Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Idea about current passenger load levels LHR-SIN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG

With the stringent rules about returning to Singapore I was wondering if someone had any experience with SQ flights from LHR to Singapore?
I returned recently to the UK on Qatar and both flights SIN-DOH-LHR where very very busy.

I'm now approved to return to Singapore in early October and debating whether it's worth flying in a premium cabin or just wing it and hope for a row for myself?

I'm hoping that with the MOM / ICA approval and the quarantaine there wouldn't be that many people but at the same time LHR-SIN is a popular route and I'm sure more people will be in a similar situation.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by AAtticus
With the stringent rules about returning to Singapore I was wondering if someone had any experience with SQ flights from LHR to Singapore?
I returned recently to the UK on Qatar and both flights SIN-DOH-LHR where very very busy.

I'm now approved to return to Singapore in early October and debating whether it's worth flying in a premium cabin or just wing it and hope for a row for myself?

I'm hoping that with the MOM / ICA approval and the quarantaine there wouldn't be that many people but at the same time LHR-SIN is a popular route and I'm sure more people will be in a similar situation.
I flew London to Singapore in April and it was nearly empty, which is of course while Singapore had some of it's most restrictive policies in place [in case you're interested: Travelling during the time of corona ...]

This girl and her boyfriend flew the opposite direction [
] in economy and it seemed quite full.

Of course, this is not the question you are asking, but it's a data point.

Personally I would fly premium given the high infection rate (and probably a lot of undiscovered infection) in the UK. There seems to be a reasonably low chance of infection on a plane due to sanitization and rapid air filtration, but why take the chance on a 13 hour flight?

Since you are definitely going to fly, I wish you good health on your journey and try not to get too bored at the hotel for 2 weeks!

AAtticus likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Thanks for that information, yes I'm having the same idea about the cabin choice.
Definitely do not want to test positive on arrival during my SHN at a hotel and be liable for costs.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Thanks for that information, yes I'm having the same idea about the cabin choice.
Definitely do not want to test positive on arrival during my SHN at a hotel and be liable for costs.
Safe travels!

Maybe share your experience with us when you get to Singapore?
AAtticus likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines
UK CAA data shows 4,323 passengers at Heathrow to and from Singapore in July 2020.

There were 26 SIA flights (x 253 capacity) and 36 BA flights (x 299 capacity) during the month (arrivals and departures combined).

Total passengers: 4,323
Total capacity: 17,342
= Avg. Load factor: 24.9%

That might not compare too closely to October but it gives you an idea. SIA increased its LHR flights to daily in August and is increasing further to 12x weekly in September.
vantage03 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 11:50 am

My guess is the increase is to cater to returning students to the UK and increased connections which would also lean towards London, so flights into Singapore would be quieter. But I'll be travelling back once my office reopens and will be going for J just in case, there have been a few imported cases from the UK, bad enough having to stump up for the hotel let alone COVID costs + the shame of a mention in the press
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sammyg901
My guess is the increase is to cater to returning students to the UK and increased connections which would also lean towards London, so flights into Singapore would be quieter. But I'll be travelling back once my office reopens and will be going for J just in case, there have been a few imported cases from the UK, bad enough having to stump up for the hotel let alone COVID costs + the shame of a mention in the press
Ok but students are usually extremely low yield...
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Originally Posted by fly747first
Ok but students are usually extremely low yield...
You have no idea how many of these Singaporean students that study in the UK are on super comfy (and high yield) "mummy-daddy scholarships", J seats included. I've seen UK students returning to Singapore and flying Suites, more than once.
FlyerEC, DiamondMile and sammyg901 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by tth_ben
You have no idea how many of these Singaporean students that study in the UK are on super comfy (and high yield) "mummy-daddy scholarships", J seats included. I've seen UK students returning to Singapore and flying Suites, more than once.
​​​​​​Jeesh! My children are heading to the UK for studies soon, and already dreading to start travelling economy thereon. As parents, we absolutely don't intend to spoil them at the dawn of their independent lives!
Old Oct 10, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
tth_ben, you are right about very rich parents with a number of children flying on premium classes as I have been following one mainland Chinese youtuber Wandering Scholar ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz..._5zPloVbLtId_A ) who is currently 18 years old this year 2020 studying in States for his high school diploma. Just watch his past videos and how I envy him because I had to fly coach all the way across Pacific to the States and after almost 3 years once graduated and I am back again coach. This teenage boy travel every school holidays back and forth on premium classes.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tth_ben
If you say so, but never seen these allegedly affluent students in Suites/First in over 10 years of flying exclusively in SQ F
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Originally Posted by fly747first
If you say so, but never seen these allegedly affluent students in Suites/First in over 10 years of flying exclusively in SQ F
Yes, I say so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.