Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Itinerary Change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines Itinerary Change

My 77-year-old dad flew from Colombo to San Diego with connections in Singapore and SFO a few weeks ago. His return flight is scheduled for August 14th with 3-hour layovers in SFO and SIN again.

Singapore Airlines notified us that the connecting flight from Singapore to Colombo has been cancelled and rebooked him on the same flight the following day. This essentially means he will now have a 27-hour layover in Singapore on his return flight back to Colombo.

I called them up and after 4 hours being on the line, I came up empty handed.

1. They will not offer a hotel for that 24+ hour layover.
2. They offered alternate flights on different days around the same travel date which are still impractical for my father given his age (instead of 3 hours at SFO and 27 at SIN, they gave some options that has 7 hours at SFO and 17 hours in SIN etc.)

However, when I just looked for tickets in their website, there are decent itineraries (for e.g., the same itinerary as the original if he were to leave one day prior), but they simply are not offering them.

He is booked on a non-refundable economy on one of the lowest booking codes - so not many options to simply cancel and get a refund and rebook also.

I definitely have a backup plan; book a hotel myself during the layover in Singapore, but I am really trying to understand my options since it appears this is just a senseless situation, especially given the traveler's age and given this is freaking Singapore Airlines.

Any pointers on how to deal with this would be appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you ask to moved to 1 day earlier?
Have asked moderators to move to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...krisflyer-500/
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Yes I did. I gave them +/- 3 days on both sides of that date and as I mentioned they just came up with some ridiculous itineraries (like with 7 and 17 hr layovers etc.)
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you specifically say "I want SQ flight #XXX from YYY to ZZZ on day of week, date, then I want to connect to SQ flight....." Don't just ask them for itineraries on certain dates. Tell them specifically the flights you want that you've already checked are operating on the date(s) in question and are legal connections, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If SQ cancelled a flight and rebooked to a day a later, I'm quite sure that it is an option to cancel and get a full refund (then you can book elsewhere) - it doesn't matter that the ticket in general is non-refundable, as this is invol. cancellation. Just ask SQ to cancel and make a full refund.

I would expect a reputable travel insurance to cover the extra costs of a night in SIN caused by SQ cancelling a flight, but you need to check with the insurers.

You should have posted this in the dedicated SQ forum.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:10 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I've moved this to our Singapore Airlines forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.