Schedule change policy

Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Schedule change policy

Can anyone enlighten me on SQ policy for schedule changes. Can small departure time changes still be enough for a complement rebooking of the flight, say the day earlier?

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:24 am

Dont think so.

even for cancellation, still need much effort to talk to SQ to switch to another day for certain paxes.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:13 am

How much time is the change?

It was possible with my recent experience of a 50-min change. The agent offered to move me to a flight on another day. I didn't accept it though. I insisted on a codeshare flight on the same day that worked better for me. It took a few weeks for them to get the approval.

It was a cash ticket. It might be more difficult for an award ticket.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by QTFLYER
Can anyone enlighten me on SQ policy for schedule changes. Can small departure time changes still be enough for a complement rebooking of the flight, say the day earlier? Thanks
I have taken advantage to cancel for full refund (not date change) for a schedule change of 15 minutes. Both on award and revenue.

Some datapoint. I have also just completed my Equipment swap booking. Booked a Suites from Zurich. But changed to First. Called and emailed few times. Managed to reroute and changed to better date too.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:23 pm

Just received a notification that my flight (booked in Business Saver -- D class) was changed to depart 1h25m later. Called in and they allowed me to change the date of my itinerary. No hassle!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I had a really bad experience with the phone agent today.
I got a schedule change notice and I didn't want to accept the schedule change, so I called SQ and I wanted to ask what my choices were...
During the conversations she suddenly put me on hold and then she confirmed a different flight without asking me if I wanted to take the new itinerary when she came back online.
OMG! It was so bizarre. I booked the SQ24 SIN-JFK because I just wanted to experience the world longest nonstop flight (close enough compared to SIN-EWR) but now she booked me on SIN-FRA-JFK (SQ26) without my confirmation to change... She told me she couldn't change back anymore. I was so angry what she did...
I asked her to connect her manager, but she said her manager was having a meeting and couldn't reach the manager...
She promised me she would escalate the issue and call me back in 3-5 days... I don't believe SQ will call me back.
I usually don't complain, but this is so bad. She messed up my birthday trip plan...
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I got a schedule change notice and I didn't want to accept the schedule change, so I called SQ and I wanted to ask what my choices were...
During the conversations she suddenly put me on hold and then she confirmed a different flight without asking me if I wanted to take the new itinerary when she came back online.
OMG! It was so bizarre. I booked the SQ24 SIN-JFK because I just wanted to experience the world longest nonstop flight (close enough compared to SIN-EWR) but now she booked me on SIN-FRA-JFK (SQ26) without my confirmation to change... She told me she couldn't change back anymore. I was so angry what she did...
I asked her to connect her manager, but she said her manager was having a meeting and couldn't reach the manager...
She promised me she would escalate the issue and call me back in 3-5 days... I don't believe SQ will call me back.
I usually don't complain, but this is so bad. She messed up my birthday trip plan...
Outrageous!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:18 am

What about for tickets booked through a travel agency? Lets say during my trip I want to change the return flight by +/- several days?

Prior experience with EVA tickets booked through a 3rd party, I could make direct changes directly with the airline, is it same with Singapore?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ouch. I guess I got lucky, JFK-SIN was recently cancelled for Thanksgiving so I was rebooked on the morning flight out of EWR. I filled out a form on the website asking to get rebooked for the 23rd as the change would cause me to need a hotel in both EWR and SIN (I live in BOS). I got a call back a few days later and the rep was hard to understand, but I heard the times well enough and he was looking at the connecting flight in FRA. I finally communicate that I wanted the non-stop. It was a little back and forth because they assumed I wanted to change the connecting flight which had no space and then were concerned about the now over 24 hour stop. Once they realized I actually wanted the bonus stopover and already booked a hotel I was finally confirmed.

I just had a scare when I got another schedule change but its only an hour which isn't a huge deal.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:24 pm

Happened to me twice.
No worries. Next time get a hold of the CS name so you could reference the mistake done. And next CS could make the changes you wanted.
I have just gotten another 5 mins schedule change. And trying to cancel for full refund. Will update if this works!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
SQ has never contacted me since then, so I called SQ in Singapore. I think the agent read the note in the reservation and then understood what happened and what I wanted.
She was nice and got me the flight I wanted without any issues!
That was easy
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:49 pm

SQ has never contacted me since then, so I called SQ in Singapore. I think the agent read the note in the reservation and then understood what happened and what I wanted.
She was nice and got me the flight I wanted without any issues!
Good that you finally got the resolution you wanted, although the stress from the previous agent's incompetence wasn't terribly welcomed.

At the SQ call centre, a lot of things pertaining to flight changes operate separately from the "fee charging mechanics". As a result, there is leeway for SQ to waive any fees - it's just whether the particular CSO is empowered to do so, or trained enough to understand that.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
Sorry for bumping this thread, but just wanted to add my experience here. Flying from EWR to SIN to MNL and the SIN to MNL flight was cancelled with no other option but a 7 hour layover. Trying to switch to the JFK flight on the outbound now, but being told that the return back from MNL also has to be to JFK. They won't let me do an openjaw for this. Very surprising that they can't make a switch from EWR to JFK very easily.

This may be a case of hang up and call again, but the agent seems pretty insistent on it. Curious if others have run into this issue with roundtrip tickets booked from JFK or EWR and switching between airports when a flight has been cancelled in advance (flying in January). Also, this is a redemption booking.

Last edited by global_b; Dec 8, 2022 at 12:29 pm Reason: adding in additional context that this is an award booking
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sounds like agent nonsense to me and a case of HUACA. Nothing preventing a swap between JFK and EWR and vv. Actually within the continental US even. Not even the mileage is different in your case and the only "blocker" could be award availability though even that can be handled upon request by agent to supervisor/ revenue management in such cases of schedule changes caused by SQ.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 2:22 am

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
HUACA to the rescue! Called back and now sorted with an outbound from JFK and return to EWR. It had to get pushed to a supervisor to "approve". For what it's worth, there was NOT saver award or even advantage award availability on the flight that I wanted (only waitlist), but they were able to accommodate because of the significant schedule change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.