Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find the SQ call centre incompetent?

Old May 9, 22, 6:14 am
Original Poster

3 hours (excluding time on hold) to just get a calculation of fare difference for a flight change.
1 hour just to change seats.

It is astounding how useless these guys are.
Old May 9, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I was on hold this AM for literally 3 hours and then gave up and hung up. I have a J ticket, looking to upgrade two segments to F (i literally want to give them money) and they can’t/don’t want it.
Old May 10, 22, 2:05 am

Singapore Airlines is only good when you are actually in the plane.
Old May 10, 22, 5:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Personally, I actually disagree. But only because I know how to skip these otherwise highly excessive wait times, because I hold status (Albeit not top tier) and since the agents I talk to are in Singapore. Yes, not all of them are great, but I have found the majority of them to be very competent and polite, if you tell them exactly what you need. When that was not the case, I simply hung up and tried again. Certainly better than the agents of many other airlines I have talked to in the past (With the exception of CXs Diamond line pre-Covid).

I will echo the sentiment that ground and back office staff at most airlines have significantly dropped in quality over the past few years, which I can only attribute to a reduction in training and a lot more outsourcing being done.
Old May 10, 22, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im Gold but its still impossible to get hold of anyone or get an email reply for weeks. Id dread to think it could be worse with no status at all! Replying to the OP, I dont know whether theyre competent or not because I cant get hold of them!
Old May 11, 22, 7:22 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Speaking to a few of them after very long wait times, I agree, and feel like they have just employed a bunch of new staff who are very fresh on SOPs and still finding the ropes.

On the last call last week it took them 1+ hour to calculate miles and ticket a reserved reward flight on Croatia Air. It doesn't sound like SIAs back end systems are easy to use either.
Old May 11, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
It's been a few weeks now since we've had one of these threads, and only 5 responses within 48 hours. They must be improving!

Singapore customer service

How to get hold on someone on SQ phone line?

Best way to reach SQ Customer Service?

Customer Service Line

Call center can't see same award availability as website

Can't change flight leg online - helpline not answering

No SQ agents available by phone; how to book award on TK+UA?
bpk6h likes this.
Old May 11, 22, 11:23 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't think they are improving much (yet), just some of us are getting tired of responding to threads that all pretty much talk about the same, recognized issue.
lokijuh and bpk6h like this.
Old May 11, 22, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by demue View Post
... just some of us are getting tired of responding to threads that all pretty much talk about the same, recognized issue.
​​​​​​... by people who come here to start a new thread to rant, without first doing a search on the same topic.
bpk6h and NetJets Germany like this.
Old May 11, 22, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rumples View Post
I was on hold this AM for literally 3 hours and then gave up and hung up. I have a J ticket, looking to upgrade two segments to F (i literally want to give them money) and they cant/dont want it.
Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
Speaking to a few of them after very long wait times, I agree, and feel like they have just employed a bunch of new staff who are very fresh on SOPs and still finding the ropes.

On the last call last week it took them 1+ hour to calculate miles and ticket a reserved reward flight on Croatia Air. It doesn't sound like SIAs back end systems are easy to use either.
Yes I think this is an issue. A month or two ago I had 1 to 2 hour wait times. Now it's down to less than 20 minutes, but the person on the phone seem unsure of how to action requests.

Like other threads have mentioned, the Live Chat seems to yield better results and is easier to communicate requests.
Old May 11, 22, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ttravelator View Post
Yes I think this is an issue. A month or two ago I had 1 to 2 hour wait times. Now it's down to less than 20 minutes, but the person on the phone seem unsure of how to action requests.

Like other threads have mentioned, the Live Chat seems to yield better results and is easier to communicate requests.
Where's Live Chat? I only see their automated chat and it doesn't give me a person.
Old May 11, 22, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m View Post
Where's Live Chat? I only see their automated chat and it doesn't give me a person.
You have to type "Live Agent" or something similar in the chat box. Then wait... to be given a chat reference number (not that it adds any value) and be connected to someone (eventually)
Old May 12, 22, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
You have to type "Live Agent" or something similar in the chat box. Then wait... to be given a chat reference number (not that it adds any value) and be connected to someone (eventually)
So this is what I get lol.

All our customer service representatives are currently engaged and we are unable to attend to you at the moment. For urgent assistance, get in touch with us here [singaporeair.com/contactus].
Yesterday I spent 4 hours total on the phone with SQ. First hour and a half I had a lady who knew nothing about changing a redemption flight and argued with me that it was going to cost more points. I told her the available redemption online and she said "Why don't you just book it on there then". I cut my losses and hung up and called back. I got another rep who knew what was going on but for some reason it took almost 2 hours to change my flight. He kept needing to go to the back office for them to recalculate taxes manually, but they were on lunch.
Old May 12, 22, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m View Post
Yesterday I spent 4 hours total on the phone with SQ. First hour and a half I had a lady who knew nothing about changing a redemption flight and argued with me that it was going to cost more points. I told her the available redemption online and she said "Why don't you just book it on there then". I cut my losses and hung up and called back. I got another rep who knew what was going on but for some reason it took almost 2 hours to change my flight. He kept needing to go to the back office for them to recalculate taxes manually, but they were on lunch.
It's frustrating when you know more than the CSO themselves. I typically find that, going through the Mandarin line (they speak English too!) would lead to Singapore based agents who are more competent. Yet they too are unfamiliar with the concept of "free stopover" and often need challenging, as it seems much easier for them to price (and charge more for) individual segments.

And yes, there's always a need to go back and fro to calculate taxes manually, but usually these come back correct after the considerable wait periods.
Old May 12, 22, 10:24 pm

Programs: Alaska
Because there is no such thing as free stopover, it is paid stopover costing US$100 at least.

Search this Thread