Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KrisFlyer or United?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

KrisFlyer or United?

Hi - I am generally a Oneworld traveler, but have a Business Class AUS-SFO-SIN trip upcoming on SQ, so will generate a fair amount of miles. I'm wondering if I there's a benefit to link my KrisFlyer account to my UA account? Sorry that I don't have a more specific question, I'm not really sure about pros/cons. I presume I would like to advance my status on Star Alliance if I end up doing more trips on that network, or also have greater flexibility to utilize the miles - as I live in Texas. Thanks for any guidance.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beermati
I'm wondering if I there's a benefit to link my KrisFlyer account to my UA account?
Really not sure what you're asking. You can't "link" a KF account to a UA MP account. Your choice is to credit the flight to KF, MP, or another program that partners with SQ (which includes AS).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
He can however get SQ PPS credit while crediting miles to United but I highly doubt this is what is being asked.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:08 am

You'll need to fly that route roundtrip probably 3x a year on SQ to get KF gold (50k miles requirements).

UA will give you more flexibility to earn&redeem since home is US but it's not exactly easy to get status, either, since it's revenue based.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by commaspace
..UA will give you more flexibility to earn&redeem since home is US but it's not exactly easy to get status, either, since it's revenue based.
In Business this will happen rather swiftly though.

A West Coast-SIN return is more than 5000 PQP.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weero
In Business this will happen rather swiftly though.

A West Coast-SIN return is more than 5000 PQP.
Not even close. Try 2000 for the RT, since non-preferred partner accruals are capped at 1000 per flight.
commaspace and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:04 pm

Yup^. SQ inventory on UA is non-existence and earning is based on distance flown instead of revenue and is capped because they're not preferred partners like NH.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Stay away from KF - they had three deval in 5 years, and if you want to know what their 'customer service' looks like over phone - read articles in the forum 'how to reach KF agents?'
northinsouth likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not even close. Try 2000 for the RT, since non-preferred partner accruals are capped at 1000 per flight.
On SQ metal? Yes that isn't worth it.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Stay away from KF - they had three deval in 5 years, and if you want to know what their 'customer service' looks like over phone - read articles in the forum 'how to reach KF agents?'
UA awards have also been seriously devalued, and are now dynamically priced.

But UA is considerably easier to deal with, and most changes can be made via the website or app (which is really excellent). I agree KF is not at all user friendly.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Anyone hardened by having an account with a European airline will find it swift and refreshing though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.