The *new* SilverKris Lounge at Changi T3

Old May 11, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I’ve just noticed I’ve rung several times in the last month and got through to a very helpful person based in Singapore, using both the Singapore and Australia numbers (admittedly during SIN business hours). With basically no hold (other than the initial prerecorded messages. One one of the calls I rang to find out options for changing flights (in terms of cost), rang back a few hours later and first comment after saying hello was to ask if o had decided which flight I was going to take. Technically I’m not even Solitaire, my partner is I’m TPEG (as per BP). We’ve noticed a definite improvement since early April.
FlyerEC and Cryofern like this.
Old May 11, 22, 7:43 pm

I've had a friend pass through telling me how horrible the crowding was.. sounds like Starbucks or the bar below would be more tranquil!
If it's that crowded, should I try to ask for a spot in the F Side (flying J) or would that be futile?
Old May 11, 22, 9:46 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by concept|infinit View Post
I've had a friend pass through telling me how horrible the crowding was.. sounds like Starbucks or the bar below would be more tranquil!
If it's that crowded, should I try to ask for a spot in the F Side (flying J) or would that be futile?

That is assuming you have enough time to clear the queue at the entrance of the Silverkris lounge to begin with. Hopefully all clear by 20 May!
Old May 11, 22, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by concept|infinit View Post
They won’t let you into F section unless flying F or Solitaire.

Of course if after 20 May once the Gold lounge opens or if in the next week you are travelling outside of early morning and late evening peaks it may be less crowded
Old May 16, 22, 10:16 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by legionnaire View Post
Got a (unhelpful) reply. Effectively, a shrug!
Still getting uncoordinated replies from SQ.
One response last week said - "we are opening the new KF Gold Lounge and Private room at the end of May that should reduce crowding." : Useful, thank you.
Another response today : "consider changing your booking so you have a longer layover allowing time to work around lounge crowding issues" : Really?!!
Today's response is, of course, completely uncoordinated with the earlier one about attempts to reduce crowding.
Old May 16, 22, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire View Post
Another response today : "consider changing your booking so you have a longer layover allowing time to work around lounge crowding issues" : Really?!!
Classic. Longer layover in lounge would ADD to the overcrowding!
Old May 18, 22, 7:37 pm

Just an update for my experience on 13 May. Not much of a queue getting in but it was crowded as ever. I had to share a table of two with someone else. The staff were flustered too as per the reports here.

I saw a bunch of Team SG athletes in their uniform, presumably off to the Hanoi SEA Games. They decided to leave after not being able to get a seat. Poor kids!
Old May 19, 22, 3:53 am

Waiting for reports tomorrow on the opening of the new KFG Lounge and if the situation will be resolved!
Singapore_Air and Cthunder86 like this.
Old May 20, 22, 7:45 pm

Programs: LX HON, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Just bin to the KFG lounge this morning. It was busy but not full that you can not find a seat. The food is the same as in the SQ C lounge.Small buffet with 3-4 different hot food choices, sandwiches and muffins. Washrooms all new but the washroom layout is strange. Wonder how they deal with more people in the lounge when SQ is back to normal operations. My feeling is we will be back to the old problem of too crowded.
Old May 20, 22, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by HKG1111 View Post
Just bin to the KFG lounge this morning. It was busy but not full that you can not find a seat. The food is the same as in the SQ C lounge.Small buffet with 3-4 different hot food choices, sandwiches and muffins. Washrooms all new but the washroom layout is strange. Wonder how they deal with more people in the lounge when SQ is back to normal operations. My feeling is we will be back to the old problem of too crowded.
If they do get back to “normal” operations we might see T2 reopened and T2 lounges re-opened also. Which could reduce numbers in T3 in mornings at least and if LH and LX go back to T2 that would reduce burden in a small way in the evenings as well.
Old May 21, 22, 2:48 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
If they do get back to “normal” operations we might see T2 reopened and T2 lounges re-opened also. Which could reduce numbers in T3 in mornings at least and if LH and LX go back to T2 that would reduce burden in a small way in the evenings as well.
It's going to be very interesting to see how this progresses in the next year or so as I suspect many of SQ's pre-2019 forecasts are all but redundant at the moment. The accelerated recovery of long-haul travel vs regional is likely to linger for a while longer which probably makes reopening the T2 lounges a less effective release valve for now, aside from the early mornings.

It's worth mentioning that SQ's earn status credits on the ground promo and generous extensions to KF Gold memberships have likely inflated *G numbers beyond the normal % of passengers, but the flip side is they have also been a good incentive to keep people locked-in and flying SQ for their first trips following the easing of restrictions, so we can't blame them for that.

One thing that may help ease overcrowding in the KF Gold Lounge? The outrageously strong premium class yields. It's not uncommon to pay $12-$14k for a return to Europe or the US at the moment, so my guess is that there will be a sizeable upgrade of traditional KF Golds to PPS who will then be ushered into the SKL J, after only a couple of long-hauls in their membership year.
Singapore_Air likes this.

Last edited by WISEMEN; May 21, 22 at 5:30 am
Old May 22, 22, 3:55 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I was at the Silverkris lounge yesterday evening, (around 9pm) and it was still in my opinion crowded - did not feel like a lounge but more of food court. Only improvement was that there was no wait for the showers. Other than that, finding a nice spot to sit was not that easy. Therefore my conclusion is the opening of the Krisflyer lounge did not help too much in reducing the crowding of the SilverKris lounge situation.
I did pop by into the Krisflyer Gold lounge - it was on the busy side, and food offerings indeed is quite similar to the Silverkris lounge, except with lesser items, e.g no duck rice and the laksa station was do it yourself.

All in all, not impressed by the lounge condition in Singapore except for the food offerings.

Cheers!
Old May 22, 22, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
I did pop by into the Krisflyer Gold lounge - it was on the busy side, and food offerings indeed is quite similar to the Silverkris lounge, … the laksa station was do it yourself.
Some would argue that DIY laksa is an upgrade - you can customize with the actual ingredients you want.
Old May 22, 22, 9:13 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Hi,

I was at the Silverkris lounge yesterday evening, (around 9pm) and it was still in my opinion crowded - did not feel like a lounge but more of food court. Only improvement was that there was no wait for the showers. Other than that, finding a nice spot to sit was not that easy. Therefore my conclusion is the opening of the Krisflyer lounge did not help too much in reducing the crowding of the SilverKris lounge situation.
I did pop by into the Krisflyer Gold lounge - it was on the busy side, and food offerings indeed is quite similar to the Silverkris lounge, except with lesser items, e.g no duck rice and the laksa station was do it yourself.

All in all, not impressed by the lounge condition in Singapore except for the food offerings.

Cheers!
What was the approximate % of filled/empty seats? Are there still queues to even get seats/tables? The original T3 SKL pre-Covid felt like a "food court" sometimes during the evening EU departures also depending on luck. But at least I would be able to find myself a seat (sometimes all the tables at the dining area near the self-serve buffet would be full).
Old May 22, 22, 12:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Some would argue that DIY laksa is an upgrade - you can customize with the actual ingredients you want.
For me both are ok - as even with the one in the SKL, I could request for it to be tuned to what I prefer, without any pushback from the server.

Originally Posted by tth_ben View Post
What was the approximate % of filled/empty seats? Are there still queues to even get seats/tables? The original T3 SKL pre-Covid felt like a "food court" sometimes during the evening EU departures also depending on luck. But at least I would be able to find myself a seat (sometimes all the tables at the dining area near the self-serve buffet would be full).
Walking around the lounge, I believe it was maybe 60% occupied and as I left around 10.30pm, there was still more pax pouring in, and the booth I was (I was travelling in a group of 3) there was 1 guy standing to take over the booth. I believe the problem is that the lounge seating arrangement was not built in a way to cater for the single/duo traveller - therefore even if there were still sitting space/chair, this means sitting really close to another pax without a privacy "bubble".

Cheers!

Search this Thread