Search

Rebooking upon cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Rebooking upon cancellation

Hi everyone, first time posting here
I went over what I think are all threads from the last year and couldn't find a satisfying answer, since most of them are about cancellations related to award tickets.

I am considering booking SQ on FRA-JFK-FRA in September/December (revenue, not award).
Since I'm studying in NYC I will (most certainly) have to take the flight.
As the fare on SQ is a bit lower than on the transatlatic joint venture airlines, I was thinking about booking with SQ this time.
Furthermore, I really value the 1-2-1 configuration SQ offers (which is why the only alternative direct flight is UA).

What are your experiences with SQ in terms of rebooking after cancellation?
I've flown SQ several times (always on SQ25/26) but never had any cancellations so I have no idea how good/bad their handling is.
Are they only going to rebook onto their own flights or can I expect to be rebooked on one of the other flights on that day?
How flexible are they when it comes to rebooking me onto my "preferred" alternative (again, assuming the flights are cancelled)?
Since both LH and UA are flying FRA-NYC, I'd like to make sure that in case of SQ25/26 not returning on FRA-JFK I'll be able to get rebooked onto UA (or LX via ZRH) rather than LH.

I know the most likely answer is "just book UA to begin with", but I'd like to at least have the chance to fly SQ and only end up on UA if SQ cancels the flights
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: Alaska
the chance of you flying SQ25 FRA-JFK is likely 0.

SQ already starts direct SIN-JFK, in addition to SIN-EWR.

Certainly you can get refund, but I doubt that's you want.
Chiller3333 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
the chance of you flying SQ25 FRA-JFK is likely 0.

SQ already starts direct SIN-JFK, in addition to SIN-EWR.

Certainly you can get refund, but I doubt that's you want.
i am looking to book JFK-SIN-MLE as a J award for February 2022. I’d like to lock in the flight as soon as possible because my hotel stay is also an award and inventory goes fast at the hotel. Right now the only flight that can be booked is SQ 25. If that flight is not operating in 2/22, will SQ automatically rebook me on another flight to SIN?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by setho212
i am looking to book JFK-SIN-MLE as a J award for February 2022. I’d like to lock in the flight as soon as possible because my hotel stay is also an award and inventory goes fast at the hotel. Right now the only flight that can be booked is SQ 25. If that flight is not operating in 2/22, will SQ automatically rebook me on another flight to SIN?
If it is a day before or after, I am sure that SQ can accommodate if there is availability revenue or award.

recently my SIN-EWR award was canceled, SQ replaced it with SIN-JFK a few hour later. I canceled in the end as I could not travel it.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
If it is a day before or after, I am sure that SQ can accommodate if there is availability revenue or award.

recently my SIN-EWR award was canceled, SQ replaced it with SIN-JFK a few hour later. I canceled in the end as I could not travel it.
My hope would be that considering SQ publishes their schedule a few months in advance they wold know that SQ is not going to operate sometime in late 2021 and would rebook my flights on the direct JFK-SIN or EWR-SIN flight at that time. Is that not realistic to expect?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by setho212
My hope would be that considering SQ publishes their schedule a few months in advance they wold know that SQ is not going to operate sometime in late 2021 and would rebook my flights on the direct JFK-SIN or EWR-SIN flight at that time. Is that not realistic to expect?
US schedules are highly variable. You want certainty, you should try to fly LAX-SIN.

you run a high risk that your award flight is likely changed without matching hotel stay.

what are you going to do then?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:50 pm

It is difficult to work on something that is 1 Year from now. No one know what will happen. When you book , you need to be prepare that flight might be cancel or the travel date might change.

Now SQ is flying direct daily to JFK. But even SQ won’t know whether they will be flying daily in Dec 2021.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Thank you for all your comments!
It really does seem unlikely that SQ25/26 will return on FRA-JFK.
Will probably end up booking UA (the new normal for me)
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
UA or LH will certainly be the safer, more predictable bets as the route is not a tag on for them like it is for SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.