Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading an Award Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Upgrading an Award Ticket?

My wife and I have a flight from SYN>LAX with a 10-day stopover in Singapore, but are on two separate reservations: hers is an H class ticket bought outright with cash; mine is a B class award ticket. I'd like to upgrade both reservations to Premium Economy, but for my award ticket, it doesn't give me the option online--either with more miles or with cash. Am I unable to upgrade an award ticket generally speaking, or is this something I'd need to do with a phone call?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:33 pm

you can't upgrade an award ticket by using the 'upgrade' option. What you can do is opt for the 'change flight' option and rebook yourself onto PEY award space if there is availability for the date you are travelling. This will require the top up of miles (based on new award chart since this involves a ticket reissuance). This can be done online via 'Manage Booking'.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bent
you can't upgrade an award ticket by using the 'upgrade' option. What you can do is opt for the 'change flight' option and rebook yourself onto PEY award space if there is availability for the date you are travelling. This will require the top up of miles (based on new award chart since this involves a ticket reissuance). This can be done online via 'Manage Booking'.
I see. For my wife's ticket, can I upgrade using cash or does she need miles? It seems online that the miles option is the only one, even though there is PYE space available. Or is this another case of changing the flight, as was my awards booking?

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by northinsouth
I see. For my wife's ticket, can I upgrade using cash or does she need miles? It seems online that the miles option is the only one, even though there is PYE space available. Or is this another case of changing the flight, as was my awards booking?

Thanks for the help!
Yes, if you want to use cash then you use the Manage Booking option and go through the same process as for the Award ticket, but this time the fare difference and any additional taxes will be paid in cash.
bent and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
Yes, if you want to use cash then you use the Manage Booking option and go through the same process as for the Award ticket, but this time the fare difference and any additional taxes will be paid in cash.
Update: just noticed that neither of our flights can be changed online--that link won't work. Call in, I suppose?

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Update: just noticed that neither of our flights can be changed online--that link won't work. Call in, I suppose?

Thanks everyone for the help.
if you had purchased the tickets on their website, they should be serviceable online, provided no segments of the itinerary have been flown yet. Especially since yours is a redempotion ticket, a straightforward 'change' to a higher cabin class / award type should be permsissible. Strange it is not working. In such case, likely have to call in if the buttons to 'change flight' are greyed out.

Travel Agent /OTA bookings cannot be serviced (change / refund) online as passengers are to go back to their travel agent for all servicing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.