Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Krisflyer North America Y award - 25,000 one way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM

I am trying to book an award ticket from YVR to BOS return and when I first get the results it shows 12,500 miles + taxes which looks normal but when I make the selection it goes up to 25,000 miles each way.
Flights are with UA usually via DEN and I thought that mileage per segment is only charged if it is a one way.

Is this normal that all flight awards are per segment and a North America roundtrip if it's not nonstop is 50,000 miles?

I've never used SQ miles for a North America award, only Europe and Asia where it was not calculated per segment unless things have now changed.

Last edited by yvrcnx; Nov 29, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Official SQ *A award chart is showing 25K for NA RT.

I am not sure what has happened. But I am sure that 12.5K is incorrect, at least for RT.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Official SQ *A award chart is showing 25K for NA RT.

I am not sure what has happened. But I am sure that 12.5K is incorrect, at least for RT.
Actually the one way shows at 12.5k which seems right but when I enter the return it brings it up to 50,000 for the roundtrip which seems double of what it should be unless they charge 12.5k per segment. (YVR-DEN-BOS/BOS-DEN-YVR)
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Here are 2 screenshots what comes up at the initial search and results and once I use the confirm button for the return it jumps up to 50,000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by yvrcnx; Nov 29, 2020 at 6:18 pm
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Here are 2 screenshots what comes up at the initial search and results and once I use the confirm button for the return it jumps up to 50,000.
Either call KF or book it separately.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Either call KF or book it separately.
Probably have to call KF since even if booked as a one way, it jumps up to 25,000miles instead of the 12,500.

I just read this on the SQ Star Alliance Round Trip Award chart:

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...ward_Apr19.pdf

"The mileage required for one-way Star Alliance awards that includes at least one stopover will be calculated based on each flight sector in the itinerary, unless otherwise specified in our Terms and Conditions."

If I am reading this right, it does look like SQ is charging the 12,500 miles on each segment and I'll probably save my KF miles for something with better value.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Probably have to call KF since even if booked as a one way, it jumps up to 25,000miles instead of the 12,500.

I just read this on the SQ Star Alliance Round Trip Award chart:

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...ward_Apr19.pdf

"The mileage required for one-way Star Alliance awards that includes at least one stopover will be calculated based on each flight sector in the itinerary, unless otherwise specified in our Terms and Conditions."

If I am reading this right, it does look like SQ is charging the 12,500 miles on each segment and I'll probably save my KF miles for something with better value.
For North American itineraries, a stopover is defined as >4 hrs at the transit point (for other itineraries it is >24hrs), so from above you should be OK to be treated as one journey without incurring the additional charge. I would call. SQ's IT is not exactly famous for being free of errors ....
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:29 am

https://mainlymiles.com/2019/08/12/s...light-segment/

it have been one year n not yet resolved.
yvrcnx and lokijuh like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

Hard to believe that even after one year they weren't able to fix it or maybe it's just not a priority right now.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

Hard to believe that even after one year they weren't able to fix it or maybe it's just not a priority right now.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lokijuh
For North American itineraries, a stopover is defined as >4 hrs at the transit point (for other itineraries it is >24hrs), so from above you should be OK to be treated as one journey without incurring the additional charge. I would call. SQ's IT is not exactly famous for being free of errors ....
Spot on. The under 4hrs on purely NA itineraries is naughty as not well explained anywhere and while the booking engine should price it correctly (as it initially does show the proper miles required for OP's specific itinerary), I would also venture a guess that this is in the backlog of items to be taken care off eventually. This type of intra NA redemption is not that common / frequent I would think so it may be deemed less urgent.

OP should call and be prepared to even talk to a supervisor if needed as not all agents will know the specifics of such NA redemption itineraries and could very well try to quote you 12.5k mls per flight as well meaning 25k per OW trip. YMMV. May the force be with you .
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Spot on. The under 4hrs on purely NA itineraries is naughty as not well explained anywhere and while the booking engine should price it correctly (as it initially does show the proper miles required for OP's specific itinerary), I would also venture a guess that this is in the backlog of items to be taken care off eventually. This type of intra NA redemption is not that common / frequent I would think so it may be deemed less urgent.

OP should call and be prepared to even talk to a supervisor if needed as not all agents will know the specifics of such NA redemption itineraries and could very well try to quote you 12.5k mls per flight as well meaning 25k per OW trip. YMMV. May the force be with you .
Last year, I was looking at EWR to OGG, and EWR to HNL direct flight was correct, but all flights to OGG had stopover, and had same issue reported above. I emailed SQ, but they claimed it will be priced per segment. I guess the rules don't matter and broken IT makes it easier for them - so no incentive to fix it.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
Last year, I was looking at EWR to OGG, and EWR to HNL direct flight was correct, but all flights to OGG had stopover, and had same issue reported above. I emailed SQ, but they claimed it will be priced per segment. I guess the rules don't matter and broken IT makes it easier for them - so no incentive to fix it.
I'm confused did the flights to OGG have a stopover (>4hrs) or a layover (<4 hrs) ?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I'm confused did the flights to OGG have a stopover (>4hrs) or a layover (<4 hrs) ?
I had forgotten exactly - but just remembered - they said positioning flights longer than 4 hours are priced per segment. going via DEN was just over 4 hours, so would not have helped. Others were via LAX and SFO. I don't think layover time was the issue.

EDIT - Text from response:

Thank you for your email of 4 December 2019 to Singapore Airlines regarding redemption reservation on partner airlines.

May we share that if your itinerary consist of connecting flight above four hours for flight between the United States,Canada, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands, it will be consider as stopover and sectorize miles will be collected.

If you were to redeem one way Economy Class from EWR to HNL, it will cost 17,500 KrisFlyer miles for each passenger. Round trip will cost you 35,000 KrisFlyer miles per passenger.

Last edited by rapatelrocky; Dec 4, 2020 at 5:33 am
Old Dec 4, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
I had forgotten exactly - but just remembered - they said positioning flights longer than 4 hours are priced per segment. going via DEN was just over 4 hours, so would not have helped. Others were via LAX and SFO. I don't think layover time was the issue.

EDIT - Text from response:

Thank you for your email of 4 December 2019 to Singapore Airlines regarding redemption reservation on partner airlines.

May we share that if your itinerary consist of connecting flight above four hours for flight between the United States,Canada, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands, it will be consider as stopover and sectorize miles will be collected.

If you were to redeem one way Economy Class from EWR to HNL, it will cost 17,500 KrisFlyer miles for each passenger. Round trip will cost you 35,000 KrisFlyer miles per passenger.
So i checked a stop at Chicago , as it is 2+ hours from EWR - with ORD to OGG being 9+ hours, and it still changes from 35k to 60k per person. Guess the HNL direct flight is only real option for now, but very long flight for economy. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.