Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

flying + transit in covid times with children

Old Dec 28, 20, 11:27 am
Original Poster

hello,

Im thinking about flying to the Maldives in May (1th-15th) with my family and paying everything with points.
I have been looking at Qatar airlines but they seem to be out of reward tickets for my timeframe which is a petty cause mask are not mandatory in business class.

With Singapore airlines i can book almost everything in business class (expect SIN-MLE)...
I found out that even children older than 6 years need to wear masks.

so i have a couple of questions:

How strict is singapore airlines in business class. If my kids (9-11) are sleeping do they really need to wear a mask?

I have a transit of 5 hours from 05:55 until 11:00. I thought it was a good idea to get some sleep (cause for us it will be the middle of the night).
The Yotelair hotel has a 4 person cabin. But i guess we won't be there for more then 3,5 hours? Does anybody know how fast you can get from the airplane to Yotelair (and is it even possible due to covid?)
Btw this would be my flight plan:

AMS-SIN = businessclass
SIN-MLE = economy (no more businessclass reward space...)

thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions..
Old Dec 28, 20, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by hdejongh View Post
hello,

Im thinking about flying to the Maldives in May (1th-15th) with my family and paying everything with points.
I have been looking at Qatar airlines but they seem to be out of reward tickets for my timeframe which is a petty cause mask are not mandatory in business class.

With Singapore airlines i can book almost everything in business class (expect SIN-MLE)...
I found out that even children older than 6 years need to wear masks.

so i have a couple of questions:

How strict is singapore airlines in business class. If my kids (9-11) are sleeping do they really need to wear a mask?

I have a transit of 5 hours from 05:55 until 11:00. I thought it was a good idea to get some sleep (cause for us it will be the middle of the night).
The Yotelair hotel has a 4 person cabin. But i guess we won't be there for more then 3,5 hours? Does anybody know how fast you can get from the airplane to Yotelair (and is it even possible due to covid?)
Btw this would be my flight plan:

AMS-SIN = businessclass
SIN-MLE = economy (no more businessclass reward space...)

thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions..
You’ll be lucky by then if the Singapore government will have relaxed a lot current rules by then.

SQ will follow the local laws most likely and currently anyone under 6 is the only age gap that no masks are required.

Yotel is in Jewel Changi which is the mall connected to the airport. I don’t think they have one airside. If you need to go thorough immigration then you will need to do a quarantine period for 2 weeks. Plus as a tourist you won’t be permitted to travel into Singapore.

Feel free to book but most likely if permitted to travel, you will need to stay airside and will be chaperoned to where you will need to go for your next flight.

Personally I wouldn’t be booking any holiday at the moment, unless on the pretense it will most likely be cancelled.
Old Dec 28, 20, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given the situation, this is something I would leave until April. The rules may change for the better, for the "worse" or not at all. Schedules, frequencies and everything else which are of general concern for all passengers but especially with kids, is completely up in the air.

As to masks, the simple answer is that as the children are over the age of six, they must wear masks at all times onboard other than when eating & drinking.
Old Dec 29, 20, 2:45 am
Original Poster

well it seems that you cannot trust the website of singapore airlines.
i searched for a redemption booking (4 persons business class 1-12 may 2020).
It shows availability and i needed 848000 miles for it.
But when i reached out to kris chat they told me only 2 seats were available.
The suggested to try the website and go through with the booking to see if they were wrong, but my points are on my AMEX so i would need to transfer them first.... which isn't a good idea....
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat

Hopefully very strict, wearing a mask is proven to reduce the risk to the wearer and to those around them. I find it unbelievable that someone would risk their children's health, plus the crew, fellow passengers , !
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post

Hopefully very strict, wearing a mask is proven to reduce the risk to the wearer and to those around them. I find it unbelievable that someone would risk their children's health, plus the crew, fellow passengers , !
lets just say you have your "truth" and i have mine. Btw i think that the whole world agrees there is no risk for children so clearly your truth is a bit off.
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:37 am
Original Poster

well it seems that you cannot trust the website of singapore airlines.
i searched for a redemption booking (4 persons business class 1-12 may 2020).
It shows availability and i needed 848000 miles for it.
But when i reached out to kris chat they told me only 2 seats were available.
The suggested to try the website and go through with the booking to see if they were wrong, but my points are on my AMEX so i would need to transfer them first.... which isn't a good idea....
i called KrisFlyer and the chat was wrong. I was able to book the flight through them!
Old Dec 29, 20, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
lets just say you have your "truth" and i have mine. Btw i think that the whole world agrees there is no risk for children so clearly your truth is a bit off.
But, that is not the question. The question is whether this carrier requires masks for children of OP's age. It does.

Flight crew are not going to debate the relative merits of various theories of contagious disease.
Old Dec 29, 20, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska
your "truth" is rather convenient.

There is little risk to the children themselves. But the risk of them spreading to others is equally high as an adult. A mask is not to protect the one wearing the mask; it is to reduce air droplet spreading to others.
Scifience likes this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
your "truth" is rather convenient.

There is little risk to the children themselves. But the risk of them spreading to others is equally high as an adult. A mask is not to protect the one wearing the mask; it is to reduce air droplet spreading to others.
another example of my truth / your truth, but again also your truth is a bitt off. Besides covid not being dangerous for children the likely hood of them getting infected is very small (and even smaller: them getting sick) and thus the chance of them being spreader also. The effect of small children thinking they are going to kill other ppl by not wearing a mask is a much, much bigger thing to worry about. But hey! nowadays everybody can have his truth so let's not discuss the panic virus in this topic and stick to the original question.
Old Dec 30, 20, 12:57 am

Programs: Alaska
another example of my truth / your truth, but again also your truth is a bitt off. Besides covid not being dangerous for children the likely hood of them getting infected is very small (and even smaller: them getting sick) and thus the chance of them being spreader also. The effect of small children thinking they are going to kill other ppl by not wearing a mask is a much, much bigger thing to worry about. But hey! nowadays everybody can have his truth so let's not discuss the panic virus in this topic and stick to the original question.
show me your "truth" that "the likely hood of them getting infected is very small (and even smaller: them getting sick) and thus the chance of them being spreader also."
Old Dec 30, 20, 3:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
show me your "truth" that "the likely hood of them getting infected is very small (and even smaller: them getting sick) and thus the chance of them being spreader also."
He cannot because this is absolute rubbish, many people are asymptomatic but still can spread the virus,

The masks are a way to reduce giving and receiving, the only argument is how effective, but the vast majority of people either loom at scientific evidence or use simple common sense !

The millions of children around the worls wearing masks are not going to suffer PTSD due to their concern they are going to kill someone, instead they are learning good social manners that will bode well the next time a pandemic rolls around.

I fail to understand how or why a simple piece of fabric or paper can be a problem to ( almost) anyone.
Old Dec 30, 20, 4:48 am
Original Poster

so i booked, changed the flight a bit AMS-SIN with points business class - SIN-MLE normal ticket business class and back MLE-SIN-AMS with points also business class.

does somebody know which terminal we arrive on? MLE-SIN is terminal 3 i believe.
Old Dec 30, 20, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I do not think you have a legal itinerary. I think you need to book AMS-SIN-MLE on one ticket to be allowed to fly per:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=kataac8r

Customers should book the full journey on one ticket, instead of splitting it up into separate tickets, to comply with regulatory requirements during this period.
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee View Post
I do not think you have a legal itinerary. I think you need to book AMS-SIN-MLE on one ticket to be allowed to fly per:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=kataac8r
ah that is a very valid point thanks for that. I didn't do the split. Singapore Airlines did that while i was on the phone with them. but i can imagine that they don't know all the rules..
I'll contact them. again thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: