Book the cook 2020 onward

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:59 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: bgriff
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 7, 22, 12:13 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: LHR
Programs: OWE, *G
Posts: 195
Quite underwhelming selection ex-FRA in Suites. Any recommendations from the following?

BTC:
* Braised Pork Cheeks with Caraway Jus
* Chicken in Massaman Curry
* Khao Tom Moo (Thai style porridge)
* Kway Teow Nuea (Thai Beef Noodle soup)
* Viennese Fried Spring Chicken
* Wholesome Ballontine of Chicken with Farro Salad
* Wholesome Red Lentil Souffle with Farro Salad

Inflight Menu:
* Pan Seared Pike Perch in Winemaker Style with Riesling Sauce (Chef Johann Lafer, Germany)
* Kai Krapow
* Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce
* Nanjing Salted Duck Noodle Soup
Andrew35K is offline  
Old Aug 7, 22, 3:25 pm
  #167  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 7
I will be on the same flight 25 out of JFK-SIN in Suites class in late October. Talk about ridiculously underwhelming food choices. This is first class fare?! Laughable.
ChuckyPIckles is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:55 am
  #168  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Posts: 351
I flew SQ221 Sin- Syd 2 August ( code share LX9028 ) Business Class and despite attempting to Book the Cook over the previous several weeks , my selection would not save nor would the inflight menu selection save either.

I rang Singapore Airlines whilst I was in the USA 3 weeks prior to my flight and was told to contact Swiss Airlines as it was a code share booking.

I did say that I could not envisage Swiss being able to select my menu choice however it fell on deaf ears.

Can we not have some kind of co-operation with code share bookings and not be deprived of choices simply because it was not ticketed by Singapore Airlines?

No complaints about the service or flight on SQ221.

Last edited by robertr; Aug 8, 22 at 12:57 am Reason: Additional comment added
robertr is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 2:01 am
  #169  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,626
Originally Posted by robertr View Post
I rang Singapore Airlines whilst I was in the USA 3 weeks prior to my flight and was told to contact Swiss Airlines as it was a code share booking.
That's ridiculous. BTC is an offering by the operating, not ticketing, carrier. What does SQ expect Swiss to do exactly?! Another example of SQ customer service that don't think before they shoot themselves in the foot.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 2:51 am
  #170  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,370
Fully with you, sadly the talking nonsense seems to have no consequences and I can't quite see improvements just yet, not even for such basic queries that are embarrassingly easy to handle if one even has the slightest clue. Sigh
demue is online now  
Old Aug 8, 22, 6:24 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GRU
Programs: AA CK; LH HON
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by Andrew35K View Post
Quite underwhelming selection ex-FRA in Suites. Any recommendations from the following?

BTC:
* Braised Pork Cheeks with Caraway Jus
* Chicken in Massaman Curry
* Khao Tom Moo (Thai style porridge)
* Kway Teow Nuea (Thai Beef Noodle soup)
* Viennese Fried Spring Chicken
* Wholesome Ballontine of Chicken with Farro Salad
* Wholesome Red Lentil Souffle with Farro Salad

Inflight Menu:
* Pan Seared Pike Perch in Winemaker Style with Riesling Sauce (Chef Johann Lafer, Germany)
* Kai Krapow
* Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce
* Nanjing Salted Duck Noodle Soup
Indeed underwhelming BTC and catering overall ex-FRA. Some differences in the details as well. For instance, caviar was served plated (i.e. not on the glass container and without the mother of pearl spoon ex-FRA, while served on the container and with the proper spoon ex-SIN).

Having said that, the Kai Krapow was delicious. It is quite spicy, which I really like, so might not be for everyones taste buds. I give it a solid A+!



And I cant remember if the congee was on the regular menu or if I did BTC, but it was also super tasty and hit the spot for breakfast.

Carfield and Andrew35K like this.
burg_rtw is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:21 pm
  #172  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BOS
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Posts: 994
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
anyone tried the buckwheat and pumpkin pancakes, and have opinions on that?
Yup, they were pretty good and would order again.
pWei is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 6:52 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Krisflyer
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by Andrew35K View Post
:
* Pan Seared Pike Perch in Winemaker Style with Riesling Sauce (Chef Johann Lafer, Germany)
This one sounds like it could be quite good if it's quality meat. The Dover Sole I had on a recent flight from Paris was superb, and a visually perfect piece of fish.
Andrew35K likes this.
onlySIA is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 7:51 am
  #174  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,370
Originally Posted by pWei View Post
Yup, they were pretty good and would order again.
Last time I had them they were very dry and a bit "toughish", either you got lucky or I was unlucky, but they weren't great for me. YMMV.
demue is online now  
Old Aug 9, 22, 8:48 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 400
Originally Posted by onlySIA View Post
This one sounds like it could be quite good if it's quality meat. The Dover Sole I had on a recent flight from Paris was superb, and a visually perfect piece of fish.
I know in JFK, SQ sources the fish to be local and <24hrs fresh. Wonder if this is true at other stations. That would bode well for fish dishes across the network.
BR787 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 9:08 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zurich
Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, TPPS
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
I know in JFK, SQ sources the fish to be local and <24hrs fresh. Wonder if this is true at other stations. That would bode well for fish dishes across the network.
While I cannot answer your question the WSJ posted a short
last week on how SQ sources its fish for flights out of NYC. The title is a bit of a misnomer, given the plane they show

On a separate topic the Hessian broadcasting corp in Germany published a
last weekend on how they source the food for SQ25 including how it is served on board (in German but you could use yt subtitles).
chrisny2 and Andrew35K like this.
RayG is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 11:11 am
  #177  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: LHR
Programs: OWE, *G
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by burg_rtw View Post
Indeed underwhelming BTC and catering overall ex-FRA. Some differences in the details as well. For instance, caviar was served plated (i.e. not on the glass container and without the mother of pearl spoon ex-FRA, while served on the container and with the proper spoon ex-SIN).

Having said that, the Kai Krapow was delicious. It is quite spicy, which I really like, so might not be for everyones taste buds. I give it a solid A+!

And I cant remember if the congee was on the regular menu or if I did BTC, but it was also super tasty and hit the spot for breakfast.
Originally Posted by onlySIA View Post
This one sounds like it could be quite good if it's quality meat. The Dover Sole I had on a recent flight from Paris was superb, and a visually perfect piece of fish.
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
I know in JFK, SQ sources the fish to be local and <24hrs fresh. Wonder if this is true at other stations. That would bode well for fish dishes across the network.
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
While I cannot answer your question the WSJ posted a short vid last week on how SQ sources its fish for flights out of NYC. The title is a bit of a misnomer, given the plane they show

On a separate topic the Hessian broadcasting corp in Germany published a vid last weekend on how they source the food for SQ25 including how it is served on board (in German but you could use yt subtitles).
Looks like the Pike Perch could be the winner then. The Kai Krapow sounds and looks like the perfect mid-flight snack. Will try them both (hopefully) a few weeks.

Having looked closer at the BTC menu its identical between Business and Suites on this flight.
Andrew35K is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:44 am
  #178  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,419
General question - are the BTC choices of higher quality than the regular in-flight menu options? Have JFK-FRA r/t coming up and frankly I think I prefer the descriptions of some of the regular items better. But if BTC is more/better food, then I'm sure I can choose something there that I will enjoy.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:20 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zurich
Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, TPPS
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
General question - are the BTC choices of higher quality than the regular in-flight menu options? Have JFK-FRA r/t coming up and frankly I think I prefer the descriptions of some of the regular items better. But if BTC is more/better food, then I'm sure I can choose something there that I will enjoy.
Not per se. I usually pick whatever I fancy a few days before I fly. BTC are just additional entres, not necessarily better. Sometimes a BTC item might even be featured on the main menu, like Bak Chor Mee (one of my favs -- though some locals might quibble due to mee pok being used in the dish as opp to mee kia) out of SG or the pork belly dish out of FRA. Pick whatever you like from all the choices, you are not missing out.
ijgordon likes this.
RayG is offline  
Old Aug 15, 22, 6:26 am
  #180  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Programs: IB+ GOLD (OWS), ACCOR HOTELS GOLD
Posts: 78
Error when saving BTC selections

Hello, I was wondering if somebody could help me with the issue I am facing. Whenever I select the BTC options for my upcoming flights, each time I press the "Save & Exit" button an error appears stating that the selection could not be saved and to try again later.

I have tried in different dates with same results. As I don't want to be stuck with the onboard options, does anyone be so kind as to tell me if there is any trick for saving my BTC selections or a workaround?

Thanks so much for your help.
Wygun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread