SQ and LHR Passenger Cap

Old Jul 15, 22, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, Hyatt Globalist
SQ and LHR Passenger Cap

It appears SQ is adhering to the HAL directive. LHR-SIN Economy fares have been zeroed out until Sept 12. F and J also zeroed out until mid-August when some availability appears.
Old Jul 15, 22, 7:56 am

I think that this is far more likely to be that they are fully booked rather than adhering to any Heathrow plan. Can you really see a large airline such as Singapore cancelling flights from Heathrow on such a large scale? I think the most logical explanation is that maintenance is scheduled to their website, so this is probably the most likely cause of availability not showing.

Last edited by dave31; Jul 15, 22 at 8:02 am
Old Jul 15, 22, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
I think that this is far more likely to be that they are fully booked rather than adhering to any Heathrow plan. Can you really see a large airline such as Singapore cancelling flights from Heathrow on such a large scale? I think the most logical explanation is that maintenance is scheduled to their website, so this is probably the most likely cause of availability not showing.
The flights aren't cancelled...they simply aren't selling any more tickets in Y. The Sept 12 resumption of sales lines up with the HAL directive date of Sept 11. Whether SQ changes its approach given the hardline EK response to the matter time will tell.

Edit: just googled, and this article confirms the same.

Last edited by bpk6h; Jul 15, 22 at 8:14 am
Old Jul 15, 22, 8:55 am

Quite astonishing but thanks for that.
Old Jul 15, 22, 10:08 am

UK - what a shambles.
planesquid and duo like this.
Old Jul 15, 22, 2:42 pm

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA ExecPlat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air View Post
UK - what a shambles.
I could never imagine something like this happening at Changi.
FlyerEC and Singapore_Air like this.
Old Jul 16, 22, 1:12 am
Original Poster

EK agreed to cap sales now...so, SQ isn't alone.
​​​​https://mediacentre.heathrow.com/pre...1/News-1/14065
Old Jul 16, 22, 1:30 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I could never imagine something like this happening at Changi.
You are taking the piss right? Obviously you weren't around during 2020 and 2021 when the garmen took changi to it's knees with its passenger restrictions.

How quick people forget.
Old Jul 16, 22, 12:36 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Singapore Airlines is almost fully booked on every flight in every class ex Europe for all of August.
Old Jul 16, 22, 2:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA ExecPlat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
You are taking the piss right? Obviously you weren't around during 2020 and 2021 when the garmen took changi to it's knees with its passenger restrictions.

How quick people forget.
I refer to LHR's sudden cuts with barely any notice causing airlines to cancel reservations, arising not from government mandates for public health but from the sheer inability to plan and cope with increases in travel demand. I don't think that is what happened at SIN.
MeltingAlf likes this.
Old Jul 16, 22, 2:49 pm

Do you know what are you comparing? LHR is back to pre Covid which they are not able to handle due to staff shortage. Changi's passenger number is far from pre Covid. If today SIN was back to pre Covid, SIN would not possible to handle.

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I refer to LHR's sudden cuts with barely any notice causing airlines to cancel reservations, arising not from government mandates for public health but from the sheer inability to plan and cope with increases in travel demand. I don't think that is what happened at SIN.
Old Jul 16, 22, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
Do you know what are you comparing? LHR is back to pre Covid which they are not able to handle due to staff shortage. Changi's passenger number is far from pre Covid. If today SIN was back to pre Covid, SIN would not possible to handle.
SIN also had retrenched / furloughed airport support staff during COVID... they too are ramping up their hiring aggressively by the sheer volume of advertisements that are placed locally. But, in speaking to some staff at various lounges, apparently about 40% of old staff at the airport didn't return after they found other (better?) jobs elsewhere. So with new hiring come learning curve challenges.

Agree that SIN is somewhat spared the current carnage of LHR because its accelerated rate of passenger growth is not as aggressive as Europe.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jul 16, 22, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h View Post
EK agreed to cap sales now...so, SQ isn't alone.
​​​​https://mediacentre.heathrow.com/pre...1/News-1/14065
Wonder what EK's strategy PR is. Like a petulant child who one day cries loud to vehemently reject LHR's approach, only to reverse and agree. Is it purely a knee jerk reaction to seek public attention?
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Jul 17, 22, 2:40 am

LHR also is recurring thousands of staff as well, with the same story as everywhere many existing staff are not returning. Need time to train new staff and new staff are not familiar witt all the process, that will create long queue, delay baggage handling, slow security screening...

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport also cancelled a lot of flights due to the same reason.

On my way to London, the check-in staff (Business Class) in SIN was so unfamiliar with immigration regulation and process about baggage check through and issuing connecting boarding pass..., she needed to ask her colleague almost every single step. Normally a straight forward check in took over 10 minutes. This was how the queue building up.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
SIN also had retrenched / furloughed airport support staff during COVID... they too are ramping up their hiring aggressively by the sheer volume of advertisements that are placed locally. But, in speaking to some staff at various lounges, apparently about 40% of old staff at the airport didn't return after they found other (better?) jobs elsewhere. So with new hiring come learning curve challenges.

Agree that SIN is somewhat spared the current carnage of LHR because its accelerated rate of passenger growth is not as aggressive as Europe.
Old Jul 17, 22, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
How quick people forget.
Lest we forget.. same sales cap approach, albeit with different intention, and not by the airport operator but the government:
​​​​​​https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...micron-2395081

Search this Thread