Search

Recent RTW resources using KF?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Recent RTW resources using KF?

Hi All,

I've been looking at past RTW threads, but they seem kind of dated. I realize it's a niche product but might have a use for it this summer. If anyone can point me to some additional resources and/or answer some questions that'd be great!

1) Backtracking with SIN as hub. Let's say I generally want to go US -> Maldives -> Japan -> Hawaii -> US. That would include something like EWR -> SIN -> MLE and then MLE -> SIN -> NRT. Those are as direct as SQ flies. Would they have issues with that?
2) Partner availability - does it have to be on the KF site only? e.g. I can find ANA flights ex Japan but not the United flights I need back to mainland (united.com shows availability in saver).
3) Changes and/or "upgrades". Are there charges after the RTW is booked to make changes, especially in the case where Y is booked on partner but J opens up later for a J RTW? Are charges for routing changes only or also dates?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Alaska
why not book as a round trip(US-MLE) with stopover in Japan?

If I am not wrong, there is a free stopover for round trip *A award and up to 3 aditional stopover at US$100 each.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

It's actually because I would like to stopover in Hawaii not in Japan. The Japan part is because it won't price MLE -> HNL easily, but will MLE -> SIN -> NRT and then ANA NRT -> to HNL will price seperately.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:30 pm

HNL is a difficult stopover point. there are limited choices back to continental US, United only or maybe AC.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Three potential issues with your itinerary:
1) Stopover within the US ... as "Complimentary stopovers are not permitted in a purely domestic itinerary, or within the country of departure in an international itinerary." and for RTW award "You may not purchase additional stopovers", as such it seems a stopover in Hawaii is not permitted, although you could end your journey there. Otherwise could consider positioning and commencing the journey in Canada (and coming back with second stopover in the US and forgo the last leg)?
2) Does EWR-SIN count as an eastbound flight/trans-atlantic crossing or westbound flight/trans-pacific crossing? If the former then that resolves one issue, if not you may have to take JFK-FRA-SIN (assume it re-starts), worst case with a long layover or stopover in FRA, or maybe do the transatlantic on a different carrier. I don't know the answer.
3) Does SIN-MLE-SIN count as travelling in :a continuous eastbound or westbound directino? I don't know the answer, but it may not. On commercial RTW fares, probably acceptable, but not sure about award bookings. You might have to consider going via FRA, IST or VIE to MLE on star partners so maintains the continuous direction (if you can get seats)!
Old Feb 9, 2021, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
HNL is a difficult stopover point. there are limited choices back to continental US, United only or maybe AC.
United Y seems to be fine for the date range that I'm looking for returning to US. Can forget J for anytime :/

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Three potential issues with your itinerary:
1) Stopover within the US ... as "Complimentary stopovers are not permitted in a purely domestic itinerary, or within the country of departure in an international itinerary." and for RTW award "You may not purchase additional stopovers", as such it seems a stopover in Hawaii is not permitted, although you could end your journey there. Otherwise could consider positioning and commencing the journey in Canada (and coming back with second stopover in the US and forgo the last leg)?
2) Does EWR-SIN count as an eastbound flight/trans-atlantic crossing or westbound flight/trans-pacific crossing? If the former then that resolves one issue, if not you may have to take JFK-FRA-SIN (assume it re-starts), worst case with a long layover or stopover in FRA, or maybe do the transatlantic on a different carrier. I don't know the answer.
3) Does SIN-MLE-SIN count as travelling in :a continuous eastbound or westbound directino? I don't know the answer, but it may not. On commercial RTW fares, probably acceptable, but not sure about award bookings. You might have to consider going via FRA, IST or VIE to MLE on star partners so maintains the continuous direction (if you can get seats)!
I had not thought about 1) but I thought the rules said no more than 2 stops in the same country? HI would be 1 stop? I did look at a YYZ option after you mentioned it but it doesn't seem like USA residents can get into CA. This trip is planned in June 2020.
For 2) the availability is now gone ugh. For 3) I had been looking at JFK -> IST -> MLE on TK. But TK seems to have closed off availability to MLE. Would love to stay a couple of days in IST, but new covid tests to get into MLE might also be a pain. So many different choices.... may have to see if we can get to Mexico and start from there?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 2:14 am

are you sure that NRT-HNL can be flown by June this year?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
are you sure that NRT-HNL can be flown by June this year?
They seem to be scheduling it at least...
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:16 am
Original Poster

I've gathered the points together, and now to finalize some dates. Running into a few issues that I hope someone here might be able to help with. So far:

ATL -> IST (stopover 3 days) on TK J. IST -> SIN -> MLE on SQ Y. MLE -> SIN -> LAX on SQ J.

The IST -> SIN -> MLE are available separately in J. I guess it's married segments that forces it to Y? Any luck of switching flights later? I can't split up because it likely breaks the no backtracking E/W rule to go from SIN to MLE?

Our final destination is HI, it seems that MLE -> SIN -> NRT -> HNL is a possibility but need separate segments as it goes from SQ -> ANA or SQ -> United and I am very wary of transiting Tokyo without a single ticket. So may just get back to LAX, deal with covid19 tests there, and then back to HI. Adds a day to the trip.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Carved out some time tonight and spent about 40-45 minutes on the phone. Seems that all legs have to be available in J, or at least that's what the rep told me, tried back with a supervisor to price.

ATL -> IST (J)
IST -> SIN (Y); SIN -> MLE (Y) <--- actually J is available on IST -> SIN but appears to be married
MLE -> SFO (J)

So basically they can't book the ticket because of 1 4 hour flight SIN -> MLE. Quite disappointing

Any ideas if the rep is correct on the rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.