Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

no more stopovers on one way saver awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more stopovers on one way saver awards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:33 am

This has been confirmed to me by phone today - there is no ability to add a stopover for USD 100 on a one way saver flight (whether a Star Alliance booking or a wholly Singapore Air booking)
saaveraward likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoonwards
This has been confirmed to me by phone today - there is no ability to add a stopover for USD 100 on a one way saver flight (whether a Star Alliance booking or a wholly Singapore Air booking)
Aww... shucks!! SQ simply changing rules without notice?!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Call me cynical, but anything coming from a phone agent is suspect to me. The skills levels are just so varying. Unless it comes from a seasoned agent at ION Orchard or the official written T&C's are changed I'm not (yet) convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this isn't the case just may need more additional data points to form a "pattern".

A sad development if confirmed. I would have thought it offered a decent add on revenue to SQ, but maybe the intent is more geared to shut down the reward optimization that one could do via this avenue.

SQ awards are already very pricey and this won't make it more attractive. SE Asia - Europe RT in Biz is 184k KF mls vs. say 142k in LH M&M (yes atrocious YQ) or 156k mls in LifeMiles (yes availability can be tough, lil SQ) or just take those credit card points and focus on CX rather then SQ and save a bunch of miles as well. Anyways, YMMV.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by demue; Jun 20, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by demue
A sad development if confirmed. I would have thought it offered a decent add on revenue to SQ, but maybe the intent is more geared to shut down the reward optimization that one could do via this avenue.
SQ has a huge spike in unredeemed miles so I guess this is one way that they're trying to increase redemption rates without actually tweaking the award chart
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
SQ has a huge spike in unredeemed miles so I guess this is one way that they're trying to increase redemption rates without actually tweaking the award chart
Maybe, but what they need right now is cash, not a reduction in a non-cash balance sheet liability. It seems counter productive to eliminate a cash add-on that doesn’t cost the airline any more (the same number of seats are consumed either way.)
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
That's a shame if it is true. I love be able to stopover at SIN for a few days by paying the $100 last time I went to Hong Kong.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if there will be another devaluation coming. I think most airlines will end up doing this anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoonwards
I just booked a stopover on a one-way saver flight for $100 for next summer.

Stopover was in Singapore, flying SQ J to SIN, 4 day stop-over in SIN, and then SQ F to Tokyo. Maybe something changed to go back to the original policies (or maybe what you were told only affects closer-in dates due to COVID restrictions), but this was my experience today. Had to call in to book it of course, but seemed like a totally normal transaction for the CSR.

Last edited by BananaFusion; Jul 25, 2020 at 9:55 am
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
I just booked a stopover on a one-way saver flight for $100 for next summer.

Stopover was in Singapore, flying SQ J to SIN, 4 day stop-over in SIN, and then SQ F to Tokyo. Maybe something changed to go back to the original policies (or maybe what you were told only affects closer-in dates due to COVID restrictions), but this was my experience today. Had to call in to book it of course, but seemed like a totally normal transaction for the CSR.
i would think there is no change at all. Just that some of the agent when they call are not familiar (esp some new agent which were pulled from ground crews or cabin crews).

Previously , there are also some customer service agent not familiar n have to ask the supervisor to help
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:41 am

Replied to an old thread and then saw this thread had recent discussion pertaining to the topic. Also, given that several of you seem to be knowledgeable with SQ's stopover policy, figured I'd reply here.

Hope it's okay I'm reposting question here (still learning FT etiquette)...

Given that SQ's rules haven't changed as suggested by OP (and that the error msg was just signifying that IT can't handle added non-comp stopovers)...

I am slightly confused when it comes to *A partner awards booked through SQ, as I have seen different comments relating to this. Does anyone know the answer to the following questions?

1. Can a stopover be added to a one-way *A partner award by paying the $100 fee or only fully SQ operated itineraries?
2. Regardless of if the award is one-way or round-trip, does the stopover destination have to be preceded by an SQ flight? -- I have read that the flight that comes before the stopover destination has to be operated by SQ. (I.e. SIN-DXB-FRA operated by SQ and LH respectively would qualify for a stopover in DXB; however, FRA-DXB-SIN operated by LH and SQ respectively would not qualify for a stopover in DXB, bc the flight before the stopover in DXB would be operated by LH and not on SQ metal.)

Appreciate any knowledge or DPs you can share. Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by MichiganFF
I have read that the flight that comes before the stopover destination has to be operated by SQ. (I.e. SIN-DXB-FRA operated by SQ and LH respectively would qualify for a stopover in DXB; however, FRA-DXB-SIN operated by LH and SQ respectively would not qualify for a stopover in DXB, bc the flight before the stopover in DXB would be operated by LH and not on SQ metal.)
Haven't heard of such a thing, but other might be better informed. But you have chosen a bad example (or if that is the journey you're after you are in luck) By quirk of the redemption tables the two bookings are require less points on separate tickets (compared to single ticket) in economy and business, and even in First, is only 3,500 pts more as separate tickets, so you can book a stopover on that route with no or very little penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.