Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:10 am
Original Poster

SQ has today announced a new program of "Discover Your Singapore Airlines" experiences. These are three sets of on-the-ground activities – and alas, the airline is sadly not going ahead with its sightseeing SIN-SIN 'flight to nowhere".

Here's a copy of the press release issued today: I figured this might serve well as a new thread so that SIN-based FTers can share news, updates and once it all kicks off, can share their actual experiences.

----

Singapore Airlines (SIA) today launched the Discover Your Singapore Airlines suite of experiences, which comprises three exciting and all-new initiatives that have been specially curated for our customers and fans in Singapore over the next few weeks.

Restaurant A380 @ Changi offers an exclusive dining experience with SIA’s award- winning service inside the Airbus A380, the world’s largest passenger aircraft. Diners can choose from special menus for each cabin class. Options include our signature international cuisine, as well as the best dishes from our special Peranakan menu that has been designed by acclaimed Singaporean chef Shermay Lee. Limited slots for an exclusive pre-lunch tour of the A380 will also be available. All diners will receive KrisShop discounts, a limited edition goodie bag and additional gifts if they turn up in traditional heritage wear. Reservations start on 12 October 2020, and Restaurant A380 @ Changi will operate on 24 and 25 October 2020.

Over two weekends in November during the school holidays, Inside Singapore Airlines will provide an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of our training facilities with a wide range of activities for the entire family. Visitors will be brought on a tour of more than 70 years of SIA’s history, get an opportunity to interact with our pilots and cabin crew, and find out more about the intensive training that they undergo.

Children can enjoy craft activities such as balloon sculpting and making their own batik roses. They will also have the option to dress up and role play as cabin crew, and take home their very own SIA sarong kebaya uniform. Adults can choose to operate a full flight simulator, taste some of our premium in-flight wine labels, and attend a grooming workshop. A selection of the most popular meals that are served on board SIA flights will also be on sale. Bookings open on 1 November 2020, and the tours will be held on 21, 22, 28 and 29 November 2020.

SIA@Home is for customers who are keen to enjoy the world-renowned SIA in-flight dining experience in the comfort of their own home. They can choose from 10 menus featuring our exclusive First Class and Business Class meals, which will come complete with wine or champagne. Limited edition dining ware and amenities are also available depending on the package chosen. The special cabin crew concierge service for SIA@Home bookings opens on 5 October 2020.

More information on the Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences can be found on the Singapore Airlines website. All three experiences will be exclusively available for booking via the KrisShop website. KrisFlyer members can redeem their miles to pay for these experiences or earn miles on their purchases.

SIA will implement enhanced cleaning procedures at all premises, as well as precautionary measures such as temperature screening, safe distancing and the SafeEntry digital check-in system, to ensure the health and safety of all customers.

The Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences are the result of a market study and a comprehensive review, which also considered factors such as the attractiveness of the initiatives to SIA’s customers and members of the public, the environmental implications, and their financial viability. An idea for a one-off short tour flight, or a “flight to nowhere”, was also initially considered but not pursued after the review.

“With Covid-19 drastically reducing the number of flights operated by the SIA Group, we have created unique activities that would allow us to engage with our fans and customers during this time. These experiences offer something for everyone – from frequent flyers who miss our world-class in-cabin products and service, to couples and families who want an exclusive dining experience, and parents who are after an enjoyable activity-filled day with their children during the school holidays,” said SIA Chief Executive Officer Mr Goh Choon Phong.

“There has been a lot of interest in our customer engagement initiatives over the last few weeks, and I would like to thank everyone for their great ideas and suggestions. We are very encouraged by and grateful for the enthusiasm and passion that we have seen. All of us are eagerly looking forward to welcoming you to discover your Singapore Airlines.”

More information on the Discover Your Singapore Airlines suite of experiences can be found below, and in the official website: www.singaporeair.com/DiscoverYourSIA.

----
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:11 pm

$498 for a ten course Japanese first class meal for 2 persons. Other options also at $400++

they said u can also pay 62000 miles instead of $498. Might as well use these 62000 miles n top up little bit to fly first class to japan?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines
Pricing now announced:

Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:44 pm

Thanks but no thanks. With that kind of money, I'd go for a far lovelier meal, served by doting staff, at Odette or Jaan!
sl00001 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:39 pm

While the cost of the flight simulator is high, that's what I'd be interested in doing... meal ... meh ....
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
https://www.krisshop.com/en/store/si...QSAADYSIAOCT20

First class meal for 2pax starting at s$480 ... and going all the way up to s$950 and you have to reheat and plate yourself? I'm finding it a bit hard to imagine there being too many people who would be interested in this (I mean ... even if you're the person who pays 250-300 for a meal ... SG isn't short of really good restaurants at the price range which don't involve you needing to reheat your own food)
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:28 am

At first I thought this whole SIA@Home was a bit ridiculous ... who would pay this much money and then heat/plate their own food...

Then I thought, maybe it's targeted at those atas families that have maids who will do all this plating and heating nonsense for you.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:24 pm

Apparently the "atas" family can also add on a Book-the-Chef service, where a chef can come and microwave the meal for you!
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
In other news, Restaurant A380 sold out completely within hours minutes* of being made available at midnight. Wonder if SQ will do more sessions, I can't think of any real reason preventing them from doing so.

* thanks for the correction tango3

Last edited by shuigao; Oct 11, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Good for them. Not sure it will be a huge money maker, but if it is any indication of pent up travel (experience) demand then it should bode well for SIA for the day we all are permitted safely to travel again.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by shuigao
In other news, Restaurant A380 sold out completely within hours of being made available at midnight. Wonder if SQ will do more sessions, I can't think of any real reason preventing them from doing so.
The Flight Simulator experience will be a hard to get one for sure now! I'd better be ready before midnight to pick up one of the flew slots.

Maybe selling Flight Simulator experiences will be much more profitable (covering their costs) than the dining stuff
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
In other news, Restaurant A380 sold out completely within hours of being made available at midnight. Wonder if SQ will do more sessions, I can't think of any real reason preventing them from doing so.
26 mins by my count haha...

Last edited by tango3; Oct 12, 2020 at 7:49 am
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Wonder if SQ will do more sessions, I can't think of any real reason preventing them from doing so.
Indeed they are, I pinged SQ PR yesterday and they've since confirmed:
* dinner sessions will be added to the Oct24-Oct25 weekend (these were previously offered only for lunch)
* lunch and dinner sessions will also be sold for Saturday October 31 and Sunday November 1

No word yet on when those new sessions will go on sale.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:36 pm

I believe one needs to add ones name to the waiting list, and SQ will contact if a seat is available.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:33 am

Note: Besides this report, I also published a video about this experience on YouTube:

I was beyond excited to get a ticket for Singapore Airlines' A380 Dining experience. I booked a Business Class seat for 321 Singapore Dollars (≈237 USD or 200 Eur).

After booking, I received a confirmation email with a link to the Supplementary Details Form, where I selected the Indian Vegetarian meal. Selecting a seat in advance was not possible (nor was it possible during check-in).

On October 24th I arrived at Changi Airport around 10am, two hours before boarding. Unfortunately, I did not get a ticket for the optional Pre-Dining tour. Nevertheless, I wanted to get to the airport early to soak up the atmosphere and activities.

Check in was at Counter 1 of Terminal 3, and here I was greeted, and quickly noticed there was a cheerful atmosphere among all the SIA / Airport staff. At the check-in counter I received my "Boarding Pass" & arm bracelet, and was instructed to proceed to the SIA First Class security checkpoint.

Check-in area

Ticket received at check-in

At the checkpoint, my bag was searched and I had to hand in my passport. Once on the airside, there were employees lined up roughly every 30 meters (sorry... 100 feet), with big A380 signs, directing visitors to Gates B1-B4 where the event took place.

I tried to stray off-course to take some airplane pictures but was politely informed of the direction to B1-B4. As Changi is open for Transit Passengers, it is understandable that Singapore residents joining the A380 tour should have minimal contact points with Transit Passengers.

Arriving at the A380 gate area, I passed through the security screening and Safe Entry (contact tracing system in Singapore).

My favorite Safe Entry in all of Singapore!

At the gate, festivities were already in full swing. The pre-dining A380 tours were going on, you could caricatures drawn, pose with SIA cabin crew, watch the heritage cabin crew attire presentation, and pick up a specially made batik rose (I may be forgetting some other activities).

Heritage Cabin Crew Attire

The event was simultaneously taking place at two A380s (unfortunately I could not get the tail numbers). Upon boarding, the cabin crew were extremely friendly. I felt they were truly as excited about the experience as the "passengers" were.

I had the bulkhead seat 91K on the upper deck. While the seat was very comfortable, it is not possible to extend your legs straight out if you are tall (I'm 1.88cm / 6'2"), though I could extend them a bit off to the right.

SQ380: Singapore to Singapore in 0 minutes

The plane was full of excited passengers taking pictures, videos, and media doing interviews.

Business Class, Upper Deck

About 20 minutes after boarding, we received our welcome drinks - Singapore Sling or Citrus Delight. As it felt appropriate for the occasion, I took the Singapore Sling.

My appetizer was the Impossible Satay - a vegetarian version of Satay. It was delicious!

First course: Impossible Satay and Singapore Sling

Second course: salad with veggie patties, as well as a selection of bread. As a COVID precaution, the salad & veggie patty came separately, and I could take the cover off and mix them myself - seems like a sensible precaution.

Second course: salad, veggie patty, yogurt, bread

Main course: a delicious mix of different Indian dishes: rice with dal, paneer, spinach with corn, and two pieces of stuffed prata on the side.

Main course: rice, dal, paneer, spinach with corn, stuffed prata

Finally dessert: mixed fruit, a grape & cheese platter, and Gulab jamun cake. I topped it off with a cappuccino, and watched "Irresistible".

Dessert: fruit, cheese / grapes, Gulab Jamun cake

All in all, the food was fantastic!

Shortly before our 3 hours on board came to an end, we received a gift bag containing a laptop bag (at least that's what I think it is), a deck of cards, pen, and amenities kit.

After deplaning, we bypassed immigration by showing our wrist bands. There was not a single real passenger in the actual immigration line.

The plane I was on

Our passports were returned at the luggage conveyor belts.

All in all it was a wonderful experience; SIA did a fantastic job organizing this! My only wish is that I can take a real flight next time!
djsflynn and Carfield like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.