Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

LAX to SIN - current load levels and Y vs. J?

Old Jan 19, 21, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Looking to fly LAX to SIN in about 3 weeks time. I typically try to redeem J for TPAC flights, but J is available at the Saver level only for arrival on the last day of my entry approval (3 day window), and I am hesitant since although the flight history looks pretty good, in the case of IRROPs I might not be able to get there quickly enough. Also, I am not sure that it would even be worth the miles given the load, reduced service, and lounge closures. Y is wide open. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Would also be great to hear from anyone who has flown this route recently regarding how the load currently is.
Old Jan 19, 21, 11:44 am

Y was extremely empty a couple of weeks ago - no one in my row or the row ahead and behind. It actually felt more socially distanced than J (for some reason, Y passengers entering SIN were told to disembark first, so I got to see the J loads).

Cabin crew addressed everyone by name because there were so few of us. Remembered my beverage orders. Really good experience.

I'd fly in Y, save the miles, and not risk the entry approval which is the greater pain. Good luck with SHN!

Last edited by Agneisse; Jan 19, 21 at 11:51 am
Old Jan 22, 21, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by TinyFluffyRabbit View Post
Looking to fly LAX to SIN in about 3 weeks time. I typically try to redeem J for TPAC flights, but J is available at the Saver level only for arrival on the last day of my entry approval (3 day window), and I am hesitant since although the flight history looks pretty good, in the case of IRROPs I might not be able to get there quickly enough. Also, I am not sure that it would even be worth the miles given the load, reduced service, and lounge closures. Y is wide open. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Would also be great to hear from anyone who has flown this route recently regarding how the load currently is.
Hi,

I just flew from JFK-SIN a few days ago and am serving the SHN at a hotel now.

The were 5 pax on the JFK-SIN flight (2 in Biz, 3 in PE). I was in biz, and and the service was great, I slept about 9hrs straight and then some more. The crew does not walk around to check on you, and they tell you to press the call button whenever you want something. In biz, each meal was served on a single tray with appetizer, main, dessert on the same tray. Everything had the plastic covering. It did seem a bit lackluster, but it was for safety, and quite frankly, I didn't want to the crew to keep coming to my seat anyway.

In response to your query about LAX-SIN, I did speak to the check-in agent and she said that the loads are pretty much the same across JFK, LAX and SFO. I was expecting the loads from LAX and SFO to have more people because there is a Y cabin (JFK only has C and PE cabin), but due to entry restrictions in Singapore, only certain people are allowed to enter.

In my opinion, if saver redemption is available for C, I'd go with that. If not, I would book Y - chances are you'll get an entire row to yourself, and you can lie across it and make yourself a bed with the pillows and blankets. I did overhear the crew talking about the food - all cabins were being served the same kind of food, just portioned differently and less choices in Y and PE. I would not book PE because you can't lift the middle armrests.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 9, 21, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
5 passengers total on the flight??? Yikes!
Old Feb 9, 21, 9:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
5 passengers total on the flight??? Yikes!
Bet the cargo hold was full though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: