Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks for the great report stefang ​​​​​​!
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:13 am

Inside Singapore Airlines' Training Center

I recently joined the Inside Singapore Airlines Experience. After the success of the A380 Dining Experience, I was excited for another SQ event!

Besides this post, you can also see a video I made about this event:

The event took place at SIA's Training Center, which is near Changi Airport.

Outside view of the SIA Training Center

Once inside, I was greeted with the same level of enthusiasm as at the A380 Dining event.

Being greeted inside the Training Center

I was assigned to the tour starting at 9:45, so I had about 30 minutes to look around. I sat in the theater for a bit watching various SIA videos - e.g. about cabin crew showing what they like doing in various stopover destinations.

The 9:45 tour starting:

The first stop on the tour was a gallery, which outlines the history of Singapore Airlines in a nice way. We had about 10 minutes to explore this area by ourselves. I didn't know that Singapore Air once shared a Concorde with British Air. This Concorde featured SQ livery on one side and BA livery on the other.

Route network of Malayan Airways (which eventually became Singapore Air) Network around 1949.

Next, we saw the Deportment Room, where future SQ staff are taught about etiquette.

Then we saw the grooming room, where future female flight attendants are consulted on the right makeup / hairstyle regime based on their appearance. Apparently there are very strict rules - for example if she puts her hair in a bun, this bun must be exactly between 6.5 and 7cm (2.6 - 2.8 inches), otherwise it is not allowed. Male flight attendants have more own liberty in regards to appearance, but of course must look professional.

Next we saw various mock-ups of different aircraft, where crew are trained on service. An example of what must be learned is facing the passenger, making eye contact, and smiling while handing over a drink.

Here is a mock-up of a B777 Economy Class:

We then saw and partially got to go inside various cabins:
  • 787 Business Class
  • A380 Business Class
  • A380 First Class Suites
  • 777 First Class Seats
I really hope to experience the SQ First Class Cabins one day.. I just need to figure out how to do it without bankrupting myself:

One of the highlights for me on the tour was seeing the Emergency Evacuation Training Center. Cabin crew come here for annual training - alternating between on-land and on-water emergency evacuations.

Water emergency evacuation procedures are practiced in a swimming pool with an artificial wave maker.

Next we were shown the simulators used by pilots. It was quite cool seeing a 737 MAX simulator, as I know these will play a pivotal role in getting the 737 MAX back in the air. Apparently these simulators cost around 10 million USD.

Finally, the SQ shop has a lot of items which are cool but I don't need. I was tempted to buy a used drinks / food cart. A half-size empty cart cost 500 SGD (~370 USD) including home delivery within Singapore, or 850 SGD (~635 USD) fully stocked. If I was in my home country, I would have bought it. But as I currently live in Singapore, it would be a major hassle to move.

Lunch was included in the ticket, and I got vegetarian pasta:

All in all, it was another highly enjoyable event by SIA. Staff throughout the experience were welcoming and enthusiastic. These events are a great way to engage with the community. The next time I get to fly SQ, I will be more excited than ever before!
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:49 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Deleting to repost later

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 28, 2020 at 1:52 pm Reason: Deleting - retyping again
Old Nov 28, 2020, 2:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by djsflynn
SQ has today announced a new program of "Discover Your Singapore Airlines" experiences. These are three sets of on-the-ground activities – and alas, the airline is sadly not going ahead with its sightseeing SIN-SIN 'flight to nowhere".

Here's a copy of the press release issued today: I figured this might serve well as a new thread so that SIN-based FTers can share news, updates and once it all kicks off, can share their actual experiences.

----

Singapore Airlines (SIA) today launched the Discover Your Singapore Airlines suite of experiences, which comprises three exciting and all-new initiatives that have been specially curated for our customers and fans in Singapore over the next few weeks.

Restaurant A380 @ Changi

Inside Singapore Airlines .. an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of our training facilities with a wide range of activities for the entire family. Visitors will be brought on a tour of more than 70 years of SIA’s history, get an opportunity to interact with our pilots and cabin crew, and find out more about the intensive training that they undergo.

Children can enjoy craft activities ..

SIA@Home is for customers who are keen to enjoy the world-renowned SIA in-flight dining experience in the comfort of their own home. They can choose from 10 menus featuring our exclusive First Class and Business Class meals, which will come complete with wine or champagne. Limited edition dining ware and amenities are also available depending on the package chosen. The special cabin crew concierge service for SIA@Home bookings opens on 5 October 2020.

More information on the Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences can be found on the Singapore Airlines website. All three experiences will be exclusively available for booking via the KrisShop website. KrisFlyer members can redeem their miles to pay for these experiences or earn miles on their purchases.

SIA will implement enhanced cleaning procedures at all premises, as well as precautionary measures such as temperature screening, safe distancing and the SafeEntry digital check-in system, to ensure the health and safety of all customers.

The Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences are the result of a market study and a comprehensive review, which also considered factors such as the attractiveness of the initiatives to SIA’s customers and members of the public, the environmental implications, and their financial viability. An idea for a one-off short tour flight, or a “flight to nowhere”, was also initially considered but not pursued after the review.

“With Covid-19 drastically reducing the number of flights operated by the SIA Group, we have created unique activities that would allow us to engage with our fans and customers during this time. These experiences offer something for everyone – from frequent flyers who miss our world-class in-cabin products and service, to couples and families who want an exclusive dining experience, and parents who are after an enjoyable activity-filled day with their children during the school holidays,” said SIA Chief Executive Officer Mr Goh Choon Phong.

“There has been a lot of interest in our customer engagement initiatives over the last few weeks, and I would like to thank everyone for their great ideas and suggestions. We are very encouraged by and grateful for the enthusiasm and passion that we have seen. All of us are eagerly looking forward to welcoming you to discover your Singapore Airlines.”

More information on the Discover Your Singapore Airlines suite of experiences can be found below, and in the official website: www.singaporeair.com/DiscoverYourSIA.

----
Originally Posted by shuigao
https://www.krisshop.com/en/store/si...QSAADYSIAOCT20

First class meal for 2pax starting at s$480 ... and going all the way up to s$950 and you have to reheat and plate yourself? I'm finding it a bit hard to imagine there being too many people who would be interested in this (I mean ... even if you're the person who pays 250-300 for a meal ... SG isn't short of really good restaurants at the price range which don't involve you needing to reheat your own food)
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
At first I thought this whole SIA@Home was a bit ridiculous ... who would pay this much money and then heat/plate their own food...

Then I thought, maybe it's targeted at those atas families that have maids who will do all this plating and heating nonsense for you.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Apparently the "atas" family can also add on a Book-the-Chef service, where a chef can come and microwave the meal for you!
Atas or whatever ..
Since some of us have already enjoyed the other SIA experiences offered from being part of a Singapore “ DO “ some years ago , etc , thought it was a good way of helping our national carrier by returning the “ favour “ .
Yes , as Singapore DO FTers , we visited the SIA Training Centre for free ..
Plus we are “ safe “ at home considering that 4 of us supposedly belong in the vulnerable group , thought only 2 were initially ..

We enjoyed our SIA@Home First Class meal with sous chef Christophe C tremendously .
The meal was surprisingly delicious , suppose it was more so at ground level It was beautifully plated and served by him .

It accorded the opportunity for my parents and us to imagine that we were on a flight again . On real flights they would be passing us much of their meals .
Being rather old , like nonagenarians , they have no intention to fly anymore especially my mother . Having said this , my father was off to Changi after our meal as he still has his CAMB responsibilities , particularly certifying pilots fit to fly
That is a good thing , for perhaps selfish reasons too , need them , the pilots , to be ready as I am off on SIA once the ATB resumes !!
Even up early now to post this as the ATB flight leaves just after the sun rises and we would be headed for the airport about this time .

The caviar

Chestnut veloute with truffle

The first of 2 lobster dishes

Breads , the much missed garlic bread for many

Lobster main

Beef ribs main

Cheeses , desserts and fruit

Chicken satay was served before the real meal commenced .
Would have enjoyed it more if the lamb satay was served but this SIA@Home is not that first class in various aspects including this . Nonetheless , it was good to see at least one who is behind our inflight meals to thank them in person too .

If you are wondering why the portions are rather small in the photos , well , the appetisers and mains are shown halved as they were divided for 4 of us !
You will note different crockery as besides the SIA Wedgwood , we used our Christofle - not realising that Christophe hails from France

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 28, 2020 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:25 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Krisshop selling 2 hour Simulator Experiences!!

https://www.krisshop.com/en/product/...s1JTXzUomADgVg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.