Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines launches seasonal flights to Vancouver, first to Canada since 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines launches seasonal flights to Vancouver, first to Canada since 2009

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busi...l-lane-2236071

Singapore Airlines (SIA) will fly four times a week to Vancouver in Canada and Seattle in the United States from Dec 2 to Feb 15 next year, said the carrier on Monday (Oct 11).
Very exciting news!
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Interesting it has a tag-on to Seattle. Wonder if they will be able to sell seats on the tag-on.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Interesting it has a tag-on to Seattle. Wonder if they will be able to sell seats on the tag-on.
No traffic rights on YVR-SEA-YVR.

Full details here:

bpk6h likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fiordland
There probably isn't enough demand at the moment for dedicated flights to both YVR and SEA. I think this makes a lot of sense and gives people in both markets a way to visit SIN.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:07 am

There probably isn't enough demand at the moment for dedicated flights to both YVR and SEA. I think this makes a lot of sense and gives people in both markets a way to visit SIN.
Smart. SG can capitalize while HK is still closed. I had never thought I'd switch CX/HK for SQ/SG, but, unless HK opens up, I may decide to, out of necessity.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Smart. SG can capitalize while HK is still closed. I had never thought I'd switch CX/HK for SQ/SG, but, unless HK opens up, I may decide to, out of necessity.
I agree. I find it very sad that HK remains closed, but the government there is keen on getting back to normal with the Mainland.

This would totally suck if I have OW status. I can't wait until pricing is released.
Visconti likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:35 am

I agree. I find it very sad that HK remains closed, but the government there is keen on getting back to normal with the Mainland.
While I both understand and appreciate HK's underlying aspirations here, it's nonetheless on a personal level a huge disappointment. HK is one of, if not the, my favorite cities in the world, for both professional and personal reasons.

This would totally suck if I have OW status. I can't wait until pricing is released.
You and me both!
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
While I both understand and appreciate HK's underlying aspirations here, it's nonetheless on a personal level a huge disappointment. HK is one of, if not the, my favorite cities in the world, for both professional and personal reasons.
Weren't you the one that recommended the Grand Hyatt HK? I finally have Globalist status, but no way to use it in HK. Hopefully in 2022...

You and me both!
At least there's *G and Priority Pass. I think our lounge situations are taken care of in YVR and SIN.
Visconti likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:59 am

Weren't you the one that recommended the Grand Hyatt HK? I finally have Globalist status, but no way to use it in HK. Hopefully in 2022..
Yes, I recall that thread. The HK GH is one of my favorite hotels in the world. While I appreciate there are more expensive hotels, I'm from school of thought where "price is what you pay, and value is what you get." Value wise, for me, GH HK is hard to beat. From it's iconic status to over the years my coming to know many of their rank and file staff, especially in their lounge, I always feel welcome there, especially with the free flowing Ruinart bubbly. If I recall, we joked about overindulging and thankfully the top floor rooms are very short walk from the lounge, assuming we can navigate that stair case successfully. LOL

I really hope you'll have a chance stay there, especially now that you're Glob. At least in my experience, not just GH, but HK in general is very good at recognizing high status guests.

At least there's *G and Priority Pass. I think our lounge situations are taken care of in YVR and SIN.
Yes, I think so. But, nonetheless, I'm sure going to miss CX's F lounges when going to and fro HKG, which is the perfect transfer point in SE Asia, in my view. I'm still hoping HK will eventually change course and decide while, of course, their relationship with the Mainland is paramount, there is a place for business and tourism with us in The West.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Very OT, but....I'm with you on GH HK...one of my absolute favorites. And yes, the club lounge...Ruinart, the view, as well as the head of staff there made that place.

​​​
lsquare and Visconti like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Very OT, but....I'm with you on GH HK...one of my absolute favorites. And yes, the club lounge...Ruinart, the view, as well as the head of staff there made that place.​​​
Couldn't agree more. While I have no qualms with others doing so, I'm not in the practice of naming names, but I suspect we all know the head of staff on which you're referring. Moreover, the continuity here since inception (late 90s?) is what, in my view, hotels should aspire to provide. When guests are known, their preferences understood and, most importantly, NO SURPRISES are the keys to a world class hospitality venue, in my view.
bpk6h, pWei and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:47 am

looks like flights haven't been loaded yet?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:41 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
These are the so-called VTL flights so there might still be some paperwork coordination to be obtained. I wonder if AC will be assigned some VTL flights eventually?

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...-travel-lanes/
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
As a YVR employee and a star gold flyer, I'm always psyched to have more Star options at YVR. Recently adding Turkish and now SQ, I'm pumped! Neither one is a particularly cheap carrier to fly on, but if SQ is reasonable with Y awards this is another good option to Asia. That said I hope it can go year round and this whole VTL thing seemed a little complicated but maybe I just didn't read it carefully enough. I'd love to just get to a point in the world where we can be vaccinated and avoid quarantine. Testing sucks only because it's too damned expensive, but I can't wait to go back to the world being basically open.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
looks like flights haven't been loaded yet?
According to the article it said they'd be available through channels on Oct 12.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.