Reclaiming Transferred Chase Points

Old Aug 11, 20, 1:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 13
Reclaiming Transferred Chase Points

I transferred significant points to Krisflyer and reserved a variety of flights to Asia long before COVID appeared. I originally moved the flights, and now Singapore Air has cancelled all of my flights, which were set for October.
  • I contacted Singapore Air and they indicated it would take 6 weeks just to get the points refunded to my account. It will also take this much time to get my taxes and fees refunded to me. I do not under why the points are not refunded immediately.
  • I expect that the answer is no, but is there anyway to get those points returned to Chase as Ultimate Rewards? I know that Chase makes clear that once the points are transferred, they are transferred, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the points back in view of COVID and the pandemic.
Thanks for any advice you might provide regarding this situation.
LaxJumbo is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Originally Posted by LaxJumbo View Post
I transferred significant points to Krisflyer and reserved a variety of flights to Asia long before COVID appeared. I originally moved the flights, and now Singapore Air has cancelled all of my flights, which were set for October.
  • I contacted Singapore Air and they indicated it would take 6 weeks just to get the points refunded to my account. It will also take this much time to get my taxes and fees refunded to me. I do not under why the points are not refunded immediately.
  • I expect that the answer is no, but is there anyway to get those points returned to Chase as Ultimate Rewards? I know that Chase makes clear that once the points are transferred, they are transferred, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the points back in view of COVID and the pandemic.
Thanks for any advice you might provide regarding this situation.

I believe the official answer is that points transfers are one-way and irreversible, but I was able to do what you're asking with my Amex points. You'll have to call Chase and explain the situation (SQ canceled the flights, can't accommodate you on other service, etc.) Just wait until after the points are back in your SQ account. Amex sent my request to the Membership Rewards back office and was able to process the reversal in about 3 days. Very easy. Again, this is technically "impossible" per the program rules, so it may depend on how valuable a customer you are to Chase.
OptionsCLE is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:44 pm
  #3  
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,142
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post
I believe the official answer is that points transfers are one-way and irreversible, but I was able to do what you're asking with my Amex points. You'll have to call Chase and explain the situation (SQ canceled the flights, can't accommodate you on other service, etc.) Just wait until after the points are back in your SQ account. Amex sent my request to the Membership Rewards back office and was able to process the reversal in about 3 days. Very easy. Again, this is technically "impossible" per the program rules, so it may depend on how valuable a customer you are to Chase.
Thanks for sharing the data point on Amex. I am going to try the same.
ryandc99 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 20, 11:15 pm
  #4  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by LaxJumbo View Post
I transferred significant points to Krisflyer and reserved a variety of flights to Asia long before COVID appeared. I originally moved the flights, and now Singapore Air has cancelled all of my flights, which were set for October.
  • I contacted Singapore Air and they indicated it would take 6 weeks just to get the points refunded to my account. It will also take this much time to get my taxes and fees refunded to me. I do not under why the points are not refunded immediately.
  • I expect that the answer is no, but is there anyway to get those points returned to Chase as Ultimate Rewards? I know that Chase makes clear that once the points are transferred, they are transferred, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the points back in view of COVID and the pandemic.
Thanks for any advice you might provide regarding this situation.
I was in the same boat for a trip in October. My reservation was canceled, I selected the refund option and the points were back in my KF account within a day. Still waiting for the CC refund. I too transferred Chase points and would love to get them back.

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post
I believe the official answer is that points transfers are one-way and irreversible, but I was able to do what you're asking with my Amex points. You'll have to call Chase and explain the situation (SQ canceled the flights, can't accommodate you on other service, etc.) Just wait until after the points are back in your SQ account. Amex sent my request to the Membership Rewards back office and was able to process the reversal in about 3 days. Very easy. Again, this is technically "impossible" per the program rules, so it may depend on how valuable a customer you are to Chase.
Oooh, really good to know. I'll certainly be trying this.
azj is offline  
Old Aug 20, 20, 9:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by azj View Post
I was in the same boat for a trip in October. My reservation was canceled, I selected the refund option and the points were back in my KF account within a day. Still waiting for the CC refund. I too transferred Chase points and would love to get them back.



Oooh, really good to know. I'll certainly be trying this.
Any luck?
setho212 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 20, 10:28 am
  #6  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
Any luck?
After a bit of a run around I finally spoke with someone who knew what I wanted to do and understood why. He said he "escalated" it. So, now I wait. I have low expectations, but it's worth a shot. I'll report back when I hear what the verdict is.
azj is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 8:23 pm
  #7  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
Any luck?
Update: Lots of run around with Chase, explaining, re-explaining, escalating and follow-up, my request was denied. I further escalated and was still denied, ultimately being told "you can always fly Singapore in the future, we don't do points reversals."

Disappointed, but not unexpected.
azj is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:06 pm
  #8  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 16,757
(Not SQ, another FFP) they can clawback points in case of bank’s mistake, but not because cardholder asked them to.
percysmith is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:09 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by azj View Post
Update: Lots of run around with Chase, explaining, re-explaining, escalating and follow-up, my request was denied. I further escalated and was still denied, ultimately being told "you can always fly Singapore in the future, we don't do points reversals."

Disappointed, but not unexpected.
Thanks for putting in the time, now time to figure out what to do with 350k Krisflyer points...also, the problem with "the future" is expiration. If the points didn't expire 3 years from TRANSFER, I'd be less worried.

Last edited by BHalper; Sep 14, 20 at 6:16 pm
BHalper is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:33 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 5,310
It was worth a try, but consensus here on the board was that chances were low. If SQ opens that can of worms there is no easy way to backtrack on it for other similar requests. Aside from the admin nightmare it also increases the (purchased and available) KF balance some of the banks carry so not to SIA benefit as well.
demue is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:51 pm
  #11  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by demue View Post
It was worth a try, but consensus here on the board was that chances were low. If SQ opens that can of worms there is no easy way to backtrack on it for other similar requests. Aside from the admin nightmare it also increases the (purchased and available) KF balance some of the banks carry so not to SIA benefit as well.
For sure, there are definitely worse things. Now I have a really good reason to plan a trip around those miles.
azj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: