FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Hawaii for 17,500 nonstop only? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/2033287-hawaii-17-500-nonstop-only.html)

TimesTwo Jan 28, 2021 5:52 pm

Hawaii for 17,500 nonstop only?

Hi all,
I've searched all over and can't find the answer.

Long story short, I've got a bunch of sq miles expiring because I haven't been able to redeem them over the past few years. The sq website is much better now than when I've looked in the past, but I still can't seem to redeem them. I'm trying to fly east coast to Hawaii and it shows the flights for 17,500 miles but when I click on it, it jumps to 30,000 miles. No matter what day I look at, or how many pax are on the search, it changes from 17.5k to 30k (they're all 1-stop itineraries). I changed my search to EWR-HNL, and the nonstop allows me to book for 17.5 and the 1-stop goes back to 30k. I'd rather not go to EWR for the flight (or fly nonstop in economy for 11 hours) but it seems I can only book at 17.5 on a nonstop. Same thing for nonstop vs 1-stop out of DEN, ORD, etc. So, are the only flights bookable at 17.5k nonstop?

giporlos Jan 28, 2021 5:58 pm

Very possible.... that's standard on most airlines.... availability varies... often N/S needs less... 17,500 east to Hawaii... go for it!!!

TimesTwo Jan 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by giporlos (Post 33001569)
Very possible.... that's standard on most airlines.... availability varies... often N/S needs less... 17,500 east to Hawaii... go for it!!!

I hear you but I've looked at dozens and dozens of dates and flights and 100% of the time, a 1-stop itinerary changes to 30k, even if I search for only 1 pax. Likewise, 100% of the time I've looked at nonstops, it is bookable at 17.5k. I'd have to drive east to get to EWR, and prolong the flight (11 hours!). I'm trying to figure out if it's an across the board rule that only nonstops are bookable at 17.5k. I haven't heard of that anywhere, but after hours and hours of looking, that's what I'm finding. Trying to decide if I should cut my losses and book out of ORD or DEN just to get there at 17.5 and break up the long flight, or if there's any hope at all of booking a 1-stop itinerary at 17.5k.

fone Jan 28, 2021 6:39 pm

You might want to try calling them, I believe it is due to website issue, that gives you 30k miles for both flights calculated individually.
Remember that in North America, a stopover is defined as anything more than 4 hours. With a stopover, then it will be 30k miles, but it should be 17.5k without the stopover which (I believe) the website displayed erroneously.

TimesTwo Jan 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by fone (Post 33001626)
You might want to try calling them, I believe it is due to website issue, that gives you 30k miles for both flights calculated individually.
Remember that in North America, a stopover is defined as anything more than 4 hours. With a stopover, then it will be 30k miles, but it should be 17.5k without the stopover which (I believe) the website displayed erroneously.

Thanks, I wondered if calling could help calculate correctly but couldn't find anything online to verify. I'll try by phone.

fone Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo (Post 33001629)
Thanks, I wondered if calling could help calculate correctly but couldn't find anything online to verify. I'll try by phone.

You should insist, and refer them to the award chart for that and escalate if necessary. Sometimes, the call center gets it wrong too. For example, I tried ticketing a SIN - Japan - Japan - SIN with a ticket, that should charge like a roundtrip to Japan with a free stopover, but the agent tried to charge me miles for individual segments, until I insist they double check with their supervisor.

TimesTwo Jan 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by fone (Post 33001637)
You should insist, and refer them to the award chart for that and escalate if necessary. Sometimes, the call center gets it wrong too. For example, I tried ticketing a SIN - Japan - Japan - SIN with a ticket, that should charge like a roundtrip to Japan with a free stopover, but the agent tried to charge me miles for individual segments, until I insist they double check with their supervisor.

Good to know, thanks for sharing your experience.

rapatelrocky Jan 30, 2021 5:10 am

When I asked about the fare issues, this was the reply:
Thank you for your email of 4 December 2019 to Singapore Airlines regarding redemption reservation on partner airlines.

May we share that if your itinerary consist of connecting flight above four hours for flight between the United States,Canada, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands, it will be consider as stopover and sectorize miles will be collected.

If you were to redeem one way Economy Class from EWR to HNL, it will cost 17,500 KrisFlyer miles for each passenger. Round trip will cost you 35,000 KrisFlyer miles per passenger.

You may try to issue the ticket online first. In the event you encountered any difficulty online, you are welcome to contact our hotline for assistance. We will waive off the offline service fee of USD 25 or 2,500 KrisFlyer miles.

For immediate assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our hotline.

Thank you for writing to us and we look forward to being of service to you again.

Yours sincerely

Jia Jie Moy

Customer Service Executive

Singapore Airlines

Hotline:

6789 8188 (Singapore)

312 843 5333 (USA/Canada)

02 8228 1188 (Australia)

(65) 6789 8188 (Hong Kong SAR, China)

0800 750 760 (New Zealand)

(44) 207 531 2041 Europe (including UK)

(65) 6789 8111 (Other countries)

Facsimile: (65) 6789 8777

So checked various connecting flights, as I was checking to go from EWR to OGG and a connection via DC is less than 4 hours, but it still had the fare issue - so their response still does not make sense.

lokijuh Jan 30, 2021 9:29 am

Originally Posted by rapatelrocky (Post 33004461)
When I asked about the fare issues, this was the reply:
So checked various connecting flights, as I was checking to go from EWR to OGG and a connection via DC is less than 4 hours, but it still had the fare issue - so their response still does not make sense.

So you called in, and they couldn't do it for 17,500 points for an itinerary with a connection of <4 hrs?

rapatelrocky Jan 30, 2021 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 33004783)
So you called in, and they couldn't do it for 17,500 points for an itinerary with a connection of <4 hrs?

I was simply planning and had to ask them why it was happening by email - did not follow up after that email as I did not have actual plans in place.
I would have preferred using PE or Business/first for such a long flight and no such option and United charges 90k each way with no first saver if i recall correctly.
I would probably pay and earn some miles - but not necessarily on united - but united did announce EWR to OGG direct for the future. Just not sure I would want to sit
in economy for a direct flight that long. Might be more bearable to use a layover in west coast but this KF issue makes it less cost effective to use miles there.

vitaminJ Feb 12, 2021 9:11 pm

This has happened to me a few times. SQ pricing not reflecting accurately online. I’ve called every time, explained that I tried booking online but correct mileage but price never reflects. They book for me and no charge.

miles_navigator Mar 11, 2021 7:25 pm

17.5k 1 way possible

I have booked (and then canceled due to change of plans) EWR to OGG via DEN back in 2018.

I just booked SFO to OGG.

Key is to check united 22.5k award availability on the route and ensure less than 4 hour connection.

SQ web site craps out originating in OGG or sometimes connection to OGG. In which case you call in which is what I did in 2018.

I haven't tried HNL or other airport codes in hawaii.

I am same boat with a ton on miles expiring soon so I just paid more to use it from SFO to OGG non-stop.

NA-Flyer Apr 7, 2021 9:33 pm

SQ Krisflyer program is the worst choice for North American residents to book redemption business class tickets on UA or AC :td:

Availability of Business class redemption seats on UA or AC never shows and miles sitting there until they expire and become a waste.

I regret all the business I switched to SQ Krisflyer from LH Miles and More :mad: