Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Why SQ decided to configure some 772ER into regional planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:42 am
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

I am not trying to inflict anything here, but just curious, to why some of the SQ 772ERs receive 2006 J, while others have been configured with 2010RJs like the A330s, couldn't SQ take a similar approach to American, and install 2006 J on all of the 772ERs? Is it because at one point, the amount of short-haul, regional jets(773,A333 etc,) is way too small compared to the long-haul fleet(77W, A380,747 etc.)?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by rt23456p
I am not trying to inflict anything here, but just curious, to why some of the SQ 772ERs receive 2006 J, while others have been configured with 2010RJs like the A330s, couldn't SQ take a similar approach to American, and install 2006 J on all of the 772ERs? Is it because at one point, the amount of short-haul, regional jets(773,A333 etc,) is way too small compared to the long-haul fleet(77W, A380,747 etc.)?
I am so glad SQ didn’t take a similar approach to AA in most regards.

They received different products because there were subfleets meant for different markets. The SV* series received the 2006 J seats because they were primarily meant for long-haul missions. There was no need for that on the SQ*/SR* birds meant for regional flying.

Not that any of that matters now that they’re all retired…
AndDee likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:30 am
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris

They received different products because there were subfleets meant for different markets. The SV* series received the 2006 J seats because they were primarily meant for long-haul missions. There was no need for that on the SQ*/SR* birds meant for regional flying.

Even all of the A333s retired? It is only 10 years old for those birds...
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Even all of the A333s retired? It is only 10 years old for those birds...
They got sold. I believe Air Canada picked a few up.

SQ likes to keep their fleet young.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:57 am
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

But aren't they the same thing essentially? Because the SR are also listed as 772ER, similar to SV planes.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:58 am
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BR787
They got sold. I believe Air Canada picked a few up.

SQ likes to keep their fleet young.
I see why now, based on Wikipedia, it was "Leased", and similar to the first batch of A380 SQ operates, maybe SQ realized that the lease option isn't the most optimal to extend anymore?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
But aren't they the same thing essentially? Because the SR are also listed as 772ER, similar to SV planes.
They served different markets. Different markets get different seats. You'd be pleased to know that SQ has extended this practice to the A350 fleet

There were technical differences between the SV* and SR*/SQ* series. This has been discussed to death on airliners.net and other threads here to a lesser extent.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:31 pm
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

They served different markets. Different markets get different seats. You'd be pleased to know that SQ has extended this practice to the A350 fleet

There were technical differences between the SV* and SR*/SQ* series. This has been discussed to death on airliners.net and other threads here to a lesser extent.
According to the airliners post: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1456525 , some discussed that SQ 772's were all ERs, but SQ decided to derate the rating themselves to have them to optimise for shorter routes. Quite interesting though, also, I know A350MH exist, but what is the difference between an SQ A359 typical and A359 MH in terms of plane themselves, is it technically possible to fly the MH as far as the typical ones? I know TK have practised installing recliners for J on A330s, calling them regional jets and suddenly deploying them to 8hr+ routes, can this be done for MH variants as well?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:13 pm

According to the airliners post: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1456525 , some discussed that SQ 772's were all ERs, but SQ decided to derate the rating themselves to have them to optimise for shorter routes. Quite interesting though, also, I know A350MH exist, but what is the difference between an SQ A359 typical and A359 MH in terms of plane themselves, is it technically possible to fly the MH as far as the typical ones? I know TK have practised installing recliners for J on A330s, calling them regional jets and suddenly deploying them to 8hr+ routes, can this be done for MH variants as well?
The difference between the A350MH and A350LH is in the seats. The A350MH uses Stelia Symphony seats in business class which oddly enough is TK's "long haul" A350/B787 business seat. They're still lie flat, only much narrower than the SQ A350LH/B77W business class seats. The A350LH business class seats are a second gen Singapore specific seats from JAMCO. There is also a premium economy section in the A350LH that doesn't exist in the A350MH.

There is no engine difference. All the SQ A350-900 variants use the Trent XWB-84.

The A350ULR that has a bigger fuel tank than the A350LH and different seating arrangement (much larger business class and premium economy, no economy) but same engine and same seat products as the A350LH.

The one thing I don't know is if there's a difference in crew rest configuration between the MH and LH which would be the limiting factor in flying MH on LH routes commercially.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BR787
The difference between the A350MH and A350LH is in the seats. The A350MH uses Stelia Symphony seats in business class which oddly enough is TK's "long haul" A350/B787 business seat. They're still lie flat, only much narrower than the SQ A350LH/B77W business class seats. The A350LH business class seats are a second gen Singapore specific seats from JAMCO. There is also a premium economy section in the A350LH that doesn't exist in the A350MH.

There is no engine difference. All the SQ A350-900 variants use the Trent XWB-84.

The A350ULR that has a bigger fuel tank than the A350LH and different seating arrangement (much larger business class and premium economy, no economy) but same engine and same seat products as the A350LH.

The one thing I don't know is if there's a difference in crew rest configuration between the MH and LH which would be the limiting factor in flying MH on LH routes commercially.
The Stelia Symphony seats compared to the typically 2013 J certainly have created a lot of rooms of discussions, it is true that 2013 J have an impressive 26 Inch of width, but the sleeping position on the 2013J according to some is much more awkward compared to the Stelia Symphony that simply lies flat.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:28 pm

The Stelia Symphony seats compared to the typically 2013 J certainly have created a lot of rooms of discussions, it is true that 2013 J have an impressive 26 Inch of width, but the sleeping position on the 2013J according to some is much more awkward compared to the Stelia Symphony that simply lies flat.
Ha, there is endless drama for both seats. There's actually two different threads that go on for pages and pages, talking about how bad the seats are, one for each seat product.

I find myself perfect happy with both. I've taken the 2013 J a few dozen times now and have slept perfectly fine.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by BR787; Aug 8, 2022 at 11:28 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:09 pm

A359MH have a lower MTOW than the LH version.

The A359 MH is able to fly non stop from Toulouse to SIN. But if it is with full paxes , then think the max range is around 10-11 hours as the A359 MH can carry around 300 paxes compare to 253 for the LH version.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:28 am

There is no crew rest area on the MH birds. Only the LH and ULR have it.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
A359MH have a lower MTOW than the LH version.

The A359 MH is able to fly non stop from Toulouse to SIN. But if it is with full paxes , then think the max range is around 10-11 hours as the A359 MH can carry around 300 paxes compare to 253 for the LH version.
Do you know where the delta in MTOW comes from? The engine isn't derated for one.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Firemansam
There is no crew rest area on the MH birds. Only the LH and ULR have it.
Gosh the almost 8hr SIN to SYD in these MH planes must be brutal for the crew then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.