Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIA joy flights SIN-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:28 am

Think my kid would like something like this.

Good for families to take their kids up in the air for few hours during school holidays I guess.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:13 pm

I can see a market for this, with the right publicity machine by SQ. Perhaps it’s a good option to put the all business + premium economy aircraft (that used to ply SIN-EWR) to use, and keep jobs at SQ afloat.

After all Singaporeans dig staycations. Now we even have the term daycation - go spend the day in a hotel pool and facilities. So why not flycation?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I can see a market for this, with the right publicity machine by SQ. Perhaps it’s a good option to put the all business + premium economy aircraft (that used to ply SIN-EWR) to use, and keep jobs at SQ afloat.

After all Singaporeans dig staycations. Now we even have the term daycation - go spend the day in a hotel pool and facilities. So why not flycation?
I'm sure there will be some demand, but mostly as a novelty, and certainly nowhere near enough to make any meaningful dent in SQ's $2b a month cash burn
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
I'm sure there will be some demand, but mostly as a novelty, and certainly nowhere near enough to make any meaningful dent in SQ's $2b a month cash burn
Or fly to places where there's currently zero COVID cases. Like Qantas is flying to Antartica. After all the new Transport Minister has exhorted SQ to be innovative.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Or fly to places where there's currently zero COVID cases. Like Qantas is flying to Antartica. After all the new Transport Minister has exhorted SQ to be innovative.
Small correction, Qantas is not flying to Antarctica, as such , they are just flying over Antarctica. Whether it has zero COVID cases or not is irrelevant, as no one is stepping foot on the continent.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF

Yes Asians will love this. Didn't Eva try this recently and are booked solid? People will pay to do something different from their weekly window shopping and mall hopping.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Small correction, Qantas is not flying to Antarctica, as such , they are just flying over Antarctica. Whether it has zero COVID cases or not is irrelevant, as no one is stepping foot on the continent.
My point is - flying to (yes and that means setting foot on, while maintaining social distance between groups) a continent with zero cases should be safe. That's innovation.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1
Yes Asians will love this. Didn't Eva try this recently and are booked solid? People will pay to do something different from their weekly window shopping and mall hopping.
Yup. Especially on their themed Hello Kitty flights. Am sure SQ can come up with similar with local flavour based on local culture, celebrations, food, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:06 pm

Ok. Now maybe we can take a turn around flight to NZ n Brunei since the govt relaxed the rules for quarantine.

Fly to Auckland n return immediately on the same plane.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:08 am

I personally found the announcement rather odd. You need two hands to make a clap. Seems to be catering to inbound tourists from these countries to Singapore only to improve the local tourism industry, as neither Brunei nor NZ are accepting tourists at the moment.

Perhaps flights to see aurora borealis (or australis) would attract plenty of passengers.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jaunt411
Qantas are doing 787 scenic flights down to Antarctica - 12 hour "domestic" flights, with seat swaps halfway so everyone gets a window seat half the time.

Also gets the pilots flying time up to date. Why not?
IIRC NZ did this in the past until they had a bad crash.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
I personally found the announcement rather odd. You need two hands to make a clap.
Yes and misleading headlines from the likes of Straits Times "Singapore to allow general travel to Brunei, New Zealand". As far as I know no one was not 'permitted' to leave SG so not sure they need to give permission in the first place. It's about permitting travel 'from' not 'to' Brunei and NZ.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Yes and misleading headlines from the likes of Straits Times "Singapore to allow general travel to Brunei, New Zealand". As far as I know no one was not 'permitted' to leave SG so not sure they need to give permission in the first place. It's about permitting travel 'from' not 'to' Brunei and NZ.
Anyone can *leave* SG. They just can't come back without an ICA/MOM/MOE approval. However, neither Brunei nor NZ will accept any non-citizens. But yes, the title is misleading.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Ok. Now maybe we can take a turn around flight to NZ n Brunei since the govt relaxed the rules for quarantine.

Fly to Auckland n return immediately on the same plane.
Noone is allowed to transit New Zealand
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:54 am

Well the "permission" is indirectly given by the removal of the government's "medical handcuffs" where if you do catch COVID within 14 days of arriving back in Singapore from these countries, you no longer pay unsubsidised hospital rates and can claim from your personal Medishield / Extended Shield insurance policies for the treatment cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.