Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The *new* SilverKris Lounge at Changi T3

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
To be honest I think SQ miscalculated the speed of travel recovery particularly in long haul travel, and also overestimated the competition, leading to basically full flights for weeks if not months on nearly all medium-long haul routes, as they dominate many markets. It is not normal for SQ to so be so full in all classes for such extended periods.

USA- No CX, no BR/CI, very limited JL/NH = SQ full

Europe/East Coast US - EK 1x daily (vs 4x daily pre pandemic), QR 10 x weekly (vs 3x daily) BA - daily 787 (vs 777 + 380) - LH/LX - probably 60% capacity, no QF to LHR, TG- no connections from their daily flight etc

Australia - QF < daily to SYD , MEL, BNE vs 2x daily (SYD/MEL) and daily (BNE), no EK service to MEL. (also reduced services to Australia on other carriers such as CX, TG even EK which compete for AU-Eau traffic putting loads onto SQ)

SE Asia - virtually no competition from TG and GA. Very limited from MH.

So this created a perfect storm for the lounge to be extremely overcrowded during construction delays.

Opening the F lounge and TPR “by the end of the month” should also provide more space as the area dedicated to F right now is opened up (and less pax also).
Very good analysis. But SQ should have been able to anticipate the demand, especially when (1) they're the one that launched the "get KFEG status free with points transfer" campaign in late 2021 / early 2022 hence would be reasonably able to estimate the increasing population of KFEGs and (2) the fact that every additional VTL arrangement announced previously has resulted in demand spikes. The fact that they left the lounge overcrowding situation to persist for quite a while, plus their customers to languish while waiting for someone to pick up the phone - are signs that management don't deserve their pay checks.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
To be honest I think SQ miscalculated the speed of travel recovery particularly in long haul travel, and also overestimated the competition, leading to basically full flights for weeks if not months on nearly all medium-long haul routes, as they dominate many markets. It is not normal for SQ to so be so full in all classes for such extended periods.

USA- No CX, no BR/CI, very limited JL/NH = SQ full

Europe/East Coast US - EK 1x daily (vs 4x daily pre pandemic), QR 10 x weekly (vs 3x daily) BA - daily 787 (vs 777 + 380) - LH/LX - probably 60% capacity, no QF to LHR, TG- no connections from their daily flight etc

Australia - QF < daily to SYD , MEL, BNE vs 2x daily (SYD/MEL) and daily (BNE), no EK service to MEL. (also reduced services to Australia on other carriers such as CX, TG even EK which compete for AU-Eau traffic putting loads onto SQ)

SE Asia - virtually no competition from TG and GA. Very limited from MH.

So this created a perfect storm for the lounge to be extremely overcrowded during construction delays.

Opening the F lounge and TPR “by the end of the month” should also provide more space as the area dedicated to F right now is opened up (and less pax also).
It's a happy problem for SQ no doubt. Let's hope they actually make a profit in this quarter as they slipped back to a loss in Q4, despite the very strong loads and yields over the Christmas and CNY period. They've raised close to $23 billion, primarily from the very supportive shareholder, plus however many billions in labour and aviation-related support from the SingGov, so they really need to make a return on that.

My concern is they seem to be very focussed on cutting PaxEx costs. They're not going to create long-term profitability eroding the experience and giving passengers fewer reasons to fly SQ.
aritrixa likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It was busy but as you can gather below , you are able to find seats & even quiet areas at 10 . 30 pm to midnight , during the “ peak “ hours too .

Rather deserted corridor

View of the tarmac

Welcome to one of many sections of the business lounge areas

The reflection gives one an idea how busy it is

One of the quieter zones

More seating available

Options including truffle mushroom soup and beef lasagne

Another part where the outside can be viewed

Another option for one to choose from currently

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 25, 2022 at 11:48 pm
Old May 28, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
I think the problem at the moment is that all Singaporeans are flying. They have been stuck due to Covid for 2+ years. My experience has been that the flights are fully booked with Singaporeans (and Singapore expats). Should get better in September/October.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Others can certainly differ, but what I was referring to by "lounge atmosphere" is a relaxing environment to wait between flights/refresh after a flight, with the ability to get food/drink/shower or other services with relative ease, or just sit and work in a peaceful environment. As opposed, say to a lounge where every act feels like a survival of the fittest competition with everyone else there; noise level, excessive crowding to the point where it is over capacity, inability of food/beverage/facilities offerings to meet demand.
at SKL this morning before 6am - lounge atmosphere present, can even hear the background music. Plenty of seats available. Starting 6 am getting more crowd coming in - food still mediocre.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:24 pm

Flying DPSSINEWR soon, SQ945/22 with 60 minute connection. Time to swing in for a quick drink? Or better to hustle to gate? We were underwhelmed with the temporary lounge when we flew to DPS a few weeks ago. Curious about the new facility but don’t want to miss our connection.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Flying DPSSINEWR soon, SQ945/22 with 60 minute connection. Time to swing in for a quick drink? Or better to hustle to gate? We were underwhelmed with the temporary lounge when we flew to DPS a few weeks ago. Curious about the new facility but don’t want to miss our connection.
All depends on the distance between the gates and whether you arrive early or not. If you arrive into Terminal 2 (which some flights are now doing) and depart at B10, then it's going to be a long trek.

But bear in mind - SQ strictly closes gates at 10 minutes before departure at SIN. This means if you reach the gate about 20-25 mins before departure you will have no issues, the doors will not have closed, and you will make the flight. Although I know it can be very unnerving for those used to flying in the US, it works in Changi, even with gate based security.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:23 pm

All depends on the distance between the gates and whether you arrive early or not. If you arrive into Terminal 2 (which some flights are now doing) and depart at B10, then it's going to be a long trek.

But bear in mind - SQ strictly closes gates at 10 minutes before departure at SIN. This means if you reach the gate about 20-25 mins before departure you will have no issues, the doors will not have closed, and you will make the flight. Although I know it can be very unnerving for those used to flying in the US, it works in Changi, even with gate based security.
Very helpful. I’ll hope for an early arrival and proximate gates. Thanks much - Jamie
Old May 30, 2022, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I realize this is a bit of a guess, but can anyone comment on how busy the lounge is likely to be in early evening on a weekday. This would be a Thursday in mid-June.

we’re flying (biz) to MAA on the evening flight - departs at 20:15. We’d probably be looking to enter around 18:30 or so. I know there is an evening bank of flights, but not sure how many of those are later evening vs. earlier. Hoping the opening of the gold lounge might make it a bit less crowded now - and maybe for an area for us (fam of 4) to just get a seat.

any ideas or recent experiences around this time?
Old May 30, 2022, 12:51 am

Now that the Gold lounge is open and with the FCL/TPR due to open shortly, it should already be vastly better than before at all hours by the time you fly.

There are relatively few flights departing around your time (around 10 flights in the +/- 1hr around your flight, half of them on 737s), so the lounge should be quiet.
emcampbe likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:58 pm

if you've been eyeing that sleeping area at the rear of the SKL J, it's finally open. expect 14x cubicles each with their own Rolf Benz recliner + power outlets and usb ports. blanket available on request.

the main issue i see: they're first come first serve, which raises questions about fair use, cleaning between guests, and the constant opening/closing of the door to the area as people come in to try their luck. having a dedicated attendant would resolve most of this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 28, 2022 at 1:59 pm Reason: Removed link to blog post
Old May 30, 2022, 7:38 pm

I am *G and will be flying Scoot in Y on a SQ-issued ticket with a SQ flight number. If my boarding pass shows the SQ8xxx flight number, will I get access to the SKL at SIN? (I'm assuming if the boarding pass shows the TRxxx flight number, I will not gain access.)
Old May 30, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I am *G and will be flying Scoot in Y on a SQ-issued ticket with a SQ flight number. If my boarding pass shows the SQ8xxx flight number, will I get access to the SKL at SIN? (I'm assuming if the boarding pass shows the TRxxx flight number, I will not gain access.)
Definitely won't get access to the SKL, must be PPS or hold a business class boarding pass. Not sure about the KF Gold lounge, but as star alliance lounge access rules are usually based on operating carrier usually, then I would suspect not.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Definitely won't get access to the SKL, must be PPS or hold a business class boarding pass. Not sure about the KF Gold lounge, but as star alliance lounge access rules are usually based on operating carrier usually, then I would suspect not.
No SQ lounge access when flying Scoot irrespective of *G. Scoot was providing paid access to the SATS lounge...not sure if this is still in place.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
at the SKL between 6:15 AM and 8 recently. Packed. Had to walk through the lounge end-end twice before finding a seat. I found the food choices mediocre.
I was told there were 14 people ahead of me for the shower, but I got buzzed after waiting about 10 minutes.
nothing much else to say. sub-par environment, food choices, experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.