Reclaiming Transferred Chase Points

Old Aug 11, 20, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Reclaiming Transferred Chase Points

I transferred significant points to Krisflyer and reserved a variety of flights to Asia long before COVID appeared. I originally moved the flights, and now Singapore Air has cancelled all of my flights, which were set for October.
  • I contacted Singapore Air and they indicated it would take 6 weeks just to get the points refunded to my account. It will also take this much time to get my taxes and fees refunded to me. I do not under why the points are not refunded immediately.
  • I expect that the answer is no, but is there anyway to get those points returned to Chase as Ultimate Rewards? I know that Chase makes clear that once the points are transferred, they are transferred, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the points back in view of COVID and the pandemic.
Thanks for any advice you might provide regarding this situation.
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by LaxJumbo View Post
I transferred significant points to Krisflyer and reserved a variety of flights to Asia long before COVID appeared. I originally moved the flights, and now Singapore Air has cancelled all of my flights, which were set for October.
  • I contacted Singapore Air and they indicated it would take 6 weeks just to get the points refunded to my account. It will also take this much time to get my taxes and fees refunded to me. I do not under why the points are not refunded immediately.
  • I expect that the answer is no, but is there anyway to get those points returned to Chase as Ultimate Rewards? I know that Chase makes clear that once the points are transferred, they are transferred, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the points back in view of COVID and the pandemic.

I believe the official answer is that points transfers are one-way and irreversible, but I was able to do what you're asking with my Amex points. You'll have to call Chase and explain the situation (SQ canceled the flights, can't accommodate you on other service, etc.) Just wait until after the points are back in your SQ account. Amex sent my request to the Membership Rewards back office and was able to process the reversal in about 3 days. Very easy. Again, this is technically "impossible" per the program rules, so it may depend on how valuable a customer you are to Chase.
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post
I believe the official answer is that points transfers are one-way and irreversible, but I was able to do what you're asking with my Amex points. You'll have to call Chase and explain the situation (SQ canceled the flights, can't accommodate you on other service, etc.) Just wait until after the points are back in your SQ account. Amex sent my request to the Membership Rewards back office and was able to process the reversal in about 3 days. Very easy. Again, this is technically "impossible" per the program rules, so it may depend on how valuable a customer you are to Chase.
Thanks for sharing the data point on Amex. I am going to try the same.
Old Aug 14, 20, 11:15 pm
azj

Originally Posted by LaxJumbo View Post
I was in the same boat for a trip in October. My reservation was canceled, I selected the refund option and the points were back in my KF account within a day. Still waiting for the CC refund. I too transferred Chase points and would love to get them back.

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post
Oooh, really good to know. I'll certainly be trying this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by azj View Post
I was in the same boat for a trip in October. My reservation was canceled, I selected the refund option and the points were back in my KF account within a day. Still waiting for the CC refund. I too transferred Chase points and would love to get them back.

Oooh, really good to know. I'll certainly be trying this.
Any luck?
Old Aug 22, 20, 10:28 am
azj

Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
Any luck?
After a bit of a run around I finally spoke with someone who knew what I wanted to do and understood why. He said he "escalated" it. So, now I wait. I have low expectations, but it's worth a shot. I'll report back when I hear what the verdict is.
Old Sep 11, 20, 8:23 pm
azj

Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
Any luck?
Update: Lots of run around with Chase, explaining, re-explaining, escalating and follow-up, my request was denied. I further escalated and was still denied, ultimately being told "you can always fly Singapore in the future, we don't do points reversals."

Disappointed, but not unexpected.
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:06 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
(Not SQ, another FFP) they can clawback points in case of bank’s mistake, but not because cardholder asked them to.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by azj View Post
Update: Lots of run around with Chase, explaining, re-explaining, escalating and follow-up, my request was denied. I further escalated and was still denied, ultimately being told "you can always fly Singapore in the future, we don't do points reversals."

Disappointed, but not unexpected.
Thanks for putting in the time, now time to figure out what to do with 350k Krisflyer points...also, the problem with "the future" is expiration. If the points didn't expire 3 years from TRANSFER, I'd be less worried.

Last edited by BHalper; Sep 14, 20 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:33 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It was worth a try, but consensus here on the board was that chances were low. If SQ opens that can of worms there is no easy way to backtrack on it for other similar requests. Aside from the admin nightmare it also increases the (purchased and available) KF balance some of the banks carry so not to SIA benefit as well.
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:51 pm
azj

Originally Posted by demue View Post
It was worth a try, but consensus here on the board was that chances were low. If SQ opens that can of worms there is no easy way to backtrack on it for other similar requests. Aside from the admin nightmare it also increases the (purchased and available) KF balance some of the banks carry so not to SIA benefit as well.
For sure, there are definitely worse things. Now I have a really good reason to plan a trip around those miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: