Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777W vs. A388 First Suites

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:08 pm

Sounds like the flyertalker was in 1F and the couple was in 2F/3F.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry, somehow I mixed up the layout/ location of the double bed. Call it morning blur.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I think it was a matter of just 3F swapping with 1F. 2F would stay put and as a result the couple could open 1F and 2F to have the double bed.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:32 pm

I don't understand your point at all. Why on god's green earth would they want 1a/1f? They are a couple so they would want 1f/2f.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pesos
I don't understand your point at all. Why on god's green earth would they want 1a/1f? They are a couple so they would want 1f/2f.
Ahh, got it, haha, as I said I probably should have finished my coffee first. My bad.
pesos likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by burg_rtw
Lead stewardess came to me and said “you were aware of the seat changed, right?”. As no one had approached me at all before, I told her I was not, to which she then politely asked if I could move to 3F to accommodate a couple traveling together and I replied back that I was happy with my originally assigned seat. She very rapidly understood and I asked her to raise the partition before the other passenger arrived to avoid any uncomfortable situation.

A few minutes later, when I was already settled in, bags stored and sipping the Krug, Ms 2F knocks on my suite door, sans mask. She said “Hi, my name is Ms. 2F (respecting privacy here) and I understand the flight attendant explained the situation”. I said, yes, she did, but I am happy with my seat and 3F has too much noise and light from the galley. Ms 2F rolls her eyes to me and leaves.
This sounds very unusual for SQ and I am sorry for your experience.

Pushy passengers have been seen on SQ before. For the cases where I don't want to change, I usually reply that I yet have to see a request for a seat change where I end up with a better seat. That usually keeps the discussion short and crisp.
burg_rtw likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: LH HON; UA GS; AF Plat; AA PP
Originally Posted by onlySIA
Ouch! Either inexperienced crew or VERY important passenger. Good on you for standing your ground, even if it was awkward. What a shame flight crew didn't anticipate that it might be unfair to you.
Also poor planning by SQ, if they had made 2 and 3 the interconnecting Suites, there wouldn't be a tension between what's desirable for couples and what's better for for floor space + proximity to the galley. Instead they made 3 the smallest and noisiest.
Totally agree with the point that 2/3 should be the ones to interconnect.

It had been a while since I had last flown SQ, but I do believe it was more the case of not getting the better crew in the pool and also very poor coordination with ground personnel.

On another unrelated topic ... my second fear did not materialize: cabin temperature was actually very pleasant and I didn’t feel warm in the PJ and bed linen
sl00001 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I bet SQ was regretting this A380 suite setup.

BTW I've been asked a few times to change to a worse seat so to accommodate some parent/child or old couples. I always accommodate such requests and got the worse seat for the flight. Yet to see any Karma paying back.

My wife once flew SQ A380 Suite alone. She was asked to move from 1F to 3F and she accommodated the request. Turns out 3F has a broken TV so she couldn't watch any inflight movies. The crew gave her S$300 coupon as a compensation that can be used for flight or Krisshop.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kakapinky
I

My wife once flew SQ A380 Suite alone. She was asked to move from 1F to 3F and she accommodated the request. Turns out 3F has a broken TV so she couldn't watch any inflight movies. The crew gave her S$300 coupon as a compensation that can be used for flight or Krisshop.
$300 ....which route she was flying?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:23 pm

Finally flew suites - JFK-FRA. "Helpful" wind made it a very short flight, but still enjoyable. 2/3 definitely should have been the connected suites. Lucked out at check-in - I asked which seats were available and was able to move directly across the aisle to avoid having someone in front of me, and the crew accommodated my request to open up the divider and allow me to use the double suite for the duration of the flight (the move in turn allowed another passenger to utilize the opposite double suite as there were only 4 of us total in F). Definitely made it a nice and comfortable open feel. Were the divider to be up, I think the bed would be a bit narrow and cramped feeling for my broad shoulders. Not enough time to really sleep on this flight, but with the prop-up system it was quite comfortable for watching tv. HDMI worked great so was able to watch my own content from my phone on one suite screen while using my laptop via hdmi on the other suite screen. Food was good - caviar spread was amazing; roast duck was passable - dessert was good. Whiskeys were good. Crew was fantastic.
Singapore_Air, bpk6h and sl00001 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Hi SMK77
My A380 suites from ZRH in December was downgraded to the 777 in F as expected
I note you say the "food and beverage is better" on the 777
Id be interested to know how specifically
Thanks
Ian
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ianassum
Hi SMK77
My A380 suites from ZRH in December was downgraded to the 777 in F as expected
I note you say the "food and beverage is better" on the 777
Id be interested to know how specifically
Thanks
Ian
SMK77 was comparing F to J on the 77W.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:03 pm

With 4 pax max in 77W F the ratio of crew to pax is great and you never really have to wait much for the bathroom either. (Not that it is a problem on A388 Suites). Otherwise food and champagne and such there will be no difference.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:05 pm

After flying suites and ANA 773 F back to back I was reminded of how much quieter the a380 is (it had been many years) - almost on par with the 787. Love ANA F but it's a bummer it's only on the 777.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SMK77
This sounds very unusual for SQ and I am sorry for your experience.

Pushy passengers have been seen on SQ before. For the cases where I don't want to change, I usually reply that I yet have to see a request for a seat change where I end up with a better seat. That usually keeps the discussion short and crisp.
We were in a similar situation but experience was a complete 180. I was traveling with my 5 year old and 1A/1F was already taken when we booked, so we had 2A and 2F. I kept checking and 1A/1F never opened up until we were at the check-in counter; but the check in agent wasn't able to assign me 1A, asked me to check at the boarding gate. Got to the gate and again the gate agent tried moving me to 1A but couldn't... During boarding, I spotted the passenger seated in 1F as politely ask if we would swap 1F for 2A so we could have the connecting suite, he was kind enough to say yes. Once we boarded, before 1F or myself was able to open our mouths and let the crew know we agreed to swap, we were informed the flight crew had already block off 1A for us, the reason why both the check in and gate agent ran into troubles.

We've been on the 4pax F cabin, the old Suites and the new Suite and have to say the new Suites is a far superior hard product; we've also been on Etihad Apts and the new Suites are even more spacious than that, although SQ should have went all out and installed a shower in that humungous bathroom.

Back to my 5 year old, it was his first time in First/Suites since he was a lap infant, and I may have ruined his air travel for life. He was mightily disappointed when we boarded our next flight, AA on the 321T transcon F...
Singapore_Air, sl00001 and onlySIA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.