Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrading family flights with Krisflyer miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer

I am new to earning and redeeming Krisflyer miles (or any miles in general), so apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

My partner and I both have our own Krisflyer accounts, with our kids linked to mine.
We have a cash paid booking SIN - WLG return in March next year booked in Economy Standard (W) which I am hoping to upgrade to Business Class using our points. However I know we can't pool points so I'm unsure how and if it will work:

2 adults, 1 child - all in one booking
Husband - has enough points to upgrade 2 pax to business return
Myself - has enough points to upgrade 1 pax to business return

As it's all under one booking, can we only use the points of one of us to upgrade?

If the above is possible and we are able to upgrade, I then noticed when looking online that it says the flights are unavailable to upgrade - I booked in the correct fare class to allow upgrades so my assumption is that there are no business class seats left on my flight? Would I then need to perhaps change flights to one where there is availability?

** Edit to add: I also just got Krisflyer Elite Gold Status, no idea if it makes any difference to my above scenario though **

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jvw1985; Sep 13, 2022 at 12:26 am Reason: Adding more info
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:56 pm

You can call SQ and split your passengers to different bookings, i.e. 1 adult (yourself) and 1 adult + 1 child (husband and child).

Upgrading with miles generally isn't good use for them, and is dependent on availability as well - just because a business seat may be available for cash purchase doesn't mean that it's available for upgrades.

KFEG status doesn't carry much weight in upgrade priority in SQ's eyes.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jvw1985 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by jvw1985
I am new to earning and redeeming Krisflyer miles (or any miles in general), so apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

My partner and I both have our own Krisflyer accounts, with our kids linked to mine.
We have a cash paid booking SIN - WLG return in March next year booked in Economy Standard (W) which I am hoping to upgrade to Business Class using our points. However I know we can't pool points so I'm unsure how and if it will work:

2 adults, 1 child - all in one booking
Husband - has enough points to upgrade 2 pax to business return
Myself - has enough points to upgrade 1 pax to business return

As it's all under one booking, can we only use the points of one of us to upgrade?

If the above is possible and we are able to upgrade, I then noticed when looking online that it says the flights are unavailable to upgrade - I booked in the correct fare class to allow upgrades so my assumption is that there are no business class seats left on my flight? Would I then need to perhaps change flights to one where there is availability?

** Edit to add: I also just got Krisflyer Elite Gold Status, no idea if it makes any difference to my above scenario though **
Non stop flight?
Guessing you have an Air NZ domestic flight in the ticket. Or via AU?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
You can call SQ and split your passengers to different bookings, i.e. 1 adult (yourself) and 1 adult + 1 child (husband and child).

Upgrading with miles generally isn't good use for them, and is dependent on availability as well - just because a business seat may be available for cash purchase doesn't mean that it's available for upgrades.

KFEG status doesn't carry much weight in upgrade priority in SQ's eyes.
Thanks for the advice re splitting the bookings.

Noted on your comment that upgrading with miles isn't the best use for them - so what would be the best use? I see lots of comments on this forum regarding award flights not being available, so at first glance that didn't seem like a good use either. I suppose I've been a little over optimistic on the ability to use my miles..

I've already got my flights to NZ booked, so if I'm going about it the wrong way then any advice or tips on how to be able to upgrade using miles would be appreciated.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
jvw1985 Welcome to FT

Non stop flight?
Guessing you have an Air NZ domestic flight in the ticket. Or via AU?
Flying direct SIN to AKL, then have an Air NZ domestic flight to Wellington

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 14, 2022 at 8:08 am Reason: Combine member's consecutive posts. Multi-quote feature is available.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:12 pm

are the SQ and NZ segments all issued on one SQ 618 ticket? If so, then to perfrom any upgrade, you will have to go through offline as online will only permit upgrade if all segments are on SQ.
As above posters have mentioned, you will have to ask the agent to split the booking for you so they can perform the redemption upgrade using miles from separate accounts.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bent
are the SQ and NZ segments all issued on one SQ 618 ticket? If so, then to perfrom any upgrade, you will have to go through offline as online will only permit upgrade if all segments are on SQ.
As above posters have mentioned, you will have to ask the agent to split the booking for you so they can perform the redemption upgrade using miles from separate accounts.
Great point, thank you.

Both segments are issued on one SQ ticket.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jvw1985
Noted on your comment that upgrading with miles isn't the best use for them - so what would be the best use? I see lots of comments on this forum regarding award flights not being available, so at first glance that didn't seem like a good use either. I suppose I've been a little over optimistic on the ability to use my miles..
Direct redemption into Business or First class represents the best value, although this is not applicable now that you’ve purchased the original ticket in cash. Not sure if upgrade availability is the same as direct redemptions, if so you may find the similar limited availability to be applicable to both - especially as global travel is ferocious post COVID.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Direct redemption into Business or First class represents the best value, although this is not applicable now that you’ve purchased the original ticket in cash. Not sure if upgrade availability is the same as direct redemptions, if so you may find the similar limited availability to be applicable to both - especially as global travel is ferocious post COVID.
it is - u get upgraded to the same booking classes as direct redemption availability i.e. D and I for advantage and saver respectively and P for Y>PEY upgrade (saver only)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.