Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ11 LAX-NRT... No menus or wine list in First??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

On my recent SQ11 LAX-NRT flight in First, there was no menu nor wine list. Oddest part was when our stewardess knelt down to ask for my selections... without having given me a menu. She apologized and told me that SQ stopped loading menus due to Covid. Seriously? In May 2022? Fortunately, I had printed off the menu and wine list at home so I knew what was available... or thought I did.

As for the wine list or not, while the Krug and Taittenger were catered, SQ failed to load the coveted 2014 Domaine Faiveley Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru listed on my pre-printed wine list.

The cabin closed out at F2 so I figured that I'd have a suite and bed. But when I boarded two off duty SQ pilots were sitting in the middle pair. Is this normal??

Food was mostly good but this cheese plate was something you'd expect to see in AA or UA J, not SQ First.

The whole experience was odd enough that I just chose LH over SQ on a FRA-SIN trip later in the year.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Hi SFO 777
Had this GC Burgundy on 12/5 SIN-FRA Suites
Very poor capacity to cope with the high altitude pressurised cabin - almost no (Burgundian) nose - closed and tannic - pinot fruit dull and flat (both nose and palate)
The airline is often seduced by prestige burgundy forgetting it comes into its own much much later than served and the cabin environment dramatically reduces use and palate spectrum
New world pinot is better suited to these environments but that's a hard sell when customers are often wowed by the label
WISEMEN likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ianassum
Hi SFO 777
Had this GC Burgundy on 12/5 SIN-FRA Suites
Very poor capacity to cope with the high altitude pressurised cabin - almost no (Burgundian) nose - closed and tannic - pinot fruit dull and flat (both nose and palate)
The airline is often seduced by prestige burgundy forgetting it comes into its own much much later than served and the cabin environment dramatically reduces use and palate spectrum
New world pinot is better suited to these environments but that's a hard sell when customers are often wowed by the label
Thanks ianassum. Appreciate your valid comments. But it does not excuse SQ not loading an advertised wine.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
On my recent SQ11 LAX-NRT flight in First, there was no menu nor wine list. Oddest part was when our stewardess knelt down to ask for my selections... without having given me a menu. She apologized and told me that SQ stopped loading menus due to Covid. Seriously? In May 2022? Fortunately, I had printed off the menu and wine list at home so I knew what was available... or thought I did.
Yes SQ has stopped providing paper menus. Even in F, all passengers have to refer to the digital menu. They're unlikely to bring it back - with cost saving as the obvious benefit to the airline.

It's annoying that the digital menu sometimes may not be loaded correctly, or even have complete sections missing. And if the plane is flying over non onboard wifi supported countries, you may not be able to access the digital menu at all - so it's smart to download / print it out at home.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:27 pm

The cabin closed out at F2 so I figured that I'd have a suite and bed. But when I boarded two off duty SQ pilots were sitting in the middle pair. Is this normal??
Unfortunately it is. A pilot friend tells me designated J seats are blocked for pilot rest, but if F is available they may use that instead.

In perspective, you had paid for one seat, why would you think you'd have right to two?
nancypants, bescobar, jxd and 4 others like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
That is one sad looking cheese plate! Was served this on QR J from HKT to DOH:

nunogomes likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Yes SQ has stopped providing paper menus. Even in F, all passengers have to refer to the digital menu. They're unlikely to bring it back - with cost saving as the obvious benefit to the airline.
It's annoying that the digital menu sometimes may not be loaded correctly, or even have complete sections missing. And if the plane is flying over non onboard wifi supported countries, you may not be able to access the digital menu at all - so it's smart to download / print it out at home.
That's simply shortsighted and downright stupid. Yeah, let's just save a few dollars and not print paper menus on a $5K-$10K ticket.
Unimatrix One and pWei like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Unfortunately it is. A pilot friend tells me designated J seats are blocked for pilot rest, but if F is available they may use that instead.
In perspective, you had paid for one seat, why would you think you'd have right to two?
Why would I think that? Perhaps because on truly First Class airlines like EK, AF or LX, I can and do use a 2nd seat without having to worry about non-revs filling up the cabin especially on the inferior SQ 77W cabin.
lamphs and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:00 am

Why would I think that? Perhaps because on truly First Class airlines like EK, AF or LX, I can and do use a 2nd seat without having to worry about non-revs filling up the cabin especially on the inferior SQ 77W cabin.
You bought one seat, not two. And got exactly the one seat that you bought, nothing less. Yes, if another seat is unused, and you get to use it, it's a bonus or gift, not a right. What the airline chooses to do with the other seats that you didn't buy is frankly none of your concern, much lest "worry".
jjbiv, knit-in, minhaoxue and 6 others like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:20 am
jxd

Why does that matter? If another person has booked that seat you wouldn't be able to use it either. Why do you care if he/she is a rev or non-rev pax? I'd suggest booking a private jet in future.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:44 am

I just took SQ Suites on the A380 LHR-SIN-SYD.
Flight attendant had written down the menu on her note pad to avoid making guess scramble with the phone.
I thought the satay and caviar were good but everything else, including the cheese, was practically AA/UA quality.
Of course the crew and seat were amazing.
I do think SQ inflight snack service is quite weak with mostly packaged snacks and don't even get me started about the sleeper service limited options on the 00:45 SIN-SYD.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:10 am
jxd

Originally Posted by chuck1
I just took SQ Suites on the A380 LHR-SIN-SYD.
Flight attendant had written down the menu on her note pad to avoid making guess scramble with the phone.
I thought the satay and caviar were good but everything else, including the cheese, was practically AA/UA quality.
Of course the crew and seat were amazing.
I do think SQ inflight snack service is quite weak with mostly packaged snacks and don't even get me started about the sleeper service limited options on the 00:45 SIN-SYD.
Yup, the sleeper service is horrible. No starter or dessert (on J). I understand some people just wants to sleep but they should give people who wants the option to eat a proper meal service.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
SQ not loading certain wine happens quite frequently to me. Especially when German Riesling is on the menu like currently in J, it is often still not available. They had it out of MUC the other week (and I enjoyed it), but not when heading to FRA, subbed by a NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

On the snack menu, I think it is extremely poor, agree with another poster. Heck in J a cheapo Kit Kat bar is the only chocolate and Lays & Doritos are the chips - one flavor each only of course. Cheap cookies as well, rubbish like the snack meals on the menu. Delicious 1$ cup noodles, yum
Old May 21, 2022, 9:53 am

So it just so happened that there were no crew or non-revs occupying all seats on your flights. AF allows them, as does SQ, CX does, QR does, EK does.
knit-in likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The whole experience was odd enough that I just chose LH over SQ on a FRA-SIN trip later in the year.
You made a good choice. Flew LH BOS-MUC this week and service was great. Printed menus available and no change in food quality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.