Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hints and Tips when Flying with Scoot

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Nothing exact or special. I just have no experience with low-cost airlines within Asia. Maybe some are not punctual, don't enforce inflight rules, have bad websites, rowdy passengers. I picked up some impressions from upthread, but maybe some have yet to be noted. Feel free not to hold back. What I do know though is that I like Singapore Airlines and that Scoot is the low-cost airline of the Singapore Airlines Group.
Flown Scoot a few times both day and red-eye...all on SIN-TPE-SIN. I chose ScootPlus and found it quite reasonable. These flights were on the 789 at the time. I don't have any experience on their single aisle aircraft. Like most LCCs, the costs are unpacked...so you choose what you want to pay for. I recall Scoot tried to request pax not to bring food/drinks on the flight. This wasn't an issue for me on 4hr flights. I don't know how strict they are re this matter. All my flights were on time.

As for Taoyuan-Narita...not sure if you are connecting or spending time in Taipei/Tokyo...but if you plan to spend time in both cities then Songshan-Haneda is the way to go if you can get a reasonable fare.
vanillabean, rt23456p and aritrixa like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
My 18 year old son is due to fly Scoot in 9 days time from London Gatwick to Singapore via Bangkok.

Do you disembark and re-embark the plane at Bangkok, or do you stay on the plane at Bangkok?

Any problem buying alcohol from Gatwick duty free and taking it to Singapore, or will it be confiscated at Bangkok?

Thanks I’m advance.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:21 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
Thanks. I've downloaded a lot of videos on speaking Indonesian for my travel entertainment. Which reminds me, I need to fully charge my big usb power bank thingie. Though, I hope to sleep quite a bit. (Past experience suggests: not! ). I follow a restricted diet, so can't actually eat any of Scoot's food. But, I haven't got a doctor's certificate for that ... so I will have some discretely hidden packets of nuts and chocolate to discreetly snack on. Though, I plan to do a reverse Ramadan and have a big meal before getting on the plane and I may not be hungry. I'll make sure that I have empty water bottles to refill.

I don't mind paying for a few extra services, so might actually pay for USB power. I hope they accept my VISA debit card. I've read reports of only accepting credit cards, not debit.

I'm not sure I have a suitable blanket to bring, and only have today to buy one. I was thinking of bringing a big coat I have. It's warm and padded, and has lots of pockets for heavy things should my carry on approach the magic 10kg.
On Air, I don't think any airline would accept debit, as I heard debit card can only charge when there is connection to the Internet (Server) Side
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:27 am
formerly rt23456p

Flown scoot a million time already on their 787s pre-pandemic, where they constantly offers sub400SGD rt SIN-CAN in scoot plus, when SQ and CZ charge 420SGD for Y, there isn't just any advantage of the tradition full service except the unlimited drinks. Also, the Scoot plus load factor was always on the low side, while they can always get 90%+ in econ, and I am always invited to board first, in the front cutting the queue.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Booked a Scoot flight as KF Silver. Upon checking, they've assigned me a seat in last row as previously mentioned here is the norm lol.

How do I know if I got board me first as well in my reservation? Don't see anything in manage booking.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oil-man
My 18 year old son is due to fly Scoot in 9 days time from London Gatwick to Singapore via Bangkok.

Do you disembark and re-embark the plane at Bangkok, or do you stay on the plane at Bangkok?
I didn't disembark at Bangkok when I flew London -> Bangkok -> Singapore -> Bali in April. YMMV.

Apologies for not being able to answer your question on alcohol. I don't drink so never tried.

Originally Posted by rt23456p
On Air, I don't think any airline would accept debit, as I heard debit card can only charge when there is connection to the Internet (Server) Side
I paid with a debit card during one (or more?) of my flights with Scoot.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Aug 7, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:54 pm
formerly rt23456p

Last time i have shoped on flight was ages ago, SQ 772ER from CHC-SIN back in 2014, remember they said no debit, maybe things have evolve over the past eight years?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:51 am

I didn't disembark at Bangkok when I flew London -> Bangkok -> Singapore -> Bali in April. YMMV.

Apologies for not being able to answer your question on alcohol. I don't drink so never tried.

Interesting that you didn’t disembark at BKK.

If remaining passenger to SIN stay on the plane at BKK, how do Scoot do a proper roll call to ensure that someone doesn’t get off the plane, but leave their unaccompanied baggage to travel to SIN?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:06 am
formerly rt23456p

If remaining passengers to SIN stay on the plane at BKK, how do Scoot do a proper roll call to ensure that someone doesn’t get off the plane, but leave their unaccompanied baggage to travel to SIN?
For the TG SYD-HKT-BKK flight(TG478), people from SYD will stay on the plane during the stopover process. I believe they will give you not allow you to leave the aircraft without a boarding pass, and even if you want to terminate the remaining part of the trip, you need to contact one of the FAs, and they will make a record and therefore unload your luggage, I believe this is the process, at least in China, however, making passenger leaving the plane is ideal when time allows.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Last time i have shoped on flight was ages ago, SQ 772ER from CHC-SIN back in 2014, remember they said no debit, maybe things have evolve over the past eight years?
I do remember that the flight attendant said that he would try the card and see if it worked. It did. Maybe it still doesn't work on all flights. It was in a standard (looking) wireless pin machine.

If remaining passenger to SIN stay on the plane at BKK, how do Scoot do a proper roll call to ensure that someone doesn’t get off the plane, but leave their unaccompanied baggage to travel to SIN?
I don't remember any check on board apart from maybe checking numbers. If the process is as suggested by @rt23456p, then that could explain things. Not sure even that would be watertight, however.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:52 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Booked a Scoot flight as KF Silver. Upon checking, they've assigned me a seat in last row as previously mentioned here is the norm lol.

How do I know if I got board me first as well in my reservation? Don't see anything in manage booking.
To be honest, 90% at SIN, 100% Away, scoot boarding is a complete mess anyways, doesn't matter u have priority or not, unless you fly in ScootPlus, where u will be invited to board first. The funny thing about scoot is that they always invite people with special assistance needed to board first(even before plus), and people will always try to pretend they need special assistance and then board together with there 10+ friends on the trip.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:02 pm

As you say YMMV, and my son had to deplane at BKK and re-embark the plane. He did have duty free from LGW with him, but even though he disembarked the plane, it was accepted that the liquids where sealed in a bag at LGW and he was allowed to take the duty free liquids from BKK to SIN.

I thought I would add this for the record in case someone has the same question in the future.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
To be honest, 90% at SIN, 100% Away, scoot boarding is a complete mess anyways, doesn't matter u have priority or not, unless you fly in ScootPlus, where u will be invited to board first. The funny thing about scoot is that they always invite people with special assistance needed to board first(even before plus), and people will always try to pretend they need special assistance and then board together with there 10+ friends on the trip.
Guess I'll just have to suck it up.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Guess I'll just have to suck it up.
Boarding procedure went well for me in MNL. They called BOARD ME FIRST as first ones to board the flight together with passengers seated in Row 1. I may have been lucky, though.

Last edited by SpeedAdvantage; Aug 28, 2022 at 7:42 am
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Anyone have advice on the best Scootplus seat on the 787?
I'm tall (195cm), and currently assigned myself 1K (bulkhead).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.