Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ not taking Amex for flight originating in India?

Old May 23, 2022, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Been trying to book a fare from DEL-JFK (great RT fare at ~USD 3,200 in Business!) and all goes well until the payment page. Then, when I enter my American Express Business Gold card (US based), a message appears in red, saying my Credit Card isn't eligible for the fare selected.

The fare appears in INR, but there is an option to pick payment in USD (which seems slightly higher). Thought I'd try that as well, but no luck.

Am I doing something wrong or that's just how it is for booking flights originating in India?
Old May 23, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Have you tried to purchase it through AMEX travel?
Old May 23, 2022, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsb7140
Have you tried to purchase it through AMEX travel?
I had not, but after reading your post, I did.

Amex travel doesn't allow me to book the return leg in May of 2023 yet. Tried some earlier dates, but the SQ flights I am looking for don't come up as options.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Have more or less decided to fly JAL on this DEL-JFK RT. Turned out to be an even better fare ($2800 in J).

But just for my information, wrote SQ an email asking if they didn't take AMEX on flights originating in India. Will post update once (if?) I hear back.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I bought a ticket out of DEL with a US based Amex a month or so ago without trouble.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:46 am

same here no issues using my gold US Amex card I’ve booked several trips on their website

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I bought a ticket out of DEL with a US based Amex a month or so ago without trouble.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Originally Posted by Grmaht
same here no issues using my gold US Amex card I’ve booked several trips on their website
This is what came up for me several times, a few weeks ago. Maybe a glitch day?

Wrote to SIA, for clarification, but have not heard back. Not holding my breath.

Last edited by knit-in; May 31, 2022 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Update

SQ emailed back eventually (I emailed them on May 23rd), asking for the booking number that i was trying to pay for. Did not have one since i was unable to book the ticket in the first place. They asked for the itin, which I gave them and sent them the screenshot that I posted above.

They wrote back thanking me for the info and the screenshot and said that they would investigate. I imagine they are surprised too.

I was better for the glitch though, because I got a better deal buying J on JAL and have made a potential family vacation of it (stopover price was the same as RT) in 2023 with the family. Hopefully, Japan will be open for tourists by then.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Final Update: Reply from SIA

Dear Mr K,

Hope, this email will find you well.

We are following up on your feedback regarding an online payment with the American Express credit card.

Kindly note, the issue you are experiencing is temporary. Meanwhile, if you need to pay with the American Express credit card, please contact SQ local office to process the payment for you.

Thank you for your patience and support for Singapore Airlines.

Yours sincerely
(Name withheld)
Customer Relations Associate
Singapore Airlines Limited

Not a huge fan of the "go to the local office" solution, but since I don't need this anymore, its moot.

Originally Posted by knit-in
SQ emailed back eventually (I emailed them on May 23rd), asking for the booking number that i was trying to pay for. Did not have one since i was unable to book the ticket in the first place. They asked for the itin, which I gave them and sent them the screenshot that I posted above.

They wrote back thanking me for the info and the screenshot and said that they would investigate. I imagine they are surprised too.

I was better for the glitch though, because I got a better deal buying J on JAL and have made a potential family vacation of it (stopover price was the same as RT) in 2023 with the family. Hopefully, Japan will be open for tourists by then.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Makes you wonder how much money was left on the table?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
This is what came up for me several times, a few weeks ago. Maybe a glitch day?

Wrote to SIA, for clarification, but have not heard back. Not holding my breath.

I realize they said it was a glitch, but I think it's worth noting the screenshot actually doesn't show AMEX as a payment option at all: from left to right, it seems to indicate (via logos) that MC, Visa, Diner's, and UATP cards are accepted; AMEX is conspicuously absent.
knit-in likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scifience
I realize they said it was a glitch, but I think it's worth noting the screenshot actually doesn't show AMEX as a payment option at all: from left to right, it seems to indicate (via logos) that MC, Visa, Diner's, and UATP cards are accepted; AMEX is conspicuously absent.
You are correct. Those options, however, don't appear on the page when one entered the payment information.

Also, the small font on top of the text "SafeKey" (the third option, next to the CVV box) says American Express.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1
Makes you wonder how much money was left on the table?
At least two tickets at around US $3,330 each! Didn't even get to the second one which had separate dates on the outbound.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:07 pm

Well the issue is back. I'm trying to book tickets for 2 days ]from India to New York and Amex won't work. So I called the customer service and they informed me that there is an issue with their website. She told me that she can help me to book the tickets over the phone but there will be $50 per passenger fee. I asked her if she can waive it considering that their website has an issue; she said Nope. So I hung up ha!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by prady
Well the issue is back. I'm trying to book tickets for 2 days ]from India to New York and Amex won't work. So I called the customer service and they informed me that there is an issue with their website. She told me that she can help me to book the tickets over the phone but there will be $50 per passenger fee. I asked her if she can waive it considering that their website has an issue; she said Nope. So I hung up ha!
same. cant get amex to work either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.