Search

SQ flight schedule change

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: krisflyer
SQ flight schedule change

Hi FlyerTalk experts,

this is my 1st-time redeeming a flight with miles and encountered issues.

I'm originally booked for J class from SIN to KIX in July 2023 SQ618 departing 1 am. I just received an email from sq that my flight is switched to SQ622 departing at 1 pm and arriving at 9.30 pm. 1 day of my trip will be wasted.

Previously there are 3 flights each day to Osaka and now there only 1 flight.

1) if I don't accept the request hoping that SQ will add more flights since japan is opening. Will the change of flight offer lapse and they cancel my booking which led me to having no confirm ticket since I did not accept the change?

2) If i accept the flight change and eventually sq add more flights to Japan can I request to switch back to the original flight and request a rebooking fee waiver? My ticket was issued before 31st July hence I assume the free rebooking fees still apply?

what are my options since accepting the flight change mean I lose 1 day of my trip..

Last edited by WoShiProDevils; Sep 16, 2022 at 4:05 am
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:47 pm

I had luck calling in to make the rebooking.

I booked J saver for JFK-FRA-SIN-MLE round trip. The SIN-MLE round trip flight got cancelled about 4 months after and I got the email with the automatic rebooking. After calling in, the agent was able to make adjustments even though I didn't see those saver availability online. I had the chance to get a later MLE-SIN flight and ended up with MLE-SIN-JFK, which didn't have any reward availability by that time.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:54 pm

Just ignore it until the schedule updates with the flights you want. You only get one 'involuntary change of schedule' change request - no givies backies. Once you make adjustments, that will be your final 'free' change for SQ. You may have to battle them a bit to get this change, but being direct with the redemption agent on what you are asking for and clearly asking for their supervisor approval if necessary. The supervisor piece is necessary if they need to open up equivalent award availability for you - which they will if you ask nice (or assertive) enough.

Note that schedules keep changing.... I've ran into an issue with a changed award, and rebooked after a few months once an updated schedule appeared. I sh*t you not, the day I rebooked, they changed the schedule of the rebooked flight (to be less desirable) and SQ wouldn't allow me a second change in the itinerary (despite them changing the schedule again...)
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by natel8484
,,,the day I rebooked, they changed the schedule of the rebooked flight (to be less desirable) and SQ wouldn't allow me a second change in the itinerary (despite them changing the schedule again...)
That's unreasonable. Did you escalate to someone more empowered?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
That's unreasonable. Did you escalate to someone more empowered?
Exactly, not sure where the experience of only getting one involuntary change comes from, maybe a badly informed agent. I have this happen as well and after seeking reaccomodation the first time to a better suitable flight / time, the same was possible the second time around a few months later when timings changed again. Maybe depends what agent you get and how firm you are in your requests, definitely possible.

Last edited by demue; Sep 17, 2022 at 4:34 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
To the OP, I would wait before committing to anything. SQ recently announced at a local event their plans to reestablish their full pre-pandemic route network to Japan. Thus, I would foresee more options will be forthcoming - sorry I don't have details on timing - but the SQ announcement covered just a couple specific markets/routes so it does seem that Japan changes are in planning.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:34 pm

SQ is currently selling 2x daily to Osaka for the winter schedule.

And for summer , SQ618 seem to operate on day 1/3/5/7 instead of daily.

so guess just to wait a while. Your seat won’t be gone. There is no dateline stated in the email to accept the changes right ?
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was on SQ620 (2 pax, Biz saver award) and it was dropped on our planned flight date and we were also moved to SQ622 losing the whole day, basically like the OP (reported in another thread about rebookings, anyways).

When I called in, as other posters advised, I was able to request a move to SQ618 and the agent (a well trained one that time) got a supervisor involved and they opened up redemption seats and moved us to that flight which had been our preferred choice from the start, but wasn't available for redemption back when making the booking.

So long story short, if you are not sure on your preferred flight, wait and SQ620 may actually come back and you'll be put back onto it. If you are keen on getting onto SQ618 instead, you can consider calling and using your situation to get the move pushed through as a free change. Good luck.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
SQ is currently selling 2x daily to Osaka for the winter schedule.

And for summer , SQ618 seem to operate on day 1/3/5/7 instead of daily.

so guess just to wait a while. Your seat won’t be gone. There is no dateline stated in the email to accept the changes right ?
thanks yeah just check and indeed SQ618 does fly on 1/3/5/7. My booking was on 6(sat) I guess that why they reschedule my flight.

Originally Posted by demue
I was on SQ620 (2 pax, Biz saver award) and it was dropped on our planned flight date and we were also moved to SQ622 losing the whole day, basically like the OP (reported in another thread about rebookings, anyways).

When I called in, as other posters advised, I was able to request a move to SQ618 and the agent (a well trained one that time) got a supervisor involved and they opened up redemption seats and moved us to that flight which had been our preferred choice from the start, but wasn't available for redemption back when making the booking.

So long story short, if you are not sure on your preferred flight, wait and SQ620 may actually come back and you'll be put back onto it. If you are keen on getting onto SQ618 instead, you can consider calling and using your situation to get the move pushed through as a free change. Good luck.
thanks. originally booked on SQ618. I will prefer SQ620 timing so as to experience SQ business class service as SQ618 is a sleeper service my return flight(schedule unchanged) is also a sleeper service. I guess I will wait for SQ to add more flights to japan. if the next schedule update for summer 23 still has no SQ620 then I will consider switching back to SQ618

I believe in a recent survey over 60%+ said they want to go to Japan and there will definitely be demand.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: A3, AC
I also have an (insignificant) change on my itinerary, can I use that to change departure/return dates as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.