Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

possibly missing connection at JFK due to weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold

Booked BOS=>JFK=>SIN in biz, through SQ, ticketed by SQ.

A friend booked this exact itinerary a month ago and the BOS=>JFK flight (on Jetblue) was delayed and she missed the connection. The flights are very full these days so she had to wait 2 days to fly and she had to move back to economy.

Our flight is coming up and weather is looking bad, and with all the operational issues Jetblue and others have had, we called SQ to suggest we move the BOS=>JFK flight earlier.

Agent: "Great, I can do that. It will cost $6000"
Us: "Really? What happens if we miss the flight?"
Agent: "There will be a no show charge"
Us: "Really?"
Agent: "Yes"
Us: "Does that make sense?"

The JFK=>SIN flight in biz appears full for next couple days. We very much do not want to miss our connection.

Has anyone successfully proactively de-risked a situation like this?
  • It appears we can do a same day change on Jetblue for $75 per person but we are afraid the res gets unlinked and our bags won't be checked through.
  • We can drive to JFK, but if we don't show for the Jetblue flight we are afraid we will lose our booking on the SQ flight. And if we call to change that, it will trigger another $6000.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
  • We can drive to JFK, but if we don't show for the Jetblue flight we are afraid we will lose our booking on the SQ flight. And if we call to change that, it will trigger another $6000.

DO NOT skip the BOS-JFK first segment, as it will result in cancellation of subsequent JFK-SIN segment!

The (much) higher fare that you’re quoted is because it’s much closer to departure, and the lower fare class that you had originally booked on is no longer available. Thus the change of BOS-JFK segment timing requires repricing of entire BOS-JFK-SIN at currently available fare class.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Assuming that this is all on one ticket and you're on the BOS-JFK, if you miss the SQ connection at JFK through no fault of your own, you can't be charged a no show fee. The airline would be obligated to rebook you for free (into any available seat in your cabin or below, not just award inventory), although space can be a big problem.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
DO NOT skip the BOS-JFK first segment, as it will result in cancellation of subsequent JFK-SIN segment!
Thanks for confirming. it appears there is no way to cut Jetblue out of this at this point.

The (much) higher fare that you’re quoted is because it’s much closer to departure, and the lower fare class that you had originally booked on is no longer available. Thus the change of BOS-JFK segment timing requires repricing of entire BOS-JFK-SIN at currently available fare class.
That's what we figured.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that this is all on one ticket and you're on the BOS-JFK, if you miss the SQ connection at JFK through no fault of your own, you can't be charged a no show fee. The airline would be obligated to rebook you for free (into any available seat in your cabin or below, not just award inventory), although space can be a big problem.
The no show fee comment was so ridiculous, even after clarifying it would be no fault of our own and this was ticketed and booked through SQ. We figured she just didn't know what she was talking about.

But, we'd be on the hook for hotel and lose 2+ days given the flights are full. AND possibly end up in economy. Joy.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I've had to do many Eastern seaboard connections to SQ at JFK/EWR (but not from locations that SQ sells a connecting flight so I buy my own). It's never ideal but I always give myself a wide berth for the connection...for JFK I usually fly mid morning to arrive around noon-1pm. Last time I got a day room at the TWA Hotel. If you can change the JBU flight for $75 and have the day to spare, I would do that and just pick up your bags at JFK and recheck them for the SQ flight.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpk6h
I've had to do many Eastern seaboard connections to SQ at JFK/EWR (but not from locations that SQ sells a connecting flight so I buy my own). It's never ideal but I always give myself a wide berth for the connection...for JFK I usually fly mid morning to arrive around noon-1pm. Last time I got a day room at the TWA Hotel. If you can change the JBU flight for $75 and have the day to spare, I would do that and just pick up your bags at JFK and recheck them for the SQ flight.
Leaving early morning before the weather, and booking TWA hotel to work through the day, was the exact original plan. Until they wanted to charge us $6k for the change

I think we will now try the Jetblue same day change. Just scared it will unlink our res and cancel our SQ res.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Leaving early morning before the weather, and booking TWA hotel to work through the day, was the exact original plan. Until they wanted to charge us $6k for the change

I think we will now try the Jetblue same day change. Just scared it will unlink our res and cancel our SQ res.
Yes, same day (standby) change sounds like the best option...I assumed that was the $75 option. If JBU puts you on an earlier flight I don't think it will unlink the SQ res. Others may have better insight here.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:28 am

The no show fee comment was so ridiculous, even after clarifying it would be no fault of our own and this was ticketed and booked through SQ. We figured she just didn't know what she was talking about.

But, we'd be on the hook for hotel and lose 2+ days given the flights are full. AND possibly end up in economy. Joy.
Bit of a long shot in the event that your BOS-JFK is truly delayed. See if JFK can reroute you to fly from EWR, or a domestic connection to SFO, LAX, SEA or IAH then fly to SIN from one of those departure points.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: Krisflyer
SQ are pretty good at making sure passengers catch the flight if there's an issue. My flight out of CDG was delayed by 1 hr the other day because of long lines at the security checks, and my connecting flight in SIN was pushed back by 2 hours to accommodate passengers on a late-running flight out of LHR.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by onlySIA
SQ are pretty good at making sure passengers catch the flight if there's an issue. My flight out of CDG was delayed by 1 hr the other day because of long lines at the security checks, and my connecting flight in SIN was pushed back by 2 hours to accommodate passengers on a late-running flight out of LHR.
Yours is SQ connecting to SQ.

OP's situation is different, it's another airline connecting to SQ. Don't think SQ has ability to control late arrival of third party airline, and manage its own departure in light of - even if they are all on one PNR.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GfL
Short check your bags to JFK and check them when you arrive at SQ counter.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Bit of a long shot in the event that your BOS-JFK is truly delayed. See if JFK can reroute you to fly from EWR, or a domestic connection to SFO, LAX, SEA or IAH then fly to SIN from one of those departure points.
Oh man... hopefully it doesn't come to this!
I'm perhaps willing to start in BOS and maybe do a new routing from there, if it's clear we're going to miss it... but a big part of doing this route was minimize the domestic and have the bulk of it in SQ biz.
If we've made it to JFK I don't think I want to risk another connection!
Thanks for the suggestion
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
Short check your bags to JFK and check them when you arrive at SQ counter.
If they can't check it through moving the BOS=>JFK flight up we'll do that. We're just worried they cancel the SQ leg if we mess w/ the BOS=>JFK part. We'll ask whoever is making the change to be extra sure.

BTW, it was my other half calling SQ, and she just told me the extra 6k was indeed a full repricing. It would move BOS=>JFK up but put us in JFK=>SIN in economy light! From biz. *shock*
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:09 pm

Oh man... hopefully it doesn't come to this!
I'm perhaps willing to start in BOS and maybe do a new routing from there, if it's clear we're going to miss it... but a big part of doing this route was minimize the domestic and have the bulk of it in SQ biz.
If we've made it to JFK I don't think I want to risk another connection!
Thanks for the suggestion
True. Ideally you can get through to an SQ agent who can rebook your entire trip end to end due to IRROPS - before you depart BOS. But in the event you can't get through to SQ by phone, and JetBlue says they have no responsibility beyond getting you to JFK, plus there's no ground agent for SQ at BOS... things can get more complicated. At least there's SQ ground presence at JFK to help you reroute. But I sincerely hope you don't have to get to that. Let us know how your trip goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.