Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Changes to SIA's Inflight Service - "A New Standard of Care"

Old Jun 6, 20, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, Asia Miles

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...id19-measures/

No meals for all SEA and China flights (even in First & Business). Limited options for Book The Cook and only ex-SIN. No satay, cheese and fruit service, and adjusted alcohol service.

"We apologise if these measures have an impact on your overall customer experience with Singapore Airlines and SilkAir during this time."
Old Jun 6, 20, 11:09 pm

That was as of 9 April.

An updated SQ announcement on 7 June as published in the local press: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ure-travellers

​​​​​​"Those flying long-haul on business class are now served a one-tray meal, instead of the several courses served pre-Covid-19. On flights to South-east Asia and mainland China, they get a snack bag."

"... satay, which had to be taken off the menu initially because it was served as a separate course, will soon make a comeback in business class and be part of the meal tray."
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 20, 12:33 am

For those interested, here's a download link for the new SIA 'e-brochure' which will be sent to passengers ahead of their flight as part of the #SIAcares initiative.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...re-7June20.pdf
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 20, 3:34 am

Why do they say "regulatory" measures precluding them from serving hot food in Asia?
Old Jun 7, 20, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
For those interested, here's a download link for the new SIA 'e-brochure' which will be sent to passengers ahead of their flight as part of the #SIAcares initiative.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...re-7June20.pdf
​​​​​​The note on Safe Distancing is actually quite laughable...

"Markers on the ground and alternate check-in kiosks help everyone keep a safe distance from each other."

"Markings on the ground, including at the boarding gates and aerobridge, will help everyone keep a safe distance."

Even this - "Passengers are reminded to keep a safe distance when queuing for the lavatory [onboard].​​​​​​"

Yet, onboard, you're still crammed right next to each other in Economy!
Old Jun 7, 20, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Why do they say "regulatory" measures precluding them from serving hot food in Asia?
When an excuse is needed, that's as good as any!
Old Jun 8, 20, 12:14 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I think the rules are that for short flights they're not allowed to serve meals at all - hence handing passengers a snack bag as they board rather than walking through the cabin. But it is quite a long time since these changes were announced so I don't remember specifically.
Old Jun 8, 20, 12:56 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
​Yet, onboard, you're still crammed right next to each other in Economy!
Yes, that's a good point. I'm guessing though, by maintaining social distancing throughout the boarding gate, and even on board waiting for toilets, you are potentially reducing the number of people you are exposed to - to the group of people you are crammed next to (and a couple of rows in front and behind).
Old Jun 8, 20, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by onlySIA View Post
I think the rules are that for short flights they're not allowed to serve meals at all - hence handing passengers a snack bag as they board rather than walking through the cabin. But it is quite a long time since these changes were announced so I don't remember specifically.
I think it is easy enough to see if it is SQ making up these rules. Do other airlines flying out of Singapore serve meals? Garuda would be the most obvious example of another airline within southeast Asia that is full-service. I wonder if Scoot still sells meals, but it is HKG and I don't know what that is considered.
Old Jun 8, 20, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Yes, that's a good point. I'm guessing though, by maintaining social distancing throughout the boarding gate, and even on board waiting for toilets, you are potentially reducing the number of people you are exposed to - to the group of people you are crammed next to (and a couple of rows in front and behind).
Seems like a plausible rationale. But how to keep safe distance while queueing for the onboard toilet? You may stand two metres behind the person in front, but may still brush against the shoulders of passengers sitting at both sides of the aisle leading to the toilet. Unless they're keeping the aisle seats for several rows leading to the toilets vacant...

Think the "practical me" is trying to think too much!
Old Jun 9, 20, 1:30 am

Programs: JAL ANA
Alcohol adjusted to "none"...
Old Jun 9, 20, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
I think it is easy enough to see if it is SQ making up these rules. Do other airlines flying out of Singapore serve meals? Garuda would be the most obvious example of another airline within southeast Asia that is full-service. I wonder if Scoot still sells meals, but it is HKG and I don't know what that is considered.
Scoot is not selling meals anymore.
Old Jun 9, 20, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Seems like a plausible rationale. But how to keep safe distance while queueing for the onboard toilet? You may stand two metres behind the person in front, but may still brush against the shoulders of passengers sitting at both sides of the aisle leading to the toilet. Unless they're keeping the aisle seats for several rows leading to the toilets vacant...

Think the "practical me" is trying to think too much!
Don't think too much, otherwise as we board, along with our snack bag, personal hygiene pack and earphones, we'll also get a catheter
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by VAAGE View Post
Alcohol adjusted to "none"...
Someone in one of the BA threads said when COVID-19 first started, the crew upon boarding would squirt some hand sanitiser onto the palms of every passenger, and said sorry that's just about the only alcohol you're going to have on this flight! Thought that was hilarious...
Old Jun 12, 20, 1:43 am

I asked CAAS what their actual rules were. This was their response.
"In the interest of protecting the health of passengers and crew, CAAS has implemented measures where airlines have to comply with to minimize the spread of Covid-19 when flying into Singapore. One of the measure taken is to remove meal or beverage services unless assessed to be necessary due to the duration of the flight. This is to minimize interaction between crew and passengers and the potential risk for infection. However, we do note that meal services are sometimes necessary. Airlines will therefore need to assess and determine when it would be necessary to provide such services. They may also consider offering pre-packaged food to passengers. This approach is aligned with the guidance of international organisations such as ICAO and IATA."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: