FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   LAX -> SIN next week. Worth bidding for Business class upgrade during COVID? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/2024346-lax-sin-next-week-worth-bidding-business-class-upgrade-during-covid.html)

kryz Sep 1, 2020 12:30 pm

LAX -> SIN next week. Worth bidding for Business class upgrade during COVID?

Flying LAX to SIN next week (Sept 2020, for business). This is my first time flying SQ (usually fly United) and we're flying on an A350-900. I am in economy and was wondering, is it worth bidding for Business at this time? If so, how much should I bid? I can bid anywhere from $1190 - $2895. Plane looks pretty empty. Or should I just bid for Premium Economy ($205 - $480) instead?

I would love to experience SQ at its fullest since I have heard good things about it but I flew KLM business (LAX -> AMS) a month ago and the experience was very disappointing; only bottled water, one cold meal (a sandwich) and one ...... hot meal. Is SQ is any better?

a5un Sep 1, 2020 1:53 pm

Based on the current load, just lie down 4 across on the middle seats. It's not worth coughing up $ for the upgrade.

carrotjuice Sep 1, 2020 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by a5un (Post 32645579)
Based on the current load, just lie down 4 across on the middle seats. It's not worth coughing up $ for the upgrade.

Indeed. There was once I saw someone bring a (rolled up) sleeping bag - specifically for this purpose! Clever.

lokijuh Sep 1, 2020 6:08 pm

Yes. Except it will be only 3 seats across the middle, but same principle applies. Or it could be 3 seats at the side with the pillow on the fuselage.

It is debatable about paying for upgrade to business, it may or may not be worthwhile (bed is flat and should there be turbulence seat belt is designed to be used in sleeping mode - whereas lying across 3 seats can be a bit lumpy and awkward when there is turbulence) .

But I would not pay for upgrade to premium economy when planes are very empty. The arm rests are fixed (except between the middle 2 seats) so no spreading out by lifting arm rests up.

carrotjuice Sep 1, 2020 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 32646043)
... lying across 3 seats can be a bit lumpy and awkward when there is turbulence.

Hence, the sleeping bag solution! Better padding for the lumpiness... LOL

fone Sep 1, 2020 8:31 pm

For empty plane, I'd rather be in economy than premium economy. Premium economy, only the middle two seats can combine, the rest of the arm-rests are not movable.
For econ 3 seat lie flat vs business class. Depends on how tall are you, and how much are you willing to spend for the extra room. I'm 6 feet tall (1.8m), 4 econ seats is just enough for me to lie flat, for 3 seats, I'll have to curl up my legs. I'm comfortable in the SQ A350 business seat.

fly747first Sep 12, 2020 8:12 pm

True! The flight will most likely be extremely empty

Stratoliner777 Apr 23, 2021 1:14 am

Originally Posted by kryz (Post 32645378)
Flying LAX to SIN next week (Sept 2020, for business). This is my first time flying SQ (usually fly United) and we're flying on an A350-900. I am in economy and was wondering, is it worth bidding for Business at this time? If so, how much should I bid? I can bid anywhere from $1190 - $2895. Plane looks pretty empty. Or should I just bid for Premium Economy ($205 - $480) instead?

I would love to experience SQ at its fullest since I have heard good things about it but I flew KLM business (LAX -> AMS) a month ago and the experience was very disappointing; only bottled water, one cold meal (a sandwich) and one ...... hot meal. Is SQ is any better?

Did you end up bidding for the upgrade? I'm curious how this turned out.

sam_goh Apr 28, 2021 12:17 am

It'll be interesting. I have a LAX -> SIN in Y (intend to camp a row of seats) in June and managed to get SIN -> HKG -> SFO in J on the way back. Wonder which I'll get better sleep in!

Mlee888 Apr 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777 (Post 33198950)
Did you end up bidding for the upgrade? I'm curious how this turned out.

Interesting.

For some reason, I always thought this was similar to using points upgrade, where you would have option to only bid for the next class up - in this case it would have been Economy > Premium rather than the option to but for J too.

bpk6h Apr 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 33210870)
It'll be interesting. I have a LAX -> SIN in Y (intend to camp a row of seats) in June and managed to get SIN -> HKG -> SFO in J on the way back. Wonder which I'll get better sleep in!

Admittedly, I have not been paying close attention but surprised to see all 3 SFO flights (SQ 32, 34 and 2) scheduled on some days starting in July!

sam_goh Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h (Post 33217807)
Admittedly, I have not been paying close attention but surprised to see all 3 SFO flights (SQ 32, 34 and 2) scheduled on some days starting in July!

We'll be on one of those flights in early July. Flying all the way back to the USA to get an approved PCR test to fly to Hawaii... sigh.

sbs2716g May 2, 2021 11:32 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h (Post 33217807)

because SQ have not finalized its schedule for July. Only schedule till Jun are confirmed

Aviation2020 Jun 3, 2021 4:49 pm

In my opinion, bidding for seat upgrades must be valued against the number of points required and calculated this based on the value of the points to determine if it’s a good value using cash for upgrades.

I personally think using miles to upgrade offers the best value for those that have to travel on business trips but would like to upgrade their booking to next higher cabin.