My Interline Experience on Delta with SQ

Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, KF
My Interline Experience on Delta with SQ

I've posted this on DL's thread as well just in case. Just sharing my interline experience with Delta and Singapore Airlines on separate tickets. Hope this will help those who may find themselves in the same boat. Although I should add the usual caveat: YMMV.

Our OW trip (2 pax) was from DCA-JFK on DL (economy but I have Gold Medallion so we have 4 32kgs/bag allowance) and JFK-FRA-SIN-DVO on SQ (also with 32kg/bag/pax business class allowance). I bought our DL tickets from Delta and used my miles on SQ in business class. These are 2 separate tickets. We have a total of 5 bags to be checked in.

During check in at Delta's counter, I asked the rep if I can do through check to our final destination and showed her our SQ itinerary. She told me she cant do it with the current system. I mentioned that DL has interline agreement with SQ (not sure if this was accurate but I was desperate) so she should be able to see SQ in her system. She looked again and when she can't figure it out, asked her colleague who was more senior and probably have been with Delta forever. So the senior came over and looked at my SQ itinerary, then tried to work on our check in. After several minutes, she asked me to put the first bag (literally a large moving box) on the weigh scale. When she asked me for the first bag, I knew she did it and could through check our baggage from DCA all the way to DVO. The younger rep watched in amazement as the senior rep printed all the 5 tags for our 5 bags. I thought the sight of her eyes glued to what the senior rep was doing was priceless. After the senior rep was done and recapping what she did and what to expect - tags have DVO as final destination and have all the flight numbers listed: DCA, SIN, DVO. The younger rep then asked what did the senior do and how did she do it. The senior rep said, she has to use the backdoor to get into the system that allowed her to process the interline in the system. BTW, we were not given SQ dummy boarding passes. She told us we have to ask for it at SQ check in counter.

What I thought was an easy escalator ride to the departures area from arrivals in T4 did not quite go as thought. The regional DL plane landed in T2 so we had to take the DL shuttle to T4. We went to the SQ check counter to get our boarding passes. I also showed the SQ rep baggage tags from DL and asked him to verify that our bags are accounted for. Took him a few minutes to enter the information in the system and the boarding passes printed with a note that we checked in 5 bags (tag numbers are the same throughout). So far so good. Our only worry was that because our bags was offloaded in T2, that they were not transported in time to be loaded to the SQ plane.

In SIN, once we were at the predeparture gate for our DVO flight, I asked the gate rep to confirm that our 5 bags were loaded. She searched for our bags by our tag numbers and can only confirm that 3 were loaded. She called the ground crew and after a few minutes, the ground crew confirmed that all 5 bags were indeed loaded into the plane. Whew!

Sorry for a rather long post but here's the rundown of what you can do and hopefully this helps others: (a) Ask to through check your bags to the final destination (and mention interline agreement if you must and that it can be done using the backdoor. Ask for another rep who can help (won't hurt to ask); (b) Ensure that the number of checked bags shows on your boarding pass on interlined airline. Confirm at the gate of the last leg of your flight if you happen to have one that your bags are loaded into the plane for peace of mind.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:04 am

I'm surprised DL let you check in bags to SQ on a separate ticket. According to DL's policy the agent shouldn't have checked it through on a separate ticket. Lucky for you!
Stingyguy likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, KF
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I'm surprised DL let you check in bags to SQ on a separate ticket. According to DL's policy the agent shouldn't have checked it through on a separate ticket. Lucky for you!
I guess we were. Can't believe it myself. In my mind, it was a long shot but I thought no harm in asking.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:53 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Im going to close this thread so we can keep all conversation on this in one thread. Pleasee see: My Interline Experience on Delta with SQ

l etoile
Sr moderator
Stingyguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.