Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
2005 - 2019 discussion can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/493018-book-cook-thread-47.html

Menus can be viewed at https://inflightmenu.singaporeair.com/home
Print Wikipost

Book the cook 2020 onward

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I'll (hopefully) have my first Suites flight on SQ in October this year on FRA-JFK, and taking a brief glance at the options available for "Book the Cook," there are just not very many (6, and not a lot of them I am head over heels for as of now) for those traveling in Suites and Business class. And the choices are exactly the same for both of those classes. Funny thing is there are even more options to choose from if you fly Premium Economy on the same route.

Not sure if the website is correct, if they have not updated it yet, if they will gradually add more options in the future, or if this is a sign of budget cuts. Then again I was somehow able to choose a meal on "Book the Cook" that wasn't on the website's choices when I flew SQ in 2018.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Goldeneyeuro
I'll (hopefully) have my first Suites flight on SQ in October this year on FRA-JFK, and taking a brief glance at the options available for "Book the Cook," there are just not very many (6, and not a lot of them I am head over heels for as of now) for those traveling in Suites and Business class. And the choices are exactly the same for both of those classes. Funny thing is there are even more options to choose from if you fly Premium Economy on the same route.

Not sure if the website is correct, if they have not updated it yet, if they will gradually add more options in the future, or if this is a sign of budget cuts. Then again I was somehow able to choose a meal on "Book the Cook" that wasn't on the website's choices when I flew SQ in 2018.
I suspect that's accurate. The outstations have never had a ton of options for Book the Cook. I think the JFK book the cook had the same 6 or 7 options for a decade
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I suspect that's accurate. The outstations have never had a ton of options for Book the Cook. I think the JFK book the cook had the same 6 or 7 options for a decade
The options have been cut WAY back recently, in what looks like must be a cost-saving measure.

Pre-covid options out of JFK (which indeed hadn't changed in a long time):
https://web.archive.org/web/20170702...menu-new-york/

Current options out of JFK:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...menu-new-york/

One notable change is that the famous lobster thermidor is only available ex-SIN now it seems, whereas it used to be available out of many of the major outstations. (Granted, the reports of varying quality at the outstations may mean that change it is not such a huge loss.)

The new BTC menu is also less premium-seeming than the old menu, although I'm not sure how often the premium elements of the old menu were fully executed ... I had the seabass with "crab-mashed potato" out of JFK once and it was good but there was no evidence of crab in the potatoes.

See also FRA for example:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...enu-frankfurt/
https://web.archive.org/web/20170702...enu-frankfurt/
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:30 pm

How far in advance of a flight should I expect Book the Cook to become available? I have a reservation in the J cabin for MEL-SIN (SQ228) and SIN-xMXP-BCN (SQ378) about three months from now, and there appears to be no way to make a meal selection.

Also, is there a way to check/enter special meal requests online? My wife is celiac, and I would like to check whether they already have GFML noted, or request it if not, but I can't find it while managing the booking.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by BernardBlack
How far in advance of a flight should I expect Book the Cook to become available? I have a reservation in the J cabin for MEL-SIN (SQ228) and SIN-xMXP-BCN (SQ378) about three months from now, and there appears to be no way to make a meal selection.

Also, is there a way to check/enter special meal requests online? My wife is celiac, and I would like to check whether they already have GFML noted, or request it if not, but I can't find it while managing the booking.
It seems it's only 7 days before now ? (my flight below)

Otherwise, I suggest using the ChatBot to see if someone can help you request the GFML. Don't bother calling as you'll be on hold for hours.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...s-the-chatbot/

Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:55 pm

OK. I saw the "7 days" thing too but assumed that applied to the regular menu and not Book the Cook.

I will try the chatbot for GFML. Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:36 pm

Chatbot didn't help; it just redirected me to a page where the option doesn't exist. But I have now submitted an enquiry using the webform so I'll see how that goes.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
If those are indeed all the options for FRA-JFK in Suites, I might just stick to the regular menu. Has anyone had the honey glazed duckling or Bavarian pork belly?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
If those are indeed all the options for FRA-JFK in Suites, I might just stick to the regular menu. Has anyone had the honey glazed duckling or Bavarian pork belly?
It does indeed look like the selection could indeed be beefed up. I'm glad the wines don't appear to be cut back.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Gold, MAR Plat, Hilton Gold
I've heard mediocre reviews on the duckling - namely that the meat is a little dry and the sauce cloyingly sweet. The pork belly seems to be well-reviewed by some on this forum, although if you're leaving FRA vs. transiting I'd assume whatever time you spent in Germany gave you your fill of pork already. On my flight in NOV last year in F I just opted for the Lamb Rendang off the normal in-flight menu which was well executed (curried dishes also seem generally hard to screw up on planes, even in Y)
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Made the mistake of ordering the shrimp and scallops ex-JFK because the entree selections on SQ23 were all meh (short rib, kai krapow, fried rice with fried pork), but what I got was even worse than the PY meals ex-JFK/EWR pre-covid:

2/10 would not recommend.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by truncated
Made the mistake of ordering the shrimp and scallops ex-JFK because the entree selections on SQ23 were all meh (short rib, kai krapow, fried rice with fried pork), but what I got was even worse than the PY meals ex-JFK/EWR pre-covid:

2/10 would not recommend.
Ouch! Thanks for the headsup.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:38 pm

Have a flight from MEL and there's a total of 5 BTC options and they all seem terrible. Are they really limited to 5 choices these days?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Have a flight from MEL and there's a total of 5 BTC options and they all seem terrible. Are they really limited to 5 choices these days?
At least you are lucky to have it available flying ton SIN. From my flights from ZRH and MNL in May no BTC is available. Only for flights departing from SIN
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by endet
At least you are lucky to have it available flying ton SIN. From my flights from ZRH and MNL in May no BTC is available. Only for flights departing from SIN
Wow. Didn't know they were canceling ALL outposts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.