Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged tax after modified booking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Charged tax after modified booking?

I modified a booking that had no change fee and no fare difference, but when I made the change, I was charged again for taxes. I've been trying to reach someone at SQ to find out why I was charged again, but haven't been successful. Is it common to be charged again for taxes? I've requested a refund of the tax but haven't heard back. Am I missing something and is it possible this is a valid charge?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I'm not sure about your particular circumstances but different airports and countries have different taxes. I recall a redemption booking I made with TK for SYD/SIN/ARN had vastly different taxes to SYD/BKK/ARN.

My guess is your change resulted in additional taxes and they feel they should charge you for those.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:57 pm

Plus if the redemption involves a change in airline, incremental fuel surcharge is required. LH, LX, TK etc. all have much, much higher fuel surcharge than SQ.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I'm not sure about your particular circumstances but different airports and countries have different taxes. I recall a redemption booking I made with TK for SYD/SIN/ARN had vastly different taxes to SYD/BKK/ARN.

My guess is your change resulted in additional taxes and they feel they should charge you for those.
That's something I hadn't thought of. The change I made involved eliminating one short layover, so instead of jfk-fra-sin-dps, I switched to a flight the same day that is just jfk-sin-dps. I would think that would lower the taxes but maybe not. Hopefully someone from customer service eventually responds or I can get through to SQ.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Plus if the redemption involves a change in airline, incremental fuel surcharge is required. LH, LX, TK etc. all have much, much higher fuel surcharge than SQ.
Yeah I didmt think about the fuel. I eliminated Frankfurt as a stop and will be taking the nonstop JFK to SIN, so maybe that requires more fuel overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.