spot as I have a separately booked connection on Delta within 70 minutes of arrival (impossible to do immigration and bag re-check at SFO). My final destination is SEA so I was wondering if anyone has had success changing destination airport in same country for such schedule changes? I would very well prefer to arrive at SEA direct instead of SFO, even though it would mean an overnight layover in SIN. This is on a saver cash business fare if that makes any difference.
Arriving 1.5hrs later isn't really a major schedule change. There's no harm asking if you have a few minutes to spare (and lots of patience), but it'll be hard to justify changing your destination for free.

Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
SQ is usually very generous when it comes to Irregular Ops.
Try to call in.
Some examples based on my Saver award ticket (most restricted as example):
-Due to Aircraft change. Rerouted to FRA instead of ZRH on Suites.
-Due to 15 mins retimed. Managed to change date, same destination. In addition, got a stopover for free. USD100 not collected.
I imagine revenue ticket would be easier to negotiate?...
Schedule changes in advance are not IRROPS. In the latter case, all bets are off as the focus is getting you to your destination by whatever means necessary.

Cash tickets aren't necessarily "easier to negotiate". The fare calculation is a lot more complex than awards. The schedule changes have to fit some sort of criteria for an "involuntary" (read: free) change to be granted. I'd be surprised if a 1.5hr schedule change qualifies for a reroute, but it's worth a shot asking anyway.
SilverChris is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 10:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by prat257 View Post
Good to have at least one DP, though it might've been easy to convince to ensure you fly on suites.
SFO-SEA is usually inexpensive but the dates I am looking at, it is 20k AS miles. A couple of days of flexibility and I can score a better rate so I can try to use this time change to push my travel.
Actually my first DP although is in Suites. But apparently I had a more difficult time to ask for the Suites saver space to be released as (according to SQ) it is capacity controlled. Second DP is in coach saver with 15 mins retimed.
Yes, SFOSEA usually starts at 5k then it goes up.
terbangalways is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 10:59 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
Schedule changes in advance are not IRROPS. In the latter case, all bets are off as the focus is getting you to your destination by whatever means necessary. Cash tickets aren't necessarily "easier to negotiate". The fare calculation is a lot more complex than awards. The schedule changes have to fit some sort of criteria for an "involuntary" (read: free) change to be granted. I'd be surprised if a 1.5hr schedule change qualifies for a reroute, but it's worth a shot asking anyway.
Good to know that award ticket is more flexible in this case.
I have a revenue ticket that got 5 mins retimed, and i am trying my luck if i can get a full refund. Considering SQ does not have a black and white retimed guidelines (like LH).
terbangalways is offline  
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
Good to know that award ticket is more flexible in this case.
I have a revenue ticket that got 5 mins retimed, and i am trying my luck if i can get a full refund. Considering SQ does not have a black and white retimed guidelines (like LH).
5 mins sounds like quite a stretch...but yea i guess you could still "try your luck"
terbangalways likes this.
bent is offline  
Old Sep 29, 22, 4:24 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by prat257 View Post
Good to have at least one DP, though it might've been easy to convince to ensure you fly on suites.
SFO-SEA is usually inexpensive but the dates I am looking at, it is 20k AS miles. A couple of days of flexibility and I can score a better rate so I can try to use this time change to push my travel.
Originally Posted by bent View Post
5 mins sounds like quite a stretch...but yea i guess you could still "try your luck"
Just an update with another DP.
With only 5 mins retimed on SQ707 BKKSIN, 6 pax, both J revenue and saver award this Christmas.
1 of us managed to get the revenue ticket refunded FOC.
5 of us managed to change to later date, and later flight FOC.
The allowed changes is +/- 7 days of original departure date.
SQ is indeed very accommodating
terbangalways is offline  
Old Sep 29, 22, 4:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,522
Seems like it, good as a reference though maybe you got some mystical powers of persuasion as well. LH will play hardball and change to timing needs or be at least 1hr or more to get any free changes / cancellations etc. IIRC.
demue is offline  
Old Sep 29, 22, 5:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by demue View Post
Seems like it, good as a reference though maybe you got some mystical powers of persuasion as well. LH will play hardball and change to timing needs or be at least 1hr or more to get any free changes / cancellations etc. IIRC.
LOL. No mystical powers.
I've got bummed few times with LH strict retimed policy.
With this DP, SQ is nothing like LH in this regard.
terbangalways is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread