Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous Redemption Rate - what is going on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous Redemption Rate - what is going on?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Angry Ridiculous Redemption Rate - what is going on?

Saver one way flight available on United (for 22.5k miles one way) but same one on Singapore (website and thru agent) is 30k. Shows "From 17,500" but when you select it, it becomes 30k. Why?

In another instance, Saver flight available on UA but can't find via site or Singapore agent who finds on another date for same number of miles as on UA.

Another instance, AS non stop flight available with miles on AA but can't replicate.

Wide variation from agent to agent typically from very bad, to barely tolerable. If you successfully used Singapore to go to Hawaii please share how. Been hours and days on this (never had such a bad airlines miles redemption experience)
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by chaigirl; May 8, 2022 at 8:49 pm
Old May 9, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: Alaska
For domestic flights within US, the connection has to be less than 4 hours for one-ticket.

AS rarely makes it a flights available through Krisflyer.
chaigirl likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - connection was indeed less than 4hrs - so weird when the same flight was more on SIA.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by chaigirl
Thanks - connection was indeed less than 4hrs - so weird when the same flight was more on SIA.
that has been a bug for a long time and it does not look as if SQ will fix it ever.

you need find a good redemption agent to book it for one-ticket.
chaigirl likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
We have the same frustration. In fact it’s more than a frustration but I’ll leave that there.

We were trying to book FRA-SIN-FRA in J for Mrs AF mix of miles and cash. Cash fare was 2,500€. Using 50,000 miles, that reduced the fare to 2,200€. So, 50,000 miles are worth 280€.

When you compare what you can get for those miles on short or relatively short haul routes, that looks for all intents and purposes to be a very poor exchange indeed.

AF
Old May 12, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Armchair Flyer
We have the same frustration. In fact it’s more than a frustration but I’ll leave that there.

We were trying to book FRA-SIN-FRA in J for Mrs AF mix of miles and cash. Cash fare was 2,500€. Using 50,000 miles, that reduced the fare to 2,200€. So, 50,000 miles are worth 280€.

When you compare what you can get for those miles on short or relatively short haul routes, that looks for all intents and purposes to be a very poor exchange indeed.

AF
for what it is worth, it is in the t&c that miles don’t have a cash value. The program can set whatever value they may see fit.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Armchair Flyer

AF
Cash + miles has always been known to be very poor value. Same with most FFPs, really.

You can get far more value with an outright redemption. 50k can get you a one way J award from IST/JNB/CPT to SIN, with change.
Armchair Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.