Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SFO-SIN Flight Cancelled; Miles Expired; Free Redeposit, Extension?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United

I received notice from Singapore Air yesterday that my November booking from SFO-SIN (Business Class) had been cancelled. I was pretty sure I was not going to take the flight anyway, given the COVID-19 situation. I am also now residing in Hawaii, which makes it more of a hassle to take this itinerary, since Singapore Air does not fly anywhere near Hawaii, which would have required me to travel to SFO just to catch the flight. I had planned to do it last March, but rebooked when COVID-19 was starting to invade the West Coast. (Rebooking cost was roughly $50).

The miles in question were set to expire in September 2019, so I booked tickets for my husband and myself (95K miles each) at the end of September. Since the flight was booked for March, I figured I could fly as late as March 2021 when (hopefully) the COVID outbreak would be under control. Guess it won't be....at least not for travelers from the US.

The cancellation notice sent me a link to the COVID -19 Assistance Request Form, which also linked to FAQs. Award tickets don't qualify for flight credits, but bookings made with miles that expired on or before March 2020 would be able to have the miles redeposited and extended until June 30, 2021. There is a ^ that also says miles cannot be extended beyond that date. I also read somewhere that there would be no charge for the redeposit of miles or for the expiry extension.

Assuming my understanding is correct, that would work out fine, but I wanted to know if that is the correct interpretation, as I have never seen it discussed anywhere.

If I can get the miles back into my account with a June 2021 expiration date, could I then book these miles for a Star Alliance award? Or, could I actually book a new Singapore Air itinerary for a June 2022 departure?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pashber
Assuming my understanding is correct, that would work out fine, but I wanted to know if that is the correct interpretation, as I have never seen it discussed anywhere.

If I can get the miles back into my account with a June 2021 expiration date, could I then book these miles for a Star Alliance award? Or, could I actually book a new Singapore Air itinerary for a June 2022 departure?
Yes, yes and yes.
puddy likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.