Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Krisflyer asking for more points after United canceled flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globaist, Hilton Diamond

I booked 4 round trip tickets from EWR-HNL direct via Krisflyer United flight for 35k miles each back in 11/20. United canceled the EWR-HNL flight portion and put us on an EWR-LAX-HNL flight but return unchanged. I called Singapore airlines to confirm the changed ticket, but the representative said they need 12.5k more per ticket (50k total) because now we have a different ticket??

Can they do that? It's bad that its no longer direct, but I feel like they are trying to strong-arm me for more points. We already book everything, hotel, cars etc. Any advice? I just feel this is wrong.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
did SQ ask that you call them? Why would that be necessary? I would have honestly just waited to see if the ticket updates with a routine sweep.

For an involuntary change, in particular if UA already replaced the segments in the PNR and no manual intervention is necessary ... SQ should not ask for more miles.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for replying. I looked at my reservation on United's site, and was told me to call them. When I did, United said I would need to call SQ to confirm and issue ticket because they can't access it. So I when ahead and called SQ to issue tickets.

I did not expect SQ asking for more points which I find pretty absurd. I am totally confused by this. They said I need to let them know 3 days prior to departure date.

Right now my flight status on SQ is showing

EWR-LAX reserved
LAX-EWR reserved

HNL-EWR confirmed

Please pardon my inexperience. I have never dealt with something like this before. Should I just wait it out… Will it just sweep? I did ask for a manager to call me back, which they said it would take around 48hrs. They said the manager might be able to waive the extra points… *shrug
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by feeling100
Thank you for replying. I looked at my reservation on United's site, and was told me to call them. When I did, United said I would need to call SQ to confirm and issue ticket because they can't access it. So I when ahead and called SQ to issue tickets.

I did not expect SQ asking for more points which I find pretty absurd. I am totally confused by this. They said I need to let them know 3 days prior to departure date.

Right now my flight status on SQ is showing

EWR-LAX reserved
LAX-EWR reserved

HNL-EWR confirmed

Please pardon my inexperience. I have never dealt with something like this before. Should I just wait it out… Will it just sweep? I did ask for a manager to call me back, which they said it would take around 48hrs. They said the manager might be able to waive the extra points… *shrug
SQ has to re-issue your tickets, otherwise, the tickets will eventually get cancelled.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:59 am

The layover time is more than 4 hours ?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is stuck because SQ is the ticketing carrier and is thus, the only carrier which can change the tickets (other than on the day of travel). If there is a change which would result in a higher fare (miles), SQ may collect that. While that is horrible customer service and UA is almost certainly not requiring additional payment from SQ, the fact remains that SQ can do this and the alternative is to cancel and refund the tickets.

I would start by calling SQ and asking what the additional add/collect is for. As noted above, is this a fare bucket or a stopover issue? Listen carefully and ask the agent to keep explaining until you understand. If you cannot get satisfaction, then come back here with the explanation and there are many here who can help you move to the next step.

It would also be helpful to know your date of travel as well as "old" flights and the new flights.
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
The layover time is more than 4 hours ?
For feeling100 's reference, for US/Canada itineraries, if the time between flights exceeds 4 hrs then this is considered on the Krisflyer star alliance award chart as a "stopover", and complementary stopovers are also not permitted on US/Canada itineraries. This means, if you were booking such an itinerary from scratch, it would cost you 12.5K for EWR-LAX and 35K for LAX-HNL-EWR.

One option would be to re-contact SQ, and re-iterate at that this was an involuntary change and you did not request a stopover and request they waive the extra point collection on this basis.

The second option (and I could be talking out of my backside here, I have no idea if they would entertain such a request), ask UA directly yourself or ask SQ to contact UA, to see if they could re-route you on a journey that has a layover of less than 4 hrs (if such a journey exists on your date of travel). There may be other options, or may not.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
For feeling100 's reference, for US/Canada itineraries, if the time between flights exceeds 4 hrs then this is considered on the Krisflyer star alliance award chart as a "stopover", and complementary stopovers are also not permitted on US/Canada itineraries. This means, if you were booking such an itinerary from scratch, it would cost you 12.5K for EWR-LAX and 35K for LAX-HNL-EWR.

One option would be to re-contact SQ, and re-iterate at that this was an involuntary change and you did not request a stopover and request they waive the extra point collection on this basis.

The second option (and I could be talking out of my backside here, I have no idea if they would entertain such a request), ask UA directly yourself or ask SQ to contact UA, to see if they could re-route you on a journey that has a layover of less than 4 hrs (if such a journey exists on your date of travel). There may be other options, or may not.
The layover is only 1:40 in LAX. Their explanation is that since I had a direct flight from EWR-HNL it cost less miles. However, It is no longer direct, so I would be charged for two cities. I still don't understand how that make any sense because they still have EWR-LAX-HNL that is currently 17.5k on their website. Wouldn't nonstop direct be a more desirable flight?

I took your advice and told them about the involuntary change. So, after 3 calls and talking to multiple agents… (Last one was made directly to Singapore office). They finally caved in and made a "one time" exception. I feel still feel very uneasy about any possible future flight changes.

I just want to thank everyone's help and very humble by the support on this forum. Thank you!!!😀
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:56 am
Original Poster

both new and old flight is on 3/25

I don't have the old flight number but there is only one EWR-HNL per day

New flight is UA554, UA1431
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good result. Persistence pays off. The first agent was utterly wrong. Doing this as a "one-time" exception is an easy face-saver.

Your concern about further changes is a fair one, but those will mostly surround a change in the EWR departure causing your connection to drop below MCT.

Just keep a proactive eye on things and understand that you may have to go back through this one or more times.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:03 pm

So, after 3 calls and talking to multiple agents… (Last one was made directly to Singapore office). They finally caved in and made a "one time" exception. I feel still feel very uneasy about any possible future flight changes.
Just to reiterate a principle that's been shared around the SQ forum in FT for a while. In times of irregularities, call the Singapore not US number. And once you get through press the number for Chinese (not to worry, they will be able to speak English) to ensure you're routed to someone physically in Singapore, although admittedly the folks they currently outsource to India seem rather clued on too. In all likelihood, the Singapore based folks are more reasonable to see the customer's view, and not simply go by the book in an unempowered manner.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Just to reiterate a principle that's been shared around the SQ forum in FT for a while. In times of irregularities, call the Singapore not US number. And once you get through press the number for Chinese (not to worry, they will be able to speak English) to ensure you're routed to someone physically in Singapore, although admittedly the folks they currently outsource to India seem rather clued on too. In all likelihood, the Singapore based folks are more reasonable to see the customer's view, and not simply go by the book in an unempowered manner.
Unfortunately, my worst fear came true last night. UA canceled my return flight HNL-EWR and put us on HNL-SFO-EWR. I will need to call SQ to reissue. Wish me luck. sigh*
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Unfortunately, my worst fear came true last night. UA canceled my return flight HNL-EWR and put us on HNL-SFO-EWR. I will need to call SQ to reissue. Wish me luck. sigh*
For your information, UA has been tinkering with a period at a time during Covid. Any schedule beyond the current monyh for UA you should assume is a placeholder until within a month or so. I assume your return flight is in April, as UA has just updated April schedule.

The nonstop flight between EWR and HNL has not operated for months now, with the exception of a short period during the Christmas holiday, if I recall correctly. If the outbound flight is cancelled in advance, there would be a high probability the return flight with the same fate.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
For your information, UA has been tinkering with a period at a time during Covid. Any schedule beyond the current monyh for UA you should assume is a placeholder until within a month or so. I assume your return flight is in April, as UA has just updated April schedule.

The nonstop flight between EWR and HNL has not operated for months now, with the exception of a short period during the Christmas holiday, if I recall correctly. If the outbound flight is cancelled in advance, there would be a high probability the return flight with the same fate.
You are correct. My return flight HNL-EWR was on 4/5. I did not have high hopes before, It was probably less than 25% occupancy before it was canceled. The new flight on HNL-SFO-EWR 4/5 on the other hand barely had an open seat on both flights.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I called the Singapore office and picked "Chinese" as suggested. The rep was very gracious and helpful. My reissue went without a hitch or question. It was definitely a far cry from the first rep's memorable quote, "it is on your terms and conditions on the ticket" when he asked for more points for the reissuance.
lokijuh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.