Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VTL flight eligibility confusion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
VTL flight eligibility confusion

I need to fly from Germany to Sydney (via SIN) but I will be in Poland the day earlier (which is a category II country).

Can I board the VTL flight from Germany to Singapore (and then onwards to Sydney)?

So far I see two conflicting bits of information:

"Travellers must not have any travel history outside of Singapore and/or VTL or Category I countries/regions in the past 14 days to be eligible for the VTL flights."

"Provide a negative Covid-19 test result, obtained within 2 days before flight departure. This is not required for transit passengers with a 14-day travel history to any Cat I countries/regions."

The first says 'no' but the second says 'yes' (as long as a test is carried out). Getting a bit confused here as to whether I can or cannot board a VTL flight. Anyone know for sure?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:14 am

Point 2 is referring to pre-departure test only which is not required for Cat I countries. does not concern VTL flights.

when are you flying ?

if you are flying before 18/Jan, you can take SQ25 to SIN. The flights from SIN to SYD are not VTL flights. So no issue.

SQ25 will become VTL from 18/Jan. So if you are in Poland, you won’t be able to take the VTL flight.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Many thanks. Aren't transit passengers treated differently though, simply because they are not entering Singapore but merely cathing an onwards flight?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by aster
Many thanks. Aren't transit passengers treated differently though, simply because they are not entering Singapore but merely cathing an onwards flight?
If you are on VTL flight for transit, you need adhere to VTL protocol, but you don’t have to apply VTP if required.

Otherwise, what’s the point of VTL if passengers can just mix.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by freed0m; Nov 28, 2021 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Point 2 is referring to pre-departure test only which is not required for Cat I countries. does not concern VTL flights.

when are you flying ?

if you are flying before 18/Jan, you can take SQ25 to SIN. The flights from SIN to SYD are not VTL flights. So no issue.

SQ25 will become VTL from 18/Jan. So if you are in Poland, you won’t be able to take the VTL flight.
Plus SQ25 has Saver J aplenty every day. SQ325 on the other hand are only available at J Advantage, or none at all, as VTL flights are generally full.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:10 pm

I need to fly from Germany to Sydney (via SIN) but I will be in Poland the day earlier (which is a category II country).

Can I board the VTL flight from Germany to Singapore (and then onwards to Sydney)?

So far I see two conflicting bits of information:

"Travellers must not have any travel history outside of Singapore and/or VTL or Category I countries/regions in the past 14 days to be eligible for the VTL flights."

"Provide a negative Covid-19 test result, obtained within 2 days before flight departure. This is not required for transit passengers with a 14-day travel history to any Cat I countries/regions."

The first says 'no' but the second says 'yes' (as long as a test is carried out). Getting a bit confused here as to whether I can or cannot board a VTL flight. Anyone know for sure?
Think you've answered your own question. Basically you can't be on a VTL flight if your past 14 days history includes any countries aside from Singapore / Category I / VTL countries (even though the rules are slightly ironic, as all VTL countries in fact come from Category II).
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Plus SQ25 has Saver J aplenty every day. SQ325 on the other hand are only available at J Advantage, or none at all, as VTL flights are generally full.
Thanks, think that SQ25 might be my best option for getting to SIN. But then I also need an onwards flight from SIN to SYD and if those are 100% VTL then I could get stuck...
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Thanks, think that SQ25 might be my best option for getting to SIN. But then I also need an onwards flight from SIN to SYD and if those are 100% VTL then I could get stuck...
As a general rule, VTL flights only operate inbound to Singapore. The flights to Sydney are designated as FEPO flights (For Eligible Passengers Only), for travellers who are fully vaccinated - but no restrictions based on travel history* like there are with VTL flights into SIN.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...nto-australia/

* except when new variants of concern emerge such as the current situation with Omicron, where travel history to 8 countries in last 14 days precludes travelling to Australia.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Good point, forgot that that the VTL is an inbound thing and that flying out of Singapore is a different matter.

Looks like a decent non-VTL flight from FRA which should be perfect to get me onto an onwards connection to SYD.

Now the problem is getting back... 14 days in SYD and I'll be able to board a VTL back, but if I need to come back earlier then I'm in trouble as the non-VTL flight from SYD to SIN is a late one that would make me miss any possible connection back. Unless I look into other European airports to return to...
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:11 am

Ok. Based on this FAQ, it seem like travel history does not matter for traveling on VTL flights for transiting.

Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Interesting news indeed. So I could in effect take a VTL flight as I would be meeting all required conditions.

Which flight is likely to be more packed/full, VTL from MUC (considering there will be passengers who will be entering Singapore) or non-VTL from FRA (nobody entering Singapore but maybe the entire transfer band-wagon will choose this one)?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:48 pm

From anecdotal feedback from friends and some blogs, it would appear that VTL flights are significantly fuller than non VTL.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:26 am

Saw this on SQ's FAQ:

Is there any way to confirm whether this would apply to non-SQ VTL flights as well? I know of someone who was denied boarding for a KLM VTL flight as her journey originated in Norway.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Saw this on SQ's FAQ:

Is there any way to confirm whether this would apply to non-SQ VTL flights as well? I know of someone who was denied boarding for a KLM VTL flight as her journey originated in Norway.
you can stay in NON-VTL countries if you are doing transit in Singapore.

However, if you are entering Singapore Via VTL, then 14 days before departure must be in VTL countries.

for the KLM, is she transiting or entering Singapore ?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

for the KLM, is she transiting or entering Singapore ?
Transit - well, technically it's the same flight which continues on to KUL, her final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.