A380 vs. B777

Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
A380 vs. B777

I was wondering if folks with ample experience flying F on both the A380 and B777 could opine on the differentiation between the two products as related to external noise levels, and degree of impact during turbulent weather. Mrs B does not sleep well on long haul flights and we have our first trip to Asia on the horizon, and total flight time will be the longest flights we have ever done. I suspect external noise levels are in part a function of location of F cabin, but otherwise no discernible difference. I am particulary wondering if A380 due to its overall size is less affected by turbulent weather. Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Noise level is definitely better (lower) on the A380. Regarding performance during turbulent weather, I am sure there are studies about comparing the two, but as you can imagine, encountering very turbulent air is hardly predictable. so you can have an aircraft performing better than others but flying on an unlucky day and therefore suffering a lot of shaky moments, while a a less performing aircraft can fly on a perfect day and therefore not experiencing any stressful moment. Hence, I would not be concerned for something you cannot really predict or control. They are both very safe and large planes.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:19 am

A380 is significantly quieter than 777. Plus the new Suites are much, much better than F class.

I remember my first A380 flight, partly due to excitement, from SIN to SYD. Didn't sleep a wink on a red eye flight, but arrived still somewhat refreshed and ready to start the day.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
I always find the a380 quieter and seems to glide through turbulence a lot smoother. The b777 seems to bump around a bit feels a bit more raw overall.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Brostman
Mrs B does not sleep well on long haul flights and we have our first trip to Asia on the horizon,.
I presume from some of your other posts (and having the choice of A380 and 77W) it will be from LHR. Heading eastbound to SIN where all SQ flights are "overnight", the A380 is almost certainly better.

However, heading back to LHR , if you wife is not a good sleeper, I'd highly recommend taking a day flight, irrespective of whether 77W or A380. You don't feel the need or pressure to sleep (although dozing is of course possible), and you will get to enjoy the F experience fully. Currently there is 9am departure, but I think eventually the flight after noon is coming back as well, and as someone who also doesn't sleep that well on aircraft, I would take either of these over the over-nighters, whatever aircraft you could get.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Brostman
I was wondering if folks with ample experience flying F on both the A380 and B777 could opine on the differentiation between the two products as related to external noise levels, and degree of impact during turbulent weather. Mrs B does not sleep well on long haul flights and we have our first trip to Asia on the horizon, and total flight time will be the longest flights we have ever done. I suspect external noise levels are in part a function of location of F cabin, but otherwise no discernible difference. I am particulary wondering if A380 due to its overall size is less affected by turbulent weather. Any opinions greatly appreciated.
I flew the inaugural A380 out of Heathrow in seat 1A on Singapore 15 years or so ago. After half a day in the lounge and then a further long delay out on the tarmac, I didnt even realise wed taken off, but to be fair Id lost count of how many pints of Krug Id liberated by that point.

Since that time Ive lost count how many times Ive flown F in the A380 (or 777 for that matter) on Singapore and half a dozen other carriers. I would definitely say the A380 is marked by its quietness, certainly at that end of the aircraft. But no doubt the Krug helped.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:24 pm

Sure it hasn't lost count on you how many times you've said that you've lost count... LOL.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
However, heading back to LHR , if you wife is not a good sleeper, I'd highly recommend taking a day flight, irrespective of whether 77W or A380. You don't feel the need or pressure to sleep (although dozing is of course possible), and you will get to enjoy the F experience fully. Currently there is 9am departure, but I think eventually the flight after noon is coming back as well, and as someone who also doesn't sleep that well on aircraft, I would take either of these over the over-nighters, whatever aircraft you could get.
Personally I don't like SQ308 (the daytime flight) having taken it twice over the past 6 months, F notwithstanding. You're at SIN very early in the morning, so the lounge serves mainly carb-rich breakfast items. And you arrive at LHR in the late afternoon, which unfortunately meant by the time I got to my central London hotel, it's already early evening - too short a runway to tire myself out to sleep, and I suffer from terrible jetlag for about a week after.

That said, if you get a seat by the right window, on a day flight, you'd get a stunning view on approach to Heathrow... a bird's eye view of all the familiar London landmarks.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
if i booked an a380 suite, is there a possibility they downgrade to a 777? does it happen often on the SYD-SIN route? im scarred from all of the continually swapping of plane types on BA
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Personally I don't like SQ308 (the daytime flight) having taken it twice over the past 6 months, F notwithstanding. You're at SIN very early in the morning, so the lounge serves mainly carb-rich breakfast items. And you arrive at LHR in the late afternoon, which unfortunately meant by the time I got to my central London hotel, it's already early evening - too short a runway to tire myself out to sleep, and I suffer from terrible jetlag for about a week after.
I'm the opposite, vastly prefer it to overnight flights. Have a good night sleep, get up, shower and head to the airport around 7:30am. Avoid sleeping on the plane (which is easy, as it arrives in London at 10-11pm Singapore time, and I normally don't sleep during the day), go to my hotel, go for a walk around, have dinner and by then, having been up for around 20-21 hrs I'm really tired, get a good nights sleep and no jet leg. I think it's great for people who have difficulty sleeping on planes, and the key is to not sleep on this flight at all. For those that sleep really well on planes then the overnighters probably work better.

And for those treating themselves to their first F flight - why waste valuable Krug quaffing time sleeping. (tongue in cheek on the Krug, but the one day time F flight I've taken - SQ 326 to FRA - the whole service was simply amazing).
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
My absolute favorite flight has always been SQ318 (SIN-LHR). Historically departure was around 12:30-1pm with around a 7pm London arrival. Changi is actually quite quiet at this time relatively speaking as it's outside of the morning and evening connection rush. I'm looking forward to the return of this flight to the schedule.
Singapore_Air, lokijuh and FlyerEC like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to all.... I expected the consensus that A380 might be the smoother ride, if turbulence is encountered, but it was insightful that the consensus was A380 was clearly quieter than 77W.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I presume from some of your other posts (and having the choice of A380 and 77W) it will be from LHR. Heading eastbound to SIN where all SQ flights are "overnight", the A380 is almost certainly better.

You are correct that LHR would be my departure point. Our trip actually originates ORD, but was looking into LHR in order to experience A380 new suites. But now that SQ has commenced the A380 with new suites on the JFK-FRA-SIN route, that opens up a new departure point. Thank you for your insights.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by VSLover
if i booked an a380 suite, is there a possibility they downgrade to a 777? does it happen often on the SYD-SIN route? im scarred from all of the continually swapping of plane types on BA
Highly unlikely, because the A380 has so many more seats than the 777. They would have significant difficulty rebooking all passengers on alternate flights.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

One final question for those of you who were gracious enough to respond to my earlier inquiry. This question is specific to the new suites on the A380. In one of the many "reviews" I have read from the travel blogs, the reviewer suggested the tray table was large enough for two to dine in the suite. My question is this, presumably the guest pax would have to sit on the folded down bed in order to share the tray table, and I was wondering if this was truly feasible from a perspective of the distance from the edge of the bed to wherever the tray table might extend out to. Thank you for your insight/experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.