Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
2005 - 2019 discussion can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/493018-book-cook-thread-47.html

Menus can be viewed at https://inflightmenu.singaporeair.com/home
Print Wikipost

Book the cook 2020 onward

Old May 11, 2022, 6:39 pm

How smart of them introduce local hawker dishes like Bakut Teh which cost > $10 in Singapore and market it as a whole new thing.
Sounds like a clever way to sway customers away from more expensive offerings like the lobster :P
Old May 11, 2022, 7:36 pm

Well at least Song Fa is "branded" bak kut teh. Good that they help draw attention to local brands. Likewise Qiu Lian ban mian.

But other hawker dishes like nasi lemak isn't Punggol, neither is bak chor mee Orr Kee, nor laksa 328 Katong - so there is, yet again, inconsistency in the approach.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Hawker/Heritage Food Promotion? Just a wild guess.
Hermit Food Program? (in the spirit of cost cutting...)
Old May 11, 2022, 9:56 pm

Never had the Lobster Thermidor on Singapore. I have BTC available out of SIN next week. Is it still worth choosing?

Last edited by SFOtoORD; May 12, 2022 at 9:14 am
Old May 12, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by endet
You can always pre-select from the onboard menu (not BTC) starting 7 days before your flight.
This isn’t the case for my SFO departure this week. Each Inflight Menu item says “View Only” and “Order on board.”

A separate email I got from Singapore says “In support of our sustainability efforts to reduce food waste, you may not get your preferred meal choice.” Maybe if they let me pre-select they could avoid that issue.
clatrell and Armchair Flyer like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by demue
Then I'd call the Singapore number and try it there, they should be able to do it. I wouldn't fully trust what some agent told me that I got connected to after dialing the Dutch SQ number. God knows in which contact center you ended up and some agents make up rules or are just not well trained as during Covid ops were scaled down and ramping up with quality staff has been a challenge across the industry.
I am close to giving up - tried to get hold of the English speaking line, on hold for > 2 hours and call not answered. Tried chatbot - no luck. I tried calling also the French speaking line, and again received the same response, since it's an LH issued ticket, please contact them to arrange this....
Tomorrow at the airport I will try and visit the SQ counter to see if they can help (hopefully I can still make it within the 24 hours cut off time).

But truthfully, as usual SQ customer service is really a 0 star service (even before the pandemic time, they were never forthcoming).

Cheers!
rt23456p and Armchair Flyer like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
This isn’t the case for my SFO departure this week. Each Inflight Menu item says “View Only” and “Order on board.”

A separate email I got from Singapore says “In support of our sustainability efforts to reduce food waste, you may not get your preferred meal choice.” Maybe if they let me pre-select they could avoid that issue.
Thanks for the feedback. I wonder why that is. Does it give them some advantage or is this forced by a local policy?
Old May 12, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by endet
Thanks for the feedback. I wonder why that is. Does it give them some advantage or is this forced by a local policy?
I’m not sure, but as a customer it’s annoying. Particularly on an $8k fare.
Armchair Flyer likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist

Yes, I never focus on this but I just checked my upcoming EWR-SIN and it's the same "view only." Whereas my outbound SIN-NRT-LAX allowed the preselection of inflight menu options. If there's a particular meal on the menu important for your diet, I would just flag one of the cabin crew early on to politely indicate the meal you would like.
SFOtoORD likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:07 pm

Never had the Lobster Thermidor on Singapore. I have BTC available out of SIN next week. Is it still worth choosing?
I prefer the latest version with potatoes fondant compared to the previous one with saffron rice - feels that it's an overall lighter, healthier meal. Go for it!
SFOtoORD likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:09 pm

I would've thought allowing people to choose in advance is the best option to reduce overall food wastage. Go figure...
SFOtoORD likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I am allergic to mushrooms so never get to try it
Old May 12, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Y+ BTC and pre-order inflight menu options SYD-SIN next week.

chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:10 pm

Just wondering if you ever got a reply? BTC is greyed out for me as well, but of course they continue to advertise it. And I assume that "up to 24 hours" means that there is a cut-off time of 24 hours? As opposed to less than 24 hours?
Old May 15, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold, Accor Plat, Hyatt plat, HH diam, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I am close to giving up - tried to get hold of the English speaking line, on hold for > 2 hours and call not answered. Tried chatbot - no luck. I tried calling also the French speaking line, and again received the same response, since it's an LH issued ticket, please contact them to arrange this....
Tomorrow at the airport I will try and visit the SQ counter to see if they can help (hopefully I can still make it within the 24 hours cut off time).

But truthfully, as usual SQ customer service is really a 0 star service (even before the pandemic time, they were never forthcoming).

Cheers!
It’s probably too late for your flight but I was able to choose from the “book the cook” menu for our upcoming flight booked via LH. I used the LH locator to bring up my ticket on the SQ website. I booked every meal apart from breakfast as I was getting an error message every time I tried to pick a breakfast item.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.