Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to start SIN-JFK flights on Nov 9, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Just in: Singapore Airlines has announced it'll resume non-stop Airbus A350 flights to New York from November 9 - and this time we're actually talking New York, as in JFK rather than Newark.

Operating to JFK International Airport would allow Singapore Airlines to better accommodate a mix of passenger and cargo traffic on its services to New York in the current operating climate. SIA’s non-stop services to New York would also be supported by the growing number of transfer passengers who can now transit via Singapore’s Changi Airport.
SIA also anticipates significant cargo demand from a range of industries based in the New York metro area, including pharmaceuticals, e-commerce and technology firms. The new service will provide the only non-stop air cargo link from the U.S. Northeast to Singapore, which serves as a regional distribution hub for many major U.S.-based companies.
Flights SQ24/SQ24 will operate thrice weekly, and use a standard three-class A350-900 instead of the two-class A350-900ULR which used to fly SIN-EWR.

A smidge more at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ts-to-new-york, but all the core info is already shared above, so link-clicking is entirely optional.

Last edited by djsflynn; Oct 20, 2020 at 5:43 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:03 am

And from the local Singapore newspaper

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...box=1603184989

sounds very comfy.... limited pax due to range, plane type (regular A359), significant cargo and payload restrictions
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:49 am

In have some award tickets on SQ 25/26 booked for late January. I’ve been holding off on cancelling them until SQ extends the free cancellation period to 1/31/21. Does this announcement have any effect on my ability to cancel? Additionally, what do you think the likelihood is of the free cancellation period being extended. Given the timing of extensions in the past, it would see the next extension is coming soon if it occurs.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:37 am

I see it partially on expertflyer (shows up on flight availability, selling business Z/C/J & pe S/T & economy Y/B/E), aka not selling discounted tickets

Seat map shows Almost every seat is blocked out for now(a few seats selected, likely from existing sin-ewr flight)

GFlights/ota not showing yet, but sq.com has it. Expensive as you would imagine even for just regular economy ($2800 sgd) roundtrip

Fly ua/nh if you want cheaper

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 20, 2020 at 11:57 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
And from the local Singapore newspaper

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...box=1603184989

sounds very comfy.... limited pax due to range, plane type (regular A359), significant cargo and payload restrictions
Singapore does not have special travel arrangements with the US.
Not sure what the article is talking about?

Covid related arrangement(explaining there are no green lanes between sin&usa)
Or no need for special approval for flight due to sin&usa openskies
Or no domestic connections? (Sq partners with alaska and jetblue domestically, not that many domestic connections available at JFK without backtracking a lot)

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 20, 2020 at 10:52 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:27 pm

Plus Jfk not added to approved departure cities for transit.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:17 pm

As I interpret it, inbound service is only available for Singapore citizens, permanent residents, eligible visa holders (work permit, student pass) or if the govt has pre-approved a person to enter Singapore due to circumstances.

For outbound I understand there are no special covid restrictions to enter the US, unless the US govt designates certain countries or citizenships like earlier this year.

the way I read it is because of the mileage and weight of the cargo, the max number of passengers may be restricted. I think they are following EVA’s lead where I recall reading cargo ops drove more profit than pax ops.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Does anyone know why this flight moved to JFK as opposed to EWR? Not that I object, I actually prefer JFK in general.
If I had to speculate - its desire for SQ to maintain the slot. Though I would like to think the slot waivers are still in effect.
My best guess is CARGO is paying for this flight, the passengers are just profit.

The facilities at T4 are better compared to EWR Terminal B where the SQ flights departs from.

As someone with a home in New York, I hope this doesn't mean the end of the JFK-FRA-SIN A380 flights…
CedarSwampThing likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Long haul cargo doesn't make sense from a financial perspective, particularly when you need a light aircraft. Better and cheaper to load SIN-FRA-JFK than SIN-JFK, even with a few hours delay.

I suspect there is more to this story. Keeping slots alive? Keeping staff occupied? This route with low utilisation is most certainly an cash burner or at best covering cost.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by setho212
In have some award tickets on SQ 25/26 booked for late January. I’ve been holding off on cancelling them until SQ extends the free cancellation period to 1/31/21. Does this announcement have any effect on my ability to cancel? Additionally, what do you think the likelihood is of the free cancellation period being extended. Given the timing of extensions in the past, it would see the next extension is coming soon if it occurs.
IMO the only development that might stop extension of free cancellation would be travel bubble arrangements like what we're (hopefully) getting soon with HK.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:12 am

I don’t see the point in adding it as a city if it’s not approved for transit through Singapore. This has been my departure city for years for transit to Singapore to Bangkok. This really sucks. I am sure it’s short term plus Bangkok is closed off. Anyone as frustrated as I am with this new life. Lol
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:58 am

Puzzles me as well cause if cargo is the objective EWR will have better highway and industrial access to different point of NE US than JFK.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Puzzles me as well cause if cargo is the objective EWR will have better highway and industrial access to different point of NE US than JFK.
Originally Posted by davidj1
Long haul cargo doesn't make sense from a financial perspective, particularly when you need a light aircraft. Better and cheaper to load SIN-FRA-JFK than SIN-JFK, even with a few hours delay.

I suspect there is more to this story. Keeping slots alive? Keeping staff occupied? This route with low utilisation is most certainly an cash burner or at best covering cost.
Sq isnt operating jfk-fra-sin

Maybe there are some time sensitive volume-limited (aka light) package that an existing jfk customer needs. pharmaceutical delivery were examples of cargo on ewr flight (light time sensitive package), though I'd say most pharmaceutical companies are closer to ewr
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by Triniflyer868
I don’t see the point in adding it as a city if it’s not approved for transit through Singapore. This has been my departure city for years for transit to Singapore to Bangkok.
Why would it not be approved? There is no reason for controlled transit not to be allowed.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The quote in OP and the Straits Times article pretty clearly identify this as a specialized cargo play, especially given those schedules. That said, if/when the A359-ULH returns to service, I selfishly hope they keep the flight out of JFK. In addition to EWR being a less pleasant terminal (at least until the airport is rebuilt), VS have permanently closed their EWR Clubhouse. (For me, at least, JFK also has better transportation options.)

I guess there's still the question of UA-SQ feed at EWR, but I wonder how significant that really is/was (especially given the A380 operated out of JFK), and maybe some portion of that could be recovered via B6 at JFK.

Last edited by bennos; Oct 21, 2020 at 8:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.