Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Unable to purchase SQ ticket (India->USA) with US debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to purchase SQ ticket (India->USA) with US debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Let's repeat what was said here before: most US-issued online/physical gift cards, and most likely you got one of them, do not accept any currency except USD. They can be used only in the US, or online at retailers with US IP addresses.

This is the reality and is written in the Terms and Conditions of the card. So take it or leave it.

In your case, one could be creative and have US based Paypal account (Paypal accounts are regional/country based - an account opened in India/Singapore has a different T/C than the account opened in the US), attach that card to that account, then use VPN to log on to US-based VPN server and after that try to log on to SQ site and see if you can make payment with Paypal.

But for me it is really too much hassle - PayPal most likely will require you to prove your residency in the US, linking the gift card might not work, the list goes on.

Fo you the best outcome would be to move on and use that card for spend in USD within the US - online or offline.

Last edited by invisible; Aug 31, 2022 at 10:28 pm
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

GREAT NEWS ! By some stroke of good luck, the transaction went through a short while ago when I called Singapore Airlines one more time to get help. Not sure why the card was rejected the last several times (even though all restrictions had been lifted several days ago).
But I was able to purchase my ticket successfully !

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Online merchants charging credit cards in India (SQ selling tickets ex India falls under this) have to use the Indian secure payment systems. This results in issues with foreign credit cards to pay for anything:
Using foreign CC to buy domestic tickets at Indian OTAs

The US credit cards usually don't work at all for Indian online payments.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Can you just go to an ATM, take out all the funds from the debit card, go to bank, deposit funds, load up your CC (if it’s a limit issue) and buy the ticket this with your CC?
Fantastic idea because Credit cards give you purchase protection, travel insurance etc.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by pdx103
Oh yeah. tried searching on all of those sites....some do not quote singapore fares...and others quote way higher ($200-300 more). The airline website actually offers the cheapest fares and I am unable to find them on any US travel website (I suspect I could use the card on a US merchant site).

And no, SIA website does not accept payment by PayPal otherwise I could have used this card for my PayPal transaction
since you got your ticket, just FYI for future reference:

try ITAmatrix & bookwithmatrix?
BookWithMatrix.com: a tool to easily book with ITA Matrix

i've often found it psosible to find stuff that you can't usually search for via the main page. slight learning curve though
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by pdx103
Trying to purchase oneway ticket on SQ flights for travel from MAA to PDX. US Debit card (Mastercard) gets rejected every time I try the transaction. The charge does not even hit the card. The error message I see is

"An error occurred while processing your payment. Please use another card or payment method, and try again. Contact your local Singapore Airlines office if it persists and quote the error code (Error Code:P1004)"

Anyone else face the same problem ? I tried to use the same card on Qatar Airways website and had a similar error (but different error code). I know my card is active and valid with sufficient funds. Problem seems to be only for ticket purchase with a US card for travel originating in a country outside USA. I've spent several days talking to the bank and SIA customer service. No one can figure out how to fix the issue.

The solution to this is simple. I had faced a similar problem with my citibank cards despite having enabled international transactions.
The SQ App and Website are an International Transaction Getaway. This means that through most cards, you will not be able to pay in Rupees. However, once you enter the card details, you have an option to pay in Dollars. Once you choose to pay in Dollars, you will be able to complete the transaction.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:23 am

Exclamation This Singapore Airlines error P1008 is a scam...

I've used a total of 5 credit/debit cards, all denied, until I thought to Google this p1008 error message. Apparently this has been a problem since 2022. It's so frustrating because I don't know if I should move and and book another airline or wait for them to fix it. They keep telling me they're going to fix, but they continue to waste my time. My flight is tomorrow. They think they are so savvy with their automation, but it's horrible. If you receive this message, I move on to another airline immediately. Don't do what I did. This is day two for me waiting on hold with 3rd party worthless customer service.

Flight #sq157
Flight #sq12

Singapore
Old Sep 15, 2023, 12:08 pm

Wow, this is September 2023...! And, I still seem to have the same issue...! Have been on the phone for over 4 hours across many phone calls with Singapore Airlines staff... They somehow seem to indicate that the "Declines" are due to either an issue with the card or the bank - which the banks have clarified to not be the case. So, looks like SA needs to get their act together on this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.